need software firewall for windows 98se - Firewalls

This is a discussion on need software firewall for windows 98se - Firewalls ; CdLSRN wrote: > I suspect Sebastian is a child having fun. He obviously doesn't know much about > "security" or he would just answer questions instead of attacking everyone. God save > this Country. > omg you're probably calling one ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 34 of 34

  1. Re: need software firewall for windows 98se

    CdLSRN wrote:
    > I suspect Sebastian is a child having fun. He obviously doesn't know much about
    > "security" or he would just answer questions instead of attacking everyone. God save
    > this Country.

    omg you're probably calling one of the most security consciousness
    people in this group an ignorant child ?

  2. Re: need software firewall for windows 98se

    So I was wrong.....he is just a brilliant, rude, childish being. Ginny

    "goarilla <"kevinpaulus|"@|skynet" <"punt> wrote in message
    > CdLSRN wrote:
    > > I suspect Sebastian is a child having fun. He obviously doesn't know much about
    > > "security" or he would just answer questions instead of attacking everyone. God

    save
    > > this Country.
    > >

    > omg you're probably calling one of the most security consciousness
    > people in this group an ignorant child ?

  3. Re: need software firewall for windows 98se

    goarilla <"kevinpaulus|"@|skynet punt> wrote, on 31/05/2008 7:25 pm:
    > CdLSRN wrote:
    >> I suspect Sebastian is a child having fun. He obviously doesn't know much about
    >> "security" or he would just answer questions instead of attacking everyone. God save
    >> this Country.
    >>

    > omg you're probably calling one of the most security consciousness
    > people in this group an ignorant child ?

    Maybe but to use a not-very-good non-IT analogy, if I asked "how can I
    make my house more secure, what sort of lock should I buy for my back
    door", it's not very helpful to have someone, albeit someone who deeply
    understands property security, tell you something like "you shouldn't
    have a back door in the first place".
    --
    Wilf

  4. Re: need software firewall for windows 98se

    CdLSRN wrote:
    > So I was wrong.....he is just a brilliant, rude, childish being. Ginny

    So adjust your killfile and move on. Sheesh.

    cu
    59cobalt
    --Mark Russinovich

  5. Re: need software firewall for windows 98se

    the suggestion to try oldapps is VALID, a lot of current version firewalls
    no longer support running well in 98, I beleive thats why you were pointed
    that direction.
    ANY protection is better then none

    Chris Davies wrote:

    > On Tue, 27 May 2008 04:24:05 -0400, CdLSRN wrote:
    > > Does anyone know of a free firewall that still works with windows 98?

    > "Kayman" suggested:
    > > http://www.oldapps.com/

    > CdLSRN wrote:
    > > I don't need an old version of anything. I need a new firewall the
    > > works with windows 98se.

    > It's highly unlikely, as Win98se has been unsupported for at least a
    > couple of years. Upgrade your OS, either to a newer version of Windows,
    > or one of the alternatives like Ubuntu.
    >
    > Chris

  6. Re: need software firewall for windows 98se

    In article <4847524F.B377031B@nope.net>, Hp@nope.net says...
    > the suggestion to try oldapps is VALID, a lot of current version firewalls
    > no longer support running well in 98, I beleive thats why you were pointed
    > that direction.
    > ANY protection is better then none
    >

    > Chris Davies wrote:
    >
    > > On Tue, 27 May 2008 04:24:05 -0400, CdLSRN wrote:
    > > > Does anyone know of a free firewall that still works with windows 98?

    > > "Kayman" suggested:
    > > > http://www.oldapps.com/

    > > CdLSRN wrote:
    > > > I don't need an old version of anything. I need a new firewall the
    > > > works with windows 98se.

    > > It's highly unlikely, as Win98se has been unsupported for at least a
    > > couple of years. Upgrade your OS, either to a newer version of Windows,
    > > or one of the alternatives like Ubuntu.
    > >
    > > Chris

    Take a look at:
    http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=sygate
    I have been running Sygate on my Win98 for years with
    excellent results.
    Casey

  7. Re: need software firewall for windows 98se

    Casey wrote:
    > I have been running Sygate on my Win98 for years with excellent
    > results.

    An outdated personal firewall running on an outdated operating system,
    both of which will not receive any kind of support or updates anymore.
    Not a reasonable thing to do when it comes to computer security.

    cu
    59cobalt
    --Mark Russinovich

  8. Re: need software firewall for windows 98se

    Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers wrote:
    >Casey wrote:
    >> I have been running Sygate on my Win98 for years with excellent
    >> results.

    >An outdated personal firewall running on an outdated operating system,
    >both of which will not receive any kind of support or updates anymore.
    >Not a reasonable thing to do when it comes to computer security.
    >
    >cu
    >59cobalt

    If it works for what you want it to, it's not outdated.
    Who needs 'support' for a system that's working?

  9. Re: need software firewall for windows 98se

    On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 12:17:45 -0700, ASCII wrote:

    > If it works for what you want it to, it's not outdated.
    > Who needs 'support' for a system that's working?

    Hey, what could go wrong.
    Malware not man blamed in child abuse download case
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06...abuse_suspect/

  10. Re: need software firewall for windows 98se

    Bit Twister wrote:
    >On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 12:17:45 -0700, ASCII wrote:
    >
    >> If it works for what you want it to, it's not outdated.
    >> Who needs 'support' for a system that's working?

    >Hey, what could go wrong.
    >Malware not man blamed in child abuse download case
    >http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06...abuse_suspect/

    That referenced case has nothing to do with continuing company support
    for their software products, nor the abilities of any firewall.

    Allowing malware residence and subsequent installation
    on any machine is all within the domain of the operator.
    IOW: Don't download dodgy files and even if you do
    don't install (click on) them.

  11. Re: need software firewall for windows 98se

    On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 12:46:34 -0700, ASCII wrote:
    > Bit Twister wrote:
    >>On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 12:17:45 -0700, ASCII wrote:
    >>
    >>> If it works for what you want it to, it's not outdated.
    >>> Who needs 'support' for a system that's working?

    >>Hey, what could go wrong.
    >>Malware not man blamed in child abuse download case
    >>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06...abuse_suspect/

    > That referenced case has nothing to do with continuing company support
    > for their software products, nor the abilities of any firewall.

    Nobody said it did. You said "Who needs 'support' for a system that's working?"
    Article shows what could happen. Running an obsolete OS and/or
    security software is an accident just waiting to happen.

    > Allowing malware residence and subsequent installation
    > on any machine is all within the domain of the operator.

    That is a crap statement. IIRC Outlook Express would install malware
    when you opened it to see if you had mail. You did not have to open
    the email.

    > IOW: Don't download dodgy files

    No effort required on the user's part when ad servers get cracked and provide
    malware automagically.
    http://www.networkworld.com/news/200...ed-247-ad.html

    > and even if you do
    > don't install (click on) them.

    No clicking necessary when cracked webpage
    http://finjan.com/Pressrelease.aspx?...Lan=1819&lan=3
    uses onmouseover instead of onclick commands in the webpage.

    Micro$not has had to issue several patches to turn off automagically
    running code based on extension instead of forcing user interaction.

    Hell, antivirus software is becoming obsolete.
    http://itnews.com.au/News/76128,shap...s-the-web.aspx

  12. Re: need software firewall for windows 98se

    On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 19:31:36 +0000 (UTC), Bit Twister
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 12:17:45 -0700, ASCII wrote:
    >
    >> If it works for what you want it to, it's not outdated.
    >> Who needs 'support' for a system that's working?

    >Hey, what could go wrong.
    >Malware not man blamed in child abuse download case
    >http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06...abuse_suspect/

    Thank goodness the UK has sense about them. In the US, you would be
    convicted, malware or NOT.

  13. Re: need software firewall for windows 98se

    Bit Twister wrote:
    >On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 12:46:34 -0700, ASCII wrote:
    >> Bit Twister wrote:

    >>>Hey, what could go wrong.
    >>>Malware not man blamed in child abuse download case
    >>>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06...abuse_suspect/

    >> That referenced case has nothing to do with continuing company support
    >> for their software products, nor the abilities of any firewall.

    >Nobody said it did. You said "Who needs 'support' for a system that's working?"
    >Article shows what could happen. Running an obsolete OS and/or
    >security software is an accident just waiting to happen.
    >

    >> Allowing malware residence and subsequent installation
    >> on any machine is all within the domain of the operator.

    >That is a crap statement. IIRC Outlook Express would install malware
    >when you opened it to see if you had mail. You did not have to open
    >the email.

    Anyone using OE without closing the gaping holes
    deserves whatever crawls in

    >> IOW: Don't download dodgy files

    >No effort required on the user's part when ad servers get cracked and provide
    >malware automagically.

    Yes it is the user
    that puts a dodgy insecure browser on their system
    and provides a gateway to whatever is out there.
    You need to snap out of it, wake up, and get a clue

    >> and even if you do
    >> don't install (click on) them.

    >No clicking necessary when cracked webpage

    if you setup your system to automatically infect you,
    saving you the trouble of looking at whatever hits your inbox or allow
    your browser to open wide and take whatever a web page offers,
    then you're beyond help

    >uses onmouseover instead of onclick commands in the webpage.

    piss poor configuration allows this

    >Micro$not has had to issue several patches to turn off automagically
    >running code based on extension instead of forcing user interaction.

    Because you couldn't figure out how to disable the vulnerabilities
    yourself? had to get someone up in Redmond to do it for you eh?

    >Hell, antivirus software is becoming obsolete.

    It's been that way since the first 0-day malware was released

    If you think the big bad internet is so dangerous, how about posting a
    link for me to click? I'm not worried because you're probably just
    parroting some paranoid AV sales pitch, and even if you know of a killer
    site, it won't do anything to my system's current config.
    It didn't come that way or get that way by itself, I educated myself to
    hostile situations and set about to protect myself.

  14. Re: need software firewall for windows 98se

    On May 27, 4:24 am, "CdLSRN" wrote:
    > Does anyone know of a free firewall that still works with windows 98?

    If you have a genuine need to run Windows 98, maybe you should
    use another device that separates the 98 box from the rest of the
    network. You could still use the 98 box, but put it behind say an
    OpenBSD box running PF, squid, and spamd perhaps.

    You could also use a hardware firewall device to separate it from
    the rest of the network.

    The likelyhood of you actually finding what you are asking for is
    extremely low so this is probably your best option.

    Absolute OpenBSD: UNIX for the Practical Paranoid by Michael Lucas

    ----
    http://www.1150riverviewdr.com/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2