School network Security - Firewalls

This is a discussion on School network Security - Firewalls ; I am working as a school librarian. How do i keep my students off of facebook and Youtube? What's the best freeware program for this? best program at any level? TIA...

  1. School network Security

    I am working as a school librarian. How do i keep my students off of
    facebook and Youtube?
    What's the best freeware program for this?
    best program at any level?

    TIA

  2. Re: School network Security

    GeorgeMcFly writes:

    > I am working as a school librarian. How do i keep my students off of
    > facebook and Youtube?
    > What's the best freeware program for this?
    > best program at any level?

    Please don't multi post. Cross posting a few well chosen groups is
    preferred. I did give an answer to your question in .misc though.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  3. Re: School network Security

    On Jul 25, 3:50 pm, comph...@toddh.net (Todd H.) wrote:
    > GeorgeMcFly writes:
    > > I am working as a school librarian. How do i keep my students off of
    > > facebook and Youtube?
    > > What's the best freeware program for this?
    > > best program at any level?

    > Please don't multi post. Cross posting a few well chosen groups is
    > preferred. I did give an answer to your question in .misc though.
    >
    > --
    > Todd H.http://www.toddh.net/

    sorry. will delete.

  4. Re: School network Security

    GeorgeMcFly wrote:

    > On Jul 25, 3:50 pm, comph...@toddh.net (Todd H.) wrote:
    > > GeorgeMcFly writes:
    > > > I am working as a school librarian. How do i keep my students off of
    > > > facebook and Youtube?
    > > > What's the best freeware program for this?
    > > > best program at any level?

    > > Todd H.http://www.toddh.net/

    > sorry. will delete.

    it is VERY simple if you can edit the Hosts file in the computers.
    Blocking those addresses at the originating points is the easiest way, and
    FREE

  5. Re: School network Security

    GeorgeMcFly wrote:
    > I am working as a school librarian. How do i keep my students off of
    > facebook and Youtube?
    > What's the best freeware program for this?
    > best program at any level?
    >
    > TIA

    An excellent filter is available in Untangle (free program which turns
    an old computer (with 2 network cards) into a great filter and security
    device. www.untangle.com
    gr

  6. Re: School network Security

    Hello, George...

    See http://www.kwickserver.info

    It is a Self-installing Linux firewall optimized for schools. And has a
    configurable content filter. Also traffic shaping and other things.

    Peter

    GeorgeMcFly schrieb:
    > I am working as a school librarian. How do i keep my students off of
    > facebook and Youtube?
    > What's the best freeware program for this?
    > best program at any level?
    >
    > TIA

  7. Re: School network Security

    "gr" wrote in message
    > GeorgeMcFly wrote:
    >> I am working as a school librarian. How do i keep my students off of
    >> facebook and Youtube?
    >> What's the best freeware program for this?
    >> best program at any level?
    >>
    >> TIA

    > An excellent filter is available in Untangle (free program which turns an
    > old computer (with 2 network cards) into a great filter and security

    Using two network cards is not possible with newer computers. They
    are making computers now with NO PCI slots, so the only Ethernet
    port you would have would be the one built into the motherboard.

    When I got one new computer, I had to switch from cable to DSL
    service with multiple IPs, and have all the computers hook to the DSL
    through the switch, becuase of the lack of a PCI slot to insert an extra
    Ethernet interface. The only method of using one computer as a
    router, and two NIC cards was no longer possible on my network,
    becuase of no PCI slots.

    I had to switch, here at the radio station, from cable to DSL,
    so I could get the multiple IPs to put all the PCs on the network,
    when I put in a new gateway machine here. I cannot use one
    new expensive sound card I purchased becuase I do not have
    any PCI slot to put it into.

    Computers really did change in the 3 years or so without having to
    buy a new one. There are no PCI slots, and no COM or LPT
    ports on newer machines. I had to buy an Ethernet capable
    printer and put that on my network, in order to be able to print
    anything. I could not use the printer I had becuase I had no
    LPT or COM port to plug it into.

    So make sure you have the PCI slots available for extra NIC cards,
    if you intend to use something like Untangle, of some other kind of
    software routers/file sharing solutions. Some newer machines will
    NOT have them. No PCI slots mean you cannot install an extra
    NIC interface.

+ Reply to Thread