freeware firewalls - Firewalls

This is a discussion on freeware firewalls - Firewalls ; which is the best free firewall available?...

  1. freeware firewalls

    which is the best free firewall available?

  2. Re: freeware firewalls

    "damien wardell" wrote in message
    > which is the best free firewall available?

    A firewall is a computer, sometimes called an appliance, which sits between
    two or more networks and performs nothing (or very little) other than
    firewall functions.

    So your question cannot be answered without considerable information about
    what you want the firewall to do.

    I am not aware of any free firewalls because a hardware platform is always
    required.
    You also need to have considerable networking experience to correctly
    configure a firewall.

    If you are asking which is the best free firewall software to install on
    your Windows computer then all such software is crap and you should use the
    built in Windows firewall. Anti-virus software is a good idea but forget
    about firewall software.

    Also find out about backup, if you haven't already, and why it's even more
    important than anti-virus.

  3. Re: freeware firewalls

    "damien wardell" writes:

    > which is the best free firewall available?

    OpenBSD PF is extremely well revered.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  4. Re: freeware firewalls

    "Todd H." wrote in message
    > "damien wardell" writes:
    >
    >> which is the best free firewall available?

    > OpenBSD PF is extremely well revered.

    Very interesting. I just read the Core Force user guide.

    No doubt the core firewall code is of very high quality but I can't help
    thinking that pop up messages like "an application is trying to access a
    file.. do you want to create a rule?" and "Your computer is trying to
    connect to a remote computer..." will be just as useless to the average
    Windows user as those produced by the better marketed and not very good
    personal firewalls. It's my assumption that the OP was asking about firewall
    software for Windows.

    > --
    > Todd H.
    > http://www.toddh.net/

  5. Re: freeware firewalls

    "Zachary Zachariah" writes:

    > "Todd H." wrote in message
    >> "damien wardell" writes:
    >>
    >>> which is the best free firewall available?

    >> OpenBSD PF is extremely well revered.

    > It's my assumption that the OP was asking about firewall
    > software for Windows.

    That's my assumption too.

    I'm just being a pain in the ass about a poorly constrained question
    that--even if well constrained--is bound to draw the usual litany of
    the while no one giving a good authoritative recommendation based on
    head to head technical testing of products.

    :-)

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  6. Re: freeware firewalls

    Todd H. wrote:

    >I'm just being a pain in the ass about a poorly constrained question
    >that--even if well constrained--is bound to draw the usual litany of
    >the while no one giving a good authoritative recommendation based on
    >head to head technical testing of products.

    You wouldn't expect to see other than officious sarcasm in a group
    haunted by the ghost of Duane Arnold, regardless of whatever nym****
    handle he now hides behind. Maybe I'll have to peek in the virus
    newsgroup to see if he's still giving phony advice over there too.

  7. Re: freeware firewalls

    damien wardell wrote:
    > which is the best free firewall available?

    Untangle (www.untangle.com) has as one of its many components a firewall.
    Untangle is an open source project which runs on most pc's as a
    dedicated unit to function as a web filter, firewall, anti-spam,
    intrusion prevention, and more functions. It loads itself and is rather
    simple to use. Only drawback I have seen is that it does not run or load
    on some hardware.
    gr

  8. Re: freeware firewalls

    On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 21:49:19 -0400, gr
    wrote:

    >damien wardell wrote:
    >> which is the best free firewall available?
    >>

    >Untangle (www.untangle.com) has as one of its many components a firewall.
    >Untangle is an open source project which runs on most pc's as a
    >dedicated unit to function as a web filter, firewall, anti-spam,
    >intrusion prevention, and more functions. It loads itself and is rather
    >simple to use. Only drawback I have seen is that it does not run or load
    >on some hardware.
    >gr

    Yep. It looked good to me too, but wouldn't run on my rig.
    Clark Connect did, and it's great!

  9. Re: freeware firewalls

    On Jun 17, 2:54 pm, comph...@toddh.net (Todd H.) wrote:
    > "damien wardell" writes:
    > > which is the best free firewall available?

    > OpenBSD PF is extremely well revered.
    >
    > --
    > Todd H.http://www.toddh.net/

    I agree Packet Filter (PF) on OpenBSD/NetBSD/FreeBSD is the best
    choice.
    On NetBSD or FreeBSD you must recompile the kernel to enable it.

    PF on OpenBSD is so much more than just a firewall, you have many more
    capabilities.

    The Book of PF: A No-Nonsense Guide to the OpenBSD Firewall by Peter
    N.M. Hansteen, Bob Beck
    ISBN-13: 9781593271657

    ----
    http://www.1150riverviewdr.com/