Suggestions for a outbound firewall? - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Suggestions for a outbound firewall? - Firewalls ; I finally uninstalled Zone Alarm. The recent conflict between Zone Alarm and the latest Microsoft Hotfix was the final straw. My computer is now running a lot faster (especially on boot-up), so I am glad I did. And I still ...

  1. Suggestions for a outbound firewall?

    I finally uninstalled Zone Alarm. The recent conflict between Zone
    Alarm and the latest Microsoft Hotfix was the final straw. My computer
    is now running a lot faster (especially on boot-up), so I am glad I
    did. And I still have good inbound protection between the router and
    WIndows Firewall, well at least the router. Since getting FiOS two
    years ago I do not believe Zone Alarm has even logged a single inbound
    intrusion attempt. Everything has been stopped at the router, even if
    it does not stealth my computer. I had really only been running Zone
    Alarm for the outbound protection it provides, but every ZA update got
    bigger and slower...

    So I would like to get a good, non-resource hog, outbound software
    firewall for controlling what programs can and can not access the net.
    The program does not even have to provide any inbound protection. I am
    not so much worried about Trojans, which would hopefully be stopped by
    my anti-virus software and safe computing. However, I do not want
    legitimate programs "phoning home", sending whatever information they
    want.

    Can anyone offer any suggestions? The smaller the program the better.
    Free would be best, but I'd be willing to pay for a good program.

  2. Re: Suggestions for a outbound firewall?

    "Jon Purkey" wrote in message

    > The program does not even have to provide any inbound protection. I am
    > not so much worried about Trojans, which would hopefully be stopped by
    > my anti-virus software and safe computing. However, I do not want
    > legitimate programs "phoning home", sending whatever information they
    > want.

    Then configure the legitimate programs so that they don't "phone home".

    > Can anyone offer any suggestions? The smaller the program the better.
    > Free would be best, but I'd be willing to pay for a good program.

    You really don't need to add unnecessary complexity to your computer, but if
    you are going to insist on doing so then the following was mentioned
    recently in another thread.

    http://force.coresecurity.com/index.php?page=about

  3. Re: Suggestions for a outbound firewall?

    On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 13:36:56 -0400, "Cantril rasheedin"
    wrote:

    >"Jon Purkey" wrote in message
    >
    >> The program does not even have to provide any inbound protection. I am
    >> not so much worried about Trojans, which would hopefully be stopped by
    >> my anti-virus software and safe computing. However, I do not want
    >> legitimate programs "phoning home", sending whatever information they
    >> want.

    >Then configure the legitimate programs so that they don't "phone home".

    Easier said than done sometimes. Though it has been a while since a
    program has tried to connect to the net, thus causing a ZA alert,
    without first asking permission. When a program tries to connect
    without first informing me of the connection I am more likely to ask
    what type of information is being sent?

    >> Can anyone offer any suggestions? The smaller the program the better.
    >> Free would be best, but I'd be willing to pay for a good program.

    >You really don't need to add unnecessary complexity to your computer, but if
    >you are going to insist on doing so then the following was mentioned
    >recently in another thread.
    >
    >http://force.coresecurity.com/index.php?page=about

    Thanks. I've bookmarked that site and will research the program some
    more later.

    I haven't ruled out to just sticking with what I am using now. But if
    I can add an extra layer of defense without negative effects on my
    computer then I figure, why not?

  4. Re: Suggestions for a outbound firewall?

    "Jon Purkey" wrote in message
    > On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 13:36:56 -0400, "Cantril rasheedin"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>"Jon Purkey" wrote in message

    > I haven't ruled out to just sticking with what I am using now. But if
    > I can add an extra layer of defense without negative effects on my
    > computer then I figure, why not?

    Ok, do you have any or all of the following installed? And if so, do you
    have the most recent version and all available security updates?

    Windows XP
    Adobe Reader
    Flash Player
    Shockwave player
    Real Player
    Java
    Other software not listed

    If you find that you are lacking security updates (and are thus vulnerable
    to intrusion), ask yourself what stopped you getting notification that a
    critical update was available.

  5. Re: Suggestions for a outbound firewall?

    I did the same thing to my husbands machine and got rid of ZA at the moment
    it's running the windows one but I will probably install Online Armor which
    is the firewall I have on my machine and I can tell you that it is a far
    superior firewall without all the bloat and is a lot more informative and
    easier to understand.
    Have a look at the Tallemu website.

    --
    Joan Archer
    http://www.freewebs.com/crossstitcher

    "Jon Purkey" wrote in message
    > I finally uninstalled Zone Alarm. The recent conflict between Zone
    > Alarm and the latest Microsoft Hotfix was the final straw. My computer
    > is now running a lot faster (especially on boot-up), so I am glad I
    > did. And I still have good inbound protection between the router and
    > WIndows Firewall, well at least the router. Since getting FiOS two
    > years ago I do not believe Zone Alarm has even logged a single inbound
    > intrusion attempt. Everything has been stopped at the router, even if
    > it does not stealth my computer. I had really only been running Zone
    > Alarm for the outbound protection it provides, but every ZA update got
    > bigger and slower...
    >
    > So I would like to get a good, non-resource hog, outbound software
    > firewall for controlling what programs can and can not access the net.
    > The program does not even have to provide any inbound protection. I am
    > not so much worried about Trojans, which would hopefully be stopped by
    > my anti-virus software and safe computing. However, I do not want
    > legitimate programs "phoning home", sending whatever information they
    > want.
    >
    > Can anyone offer any suggestions? The smaller the program the better.
    > Free would be best, but I'd be willing to pay for a good program.

  6. Re: Suggestions for a outbound firewall?

    On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 21:40:43 +0100, "Joan Archer"
    wrote:

    >I did the same thing to my husbands machine and got rid of ZA at the moment
    >it's running the windows one but I will probably install Online Armor which
    >is the firewall I have on my machine and I can tell you that it is a far
    >superior firewall without all the bloat and is a lot more informative and
    >easier to understand.
    >Have a look at the Tallemu website.

    Thanks. Essentially that is what I'm looking for. Something that
    provides the protection without all the bloat. I can't believe how
    much faster my computer is without Zone Alarm.

  7. Re: Suggestions for a outbound firewall?

    On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 16:24:29 GMT, Jon Purkey wrote:

    > I finally uninstalled Zone Alarm.

    Congratulations (sincerely)!

    > And I still have good inbound protection between the router

    I suggest blocking both TCP and UDP ports 135 ~ 139 and 445 on *any* SOHO
    Router.
    Also, read/implement:-
    Countermeasures against DNSChanger:
    http://extremesecurity.blogspot.com/...-hijacked.html

    > Windows Firewall,

    Uncheck *all* Programs and Services under the Exception tab.
    Read through:
    Understanding Windows Firewall.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...2_wfintro.mspx
    Using Windows Firewall.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...nfirewall.mspx

    > So I would like to get a good, non-resource hog, outbound software
    > firewall for controlling what programs can and can not access the net.

    Don't bother, not needed!
    Deconstructing Common Security Myths.
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tec...s/default.aspx
    Scroll down to:
    "Myth: Host-Based Firewalls Must Filter Outbound Traffic to be Safe."

    Exploring the windows Firewall.
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tec...l/default.aspx
    "Outbound protection is security theaterˇXitˇ¦s a gimmick that only gives the
    impression of improving your security without doing anything that actually
    does improve your security."

    > Can anyone offer any suggestions? The smaller the program the better.
    > Free would be best, but I'd be willing to pay for a good program.

    Follow the above suggestions, practice safe-hex and you should be alright.
    Consider running a Limited User Account for day-to-day usage and disable
    any unnecessary and potentially dangerous Services. Configure and adjust
    Services to suit your computing needs.
    Windows XP Service Pack 3 Service Configurations

    Good luck

  8. Re: Suggestions for a outbound firewall?

    "Joan Archer" wrote in message
    >I did the same thing to my husbands machine and got rid of ZA at the moment
    >it's running the windows one but I will probably install Online Armor which
    >is the firewall I have on my machine and I can tell you that it is a far
    >superior firewall without all the bloat and is a lot more informative and
    >easier to understand.
    > Have a look at the Tallemu website.
    >
    > --
    > Joan Archer
    > http://www.freewebs.com/crossstitcher
    > http://lachsoft.com/photogallery
    >
    >Trying Online Armor now....I like the firewall status page...interesting.
    >Magic Jack is causing a lot of activity for the firewall even though I
    >requested it remember the settings.

  9. Re: Suggestions for a outbound firewall?

    Glad you are finding OA a good replacement for Zone Alarm, sorry but I don't
    know what Magic Jack is but have you posted about this at the Online Armor
    forum, there are a lot of knowledgeable people there who will be willing to
    help you with it.

    --

    "Meebers" wrote in message
    news:48b346fa$0$396$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshosting .com...

    > "Joan Archer" wrote in message
    >>I did the same thing to my husbands machine and got rid of ZA at the
    >>moment it's running the windows one but I will probably install Online
    >>Armor which is the firewall I have on my machine and I can tell you that
    >>it is a far superior firewall without all the bloat and is a lot more
    >>informative and easier to understand.
    >> Have a look at the Tallemu website.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Joan Archer
    >> http://www.freewebs.com/crossstitcher
    >> http://lachsoft.com/photogallery
    >>
    >>Trying Online Armor now....I like the firewall status page...interesting.
    >>Magic Jack is causing a lot of activity for the firewall even though I
    >>requested it remember the settings.

  10. Re: Suggestions for a outbound firewall?

    I did not replace ZA but another Firewall that was rated very good
    "COMODO?". Magic Jack is a USB thumb device that allows you to make calls
    via the internet. Will try the forum, to see why magic jack has 8 entries
    on the allowed programs. TX..

    > Glad you are finding OA a good replacement for Zone Alarm, sorry but I
    > don't know what Magic Jack is but have you posted about this at the Online
    > Armor forum, there are a lot of knowledgeable people there who will be
    > willing to help you with it.
    >
    > --
    > Joan Archer
    > http://www.freewebs.com/crossstitcher
    > http://lachsoft.com/photogallery
    >
    > "Meebers" wrote in message
    > news:48b346fa$0$396$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshosting .com...
    >>

    >> "Joan Archer" wrote in message
    >>>I did the same thing to my husbands machine and got rid of ZA at the
    >>>moment it's running the windows one but I will probably install Online
    >>>Armor which is the firewall I have on my machine and I can tell you that
    >>>it is a far superior firewall without all the bloat and is a lot more
    >>>informative and easier to understand.
    >>> Have a look at the Tallemu website.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Joan Archer
    >>> http://www.freewebs.com/crossstitcher
    >>> http://lachsoft.com/photogallery
    >>>
    >>>Trying Online Armor now....I like the firewall status page...interesting.
    >>>Magic Jack is causing a lot of activity for the firewall even though I
    >>>requested it remember the settings.

  11. Re: Suggestions for a outbound firewall?

    Sorry about that, probably because I'd mentioned Zone Alarm thought
    you'd replaced that as well
    Yes give the people at the Tallemu forum a try, I think you'll find they can
    help you.
    Good luck.

    --

    news:48b46162$0$11763$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshosti ng.com...