need software firewall for windows 98se - Firewalls

This is a discussion on need software firewall for windows 98se - Firewalls ; Does anyone know of a free firewall that still works with windows 98?...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

  1. need software firewall for windows 98se

    Does anyone know of a free firewall that still works with windows 98?

  2. Re: need software firewall for windows 98se

    On Tue, 27 May 2008 04:24:05 -0400, CdLSRN wrote:

    > Does anyone know of a free firewall that still works with windows 98?

    http://www.oldapps.com/

  3. Re: need software firewall for windows 98se

    Thank you for answering. I don't need an old version of anything. I need a new
    firewall the works with windows 98se.

    "Kayman" wrote in message
    > On Tue, 27 May 2008 04:24:05 -0400, CdLSRN wrote:
    >
    > > Does anyone know of a free firewall that still works with windows 98?

    > http://www.oldapps.com/

  4. Re: need software firewall for windows 98se

    On Tue, 27 May 2008 04:24:05 -0400, CdLSRN wrote:
    > Does anyone know of a free firewall that still works with windows 98?

    "Kayman" suggested:

    CdLSRN wrote:
    > I don't need an old version of anything. I need a new firewall the
    > works with windows 98se.

    It's highly unlikely, as Win98se has been unsupported for at least a
    couple of years. Upgrade your OS, either to a newer version of Windows,
    or one of the alternatives like Ubuntu.

    Chris

  5. Re: need software firewall for windows 98se

    I use ZoneAlarm ver. 6.1.744.001 on my Win98se.

    Don

    "CdLSRN" wrote in message
    > Does anyone know of a free firewall that still works with windows 98?

  6. Re: need software firewall for windows 98se

    How about one that isn't free. Is there nothing that is compatible with 98?

    "Don/Gen" wrote in message news:g1hso3$4mt$1@aioe.org...
    > I use ZoneAlarm ver. 6.1.744.001 on my Win98se.
    >
    > Don
    >

    > "CdLSRN" wrote in message
    > > Does anyone know of a free firewall that still works with windows 98?

  7. Re: need software firewall for windows 98se

    CdLSRN wrote:

    > How about one that isn't free. Is there nothing that is compatible with 98?

    See, this is comp.security.misc. We're discussion security. Not good faith,
    but actual security. With Windows 98 and its lack of privilege separation,
    with Outlook Express being abused as a newsreader, and questions for a
    firewall instead of a host-based packet filter, the really competent people
    here surely consider you as a stupid and naive fool asking a horribly stupid
    question.

    Just in case that you wonder: No, ZoneAlarm is not a firewall. It's a
    host-based packet filter. A very lousy one. With a lot of known security
    vulnerabilities, a horribly broken concept, made be a malicious company.

  8. Re: need software firewall for windows 98se

    Sebastian G. wrote, on 28/05/2008 9:22 am:
    > CdLSRN wrote:
    >
    >> How about one that isn't free. Is there nothing that is compatible with 98?

    > See, this is comp.security.misc. We're discussion security. Not good faith,
    > but actual security. With Windows 98 and its lack of privilege separation,
    > with Outlook Express being abused as a newsreader, and questions for a
    > firewall instead of a host-based packet filter, the really competent people
    > here surely consider you as a stupid and naive fool asking a horribly stupid
    > question.

    .... although, yours is a (typically) horribly stupid and oafish response.
    --
    Wilf

  9. Re: need software firewall for windows 98se

    Wilf wrote:

    > ... although, yours is a (typically) horribly stupid and oafish response.

    Said someone who is too stupid to put a valid mail address in his From header...

  10. Re: need software firewall for windows 98se

    Sebastian G. wrote, on 28/05/2008 11:12 am:
    > Wilf wrote:
    >

    >> ... although, yours is a (typically) horribly stupid and oafish response.

    > Said someone who is too stupid to put a valid mail address in his From header...

    It's for my security. I don't think that's stupid at all. Because I'm
    afraid that bullying oafs such as yourself may latch on to my email
    address and abuse it.

    --
    Wilf

  11. Re: need software firewall for windows 98se

    Obviously bull****.

    > I don't think that's stupid at all.

    Why exactly do you think that ignoring a MUST in a RFC is not stupid?

    > Because I'm

    > afraid that bullying oafs such as yourself may latch on to my email
    > address and abuse it.

    Stupid. You're not supposed to read or even store any mail received in the
    mailbox. The purpose of it being an actual mailbox is to not generate any
    errors for the sender.

  12. Re: need software firewall for windows 98se

    Sebastian G. wrote, on 28/05/2008 11:41 am:
    > Wilf wrote:
    >

    >>> Said someone who is too stupid to put a valid mail address in his From header...

    >> It's for my security.

    > Obviously bull****.
    >
    >> I don't think that's stupid at all.

    > Why exactly do you think that ignoring a MUST in a RFC is not stupid?
    >
    > > Because I'm

    >> afraid that bullying oafs such as yourself may latch on to my email
    >> address and abuse it.

    > Stupid. You're not supposed to read or even store any mail received in the
    > mailbox. The purpose of it being an actual mailbox is to not generate any
    > errors for the sender.

    Whatever. Bye.
    --
    Wilf

  13. Re: need software firewall for windows 98se

    Well it was very kind of you to respond. Perhaps I am "a stupid and naive fool asking
    a horribly stupid
    > question" , that is why I ask such really competent people, who are "discussion"

    security, such as yourself,Sebastian. Are you used to only having really competent
    people ask questions?
    I am getting a new computer within a month and I have a belkin router with a
    hardware firewall. I just wanted to see if I could protect my machine in the meantime
    as I have a lot of important data on it and Computer Associates just stopped
    supporting windows 98. Thank you for responding and taking your time.

    "Sebastian G." wrote in message
    > CdLSRN wrote:
    >
    > > How about one that isn't free. Is there nothing that is compatible with 98?

    > See, this is comp.security.misc. We're discussion security. Not good faith,
    > but actual security. With Windows 98 and its lack of privilege separation,
    > with Outlook Express being abused as a newsreader, and questions for a
    > firewall instead of a host-based packet filter, the really competent people
    > here surely consider you as a stupid and naive fool asking a horribly stupid
    > question.
    >
    > Just in case that you wonder: No, ZoneAlarm is not a firewall. It's a
    > host-based packet filter. A very lousy one. With a lot of known security
    > vulnerabilities, a horribly broken concept, made be a malicious company.

  14. Re: need software firewall for windows 98se

    Thank you, Wilf.
    "Wilf" wrote in message
    news--dnWCFDIbFsqDVnZ2dneKdnZydnZ2d@posted.plusnet...
    > Sebastian G. wrote, on 28/05/2008 9:22 am:
    > > CdLSRN wrote:
    > >
    > >> How about one that isn't free. Is there nothing that is compatible with 98?

    > > See, this is comp.security.misc. We're discussion security. Not good faith,
    > > but actual security. With Windows 98 and its lack of privilege separation,
    > > with Outlook Express being abused as a newsreader, and questions for a
    > > firewall instead of a host-based packet filter, the really competent people
    > > here surely consider you as a stupid and naive fool asking a horribly stupid
    > > question.
    > >

    > ... although, yours is a (typically) horribly stupid and oafish response.
    > --
    > Wilf

  15. Re: need software firewall for windows 98se

    I suspect Sebastian is a child having fun. He obviously doesn't know much about
    "security" or he would just answer questions instead of attacking everyone. God save
    this Country.

    "Wilf" wrote in message
    > Sebastian G. wrote, on 28/05/2008 11:41 am:

    header...
    > >> It's for my security.

    > > Obviously bull****.
    > >
    > >> I don't think that's stupid at all.

    > > Why exactly do you think that ignoring a MUST in a RFC is not stupid?
    > >
    > > > Because I'm

    > >> afraid that bullying oafs such as yourself may latch on to my email
    > >> address and abuse it.

    > > Stupid. You're not supposed to read or even store any mail received in the
    > > mailbox. The purpose of it being an actual mailbox is to not generate any
    > > errors for the sender.

    > Whatever. Bye.
    > --
    > Wilf

  16. Re: need software firewall for windows 98se

    CdLSRN wrote:

    > I am getting a new computer within a month and I have a belkin router with a
    > hardware firewall. I just wanted to see if I could protect my machine in the meantime

    As I already told you: As long as you're insisting on using a trivialliy
    insecure operation system and as long as you intentionally run trivially
    insecure client software, you won't be able to secure your machine.
    Especially not with a host-based packet filter, which, in addition to a
    secure OS and secure client software, requires intimate knowledge of
    networking protocols.

  17. Re: need software firewall for windows 98se

    CdLSRN wrote:

    > I suspect Sebastian is a child having fun. He obviously doesn't know much about
    > "security"

    So that I'm regularly reporting security vulnerabilities in largely deployed
    software products must be a pure coincidence.

    > or he would just answer questions

    You got an answer: Your security approach is horribly futile.

  18. Re: need software firewall for windows 98se

    Sebastian wrote: 'this is comp.security.misc." According to my last look ...I am
    posting to comp.security.FIREWALLS.
    "CdLSRN" wrote in message
    > Well it was very kind of you to respond. Perhaps I am "a stupid and naive fool

    asking
    > a horribly stupid
    > > question" , that is why I ask such really competent people, who are "discussion"

    > security, such as yourself,Sebastian. Are you used to only having really competent
    > people ask questions?
    > I am getting a new computer within a month and I have a belkin router with a
    > hardware firewall. I just wanted to see if I could protect my machine in the

    meantime
    > as I have a lot of important data on it and Computer Associates just stopped
    > supporting windows 98. Thank you for responding and taking your time.
    >
    > "Sebastian G." wrote in message
    > > CdLSRN wrote:
    > >
    > > > How about one that isn't free. Is there nothing that is compatible with 98?

    > > See, this is comp.security.misc. We're discussion security. Not good faith,
    > > but actual security. With Windows 98 and its lack of privilege separation,
    > > with Outlook Express being abused as a newsreader, and questions for a
    > > firewall instead of a host-based packet filter, the really competent people
    > > here surely consider you as a stupid and naive fool asking a horribly stupid
    > > question.
    > >
    > > Just in case that you wonder: No, ZoneAlarm is not a firewall. It's a
    > > host-based packet filter. A very lousy one. With a lot of known security
    > > vulnerabilities, a horribly broken concept, made be a malicious company.

  19. Re: need software firewall for windows 98se

    CdLSRN wrote:
    > Does anyone know of a free firewall that still works with windows 98?

    For Windows 98, usually you don't need packet filtering. Just unbind
    any network service from your network interface you don't want to have.

    Just right-click and delete in the property window for your interface
    for doing so.

    Yours,
    VB.
    --
    The file name of an indirect node file is the string "iNode" immediately
    followed by the link reference converted to decimal text, with no leading

  20. Re: need software firewall for windows 98se

    Don/Gen wrote:
    > I use ZoneAlarm ver. 6.1.744.001 on my Win98se.

    Sincere condolences.

    Yours,
    VB.