[fw-wiz] Move configuration from 5510 to 5520 - Firewalls

This is a discussion on [fw-wiz] Move configuration from 5510 to 5520 - Firewalls ; Dear all, does anyone knews a way, to move the configuration from a Cisco ASA 5510 to 5520 without the need to set all passwords new? I think the problem is the device internal salts which are used to crypt ...

  1. [fw-wiz] Move configuration from 5510 to 5520

    Dear all,

    does anyone knews a way, to move the configuration from a Cisco ASA 5510
    to 5520 without the need to set all passwords new?
    I think the problem is the device internal salts which are used to crypt
    all the passwords/pre-shared-keys.
    Is there any possibilty to extract this salts and set them on the other
    device?

    Best regards,
    Jens

  2. Re: [fw-wiz] Move configuration from 5510 to 5520

    Jens Brey wrote:
    > does anyone knews a way, to move the configuration from a Cisco ASA 5510
    > to 5520 without the need to set all passwords new?
    > I think the problem is the device internal salts which are used to crypt
    > all the passwords/pre-shared-keys.
    > Is there any possibilty to extract this salts and set them on the other
    > device?

    I'm not aware of this limitation. I have a basic template that I use
    for setting up new firewalls which includes my standard enable password
    and local users. The passwords are encrypted and they have always
    worked when I moved them from one device to another or my template to a
    new device.

    You should try moving the passwords over to the new box (cut n' paste)
    and see if they still work. Then the rest of the config should be easy.

    -Josh
    --
    Josh Ward
    Network Security Engineer - University of Oregon - Network Services