Hmmmh. The best example of the use of expect in this arena is rancid
(http://www.shrubbery.net/rancid/)

But, I think rancid is more oriented towards the tracking of changes which
have been made
and the backing up of existing configurations.

Now to include the changing of configs into rancid, that's an idea. But it
would take
better skills than mine :-(

bruce