Trace stolen or lost laptops.... - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Trace stolen or lost laptops.... - Firewalls ; Some of you who have laptops will surely be worried about the surge in the theft of laptops. Even I was wondering on the technologies that could track stolen laptops and computing devices. Some of the things I could think ...

  1. Trace stolen or lost laptops....

    Some of you who have laptops will surely be worried about the surge in
    the theft of laptops. Even I was wondering on the technologies that
    could track stolen laptops and computing devices. Some of the things I
    could think of were – GPS dots (like in Hollywood movies), IMEI
    numbers as found in Mobiles or stealth softwares that would send the
    owner some email blah blah… .

    All of a sudden, tracking and recovery of stolen laptops seem to have
    caught the attention of companies. Quite a few companies like HP,
    Computrace have lined up solutions in this space. Although, the
    effectiveness and consistency of these are yet to be proven, some of
    the technologies look very impressive but most of them seem have
    dependency on connection to internet. I am yet to see something listed
    above on the lines of Hollywood movies I have just put some that I
    felt are interesting, Read more:

    http://startupit.org/tracklaptop

    Prasanna

  2. Re: Trace stolen or lost laptops....

    >"prax" wrote in message
    >Some of you who have laptops will surely be worried about the surge in
    >the theft of laptops. Even I was wondering on the technologies that
    >could track stolen laptops and computing devices. Some of the things I
    >could think of were – GPS dots (like in Hollywood movies), IMEI

    On problem with GPS is that it can be jammed. You can buy
    GPS jammers as cheap as $200.

  3. Re: Trace stolen or lost laptops....

    Chilly8 wrote, On 19/06/08 20:21:

    >> "prax" wrote in message
    >> Some of you who have laptops will surely be worried about the surge in
    >> the theft of laptops. Even I was wondering on the technologies that
    >> could track stolen laptops and computing devices. Some of the things I
    >> could think of were – GPS dots (like in Hollywood movies), IMEI

    > On problem with GPS is that it can be jammed. You can buy
    > GPS jammers as cheap as $200.

    Or probable make one for less than $20 if it is only jamming the public
    signals.

    Anyway, it isn't the GPS you have to worry about it is whatever method
    that is used for transmitting the positional information. If you are
    receiving the signal then it *can* be tracked down even if the signal
    has absolutely no positional information.
    --
    Flash Gordon

  4. Re: Trace stolen or lost laptops....

    "Flash Gordon" wrote in message
    > Chilly8 wrote, On 19/06/08 20:21:
    >>

    >>> "prax" wrote in message
    >>> Some of you who have laptops will surely be worried about the surge in
    >>> the theft of laptops. Even I was wondering on the technologies that
    >>> could track stolen laptops and computing devices. Some of the things I
    >>> could think of were – GPS dots (like in Hollywood movies), IMEI

    >> On problem with GPS is that it can be jammed. You can buy
    >> GPS jammers as cheap as $200.

    > Or probable make one for less than $20 if it is only jamming the public
    > signals.
    >
    > Anyway, it isn't the GPS you have to worry about it is whatever method
    > that is used for transmitting the positional information. If you are
    > receiving the signal then it *can* be tracked down even if the signal has
    > absolutely no positional information.

    There are jammers that can take of that, but they are much more
    expensive. There are dual GPS/GMRS jammers, which totally
    cut off the tracking device from whomever is trying to track
    you. These devices jam both GPS position information,
    and jam the GMRS frequencies that the devices use to
    report information back to the monitoring center.

    This is why I am against probationers, or those awaiting trial,
    wearing GPS ankle braclets. The dual GPS/GMRS jammers
    can prevent the device from not only getting positional
    information, but also cut it off from the monitoring station.

  5. Re: Trace stolen or lost laptops....

    "Flash Gordon" wrote in message
    > Chilly8 wrote, On 19/06/08 20:21:
    >>

    >>> "prax" wrote in message
    >>> Some of you who have laptops will surely be worried about the surge in
    >>> the theft of laptops. Even I was wondering on the technologies that
    >>> could track stolen laptops and computing devices. Some of the things I
    >>> could think of were – GPS dots (like in Hollywood movies), IMEI

    >> On problem with GPS is that it can be jammed. You can buy
    >> GPS jammers as cheap as $200.

    > Or probable make one for less than $20 if it is only jamming the public
    > signals.
    >
    > Anyway, it isn't the GPS you have to worry about it is whatever method
    > that is used for transmitting the positional information. If you are
    > receiving the signal then it *can* be tracked down even if the signal has
    > absolutely no positional information.
    > --
    > Flash Gordon

    As you probably know, we support the use of things like GPS
    jammers, proxies, and the like.

    And such things can come in handy. After the cyclone in Myanmar
    I went there and did reports on my online radio station, but used
    an encrypted VPN connection, so the authorities in Mymanmar
    would NEVER know what I was up to. They would know I
    was making a heavily encrypted outbound connection, but they
    would never know that there was yet another reporter reporting
    illegally (the Junta does not like reporters very much). Since
    I was using an encrypted VPN connection to my servers,
    the Junta would have NEVER been able to find out what
    I was up to. Since there is one upscale tourist resort only
    about 1 hour's drive from where much of the destruction
    was, so it was not hard to bluff my way in, by getting a
    7-day tourist permit. As long as I left before the permit
    expired, which I did, there was no problem. With the
    connection encrypted, there was no POSSIBLE way
    for the ruling Military Junta to find out what I was up to.

  6. Re: Trace stolen or lost laptops....

    Hi,

    > With the
    > connection encrypted, there was no POSSIBLE way
    > for the ruling Military Junta to find out what I was up to.

    Except for listening in on you recording your news in the hotelroom
    with the bug behind the curtain...

    Cheers,
    Jens

+ Reply to Thread