Which port to forward ? - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Which port to forward ? - Firewalls ; I've been trying to download something from RapidShare but the download often fails. A typical download session starts well ... over 50KB / S. Then it precipitates. Going down gradually to 40KB/s, 30KB/s, 20KB/s, 9KB/s, 3KB/s, 1KB/s and then it ...

  1. Which port to forward ?

    I've been trying to download something from RapidShare but the
    download often fails.

    A typical download session starts well ... over 50KB / S.

    Then it precipitates. Going down gradually to 40KB/s, 30KB/s, 20KB/s,
    9KB/s, 3KB/s, 1KB/s and then it either hang, or stops.

    My PC links to the Net via a router, and my thinking is that perhaps,
    just perhaps, if I can forward the correct port to the router,
    downloading from RapidShare would be smoother.

    Now the question is, which port to forward?

    Regular downloading from website and from FTP doesn't seem to be a
    problem. Only when I try downloading via RapidShare or Megaupload that
    the precipitating effects take hold.

    Is there a special port that these file-sharing services use? If so,
    which port?

    Please help !!!

    Thank you very much !!!!

  2. Re: Which port to forward ?

    hsyq8xg@gmail.com wrote:

    > My PC links to the Net via a router, and my thinking is that perhaps,
    > just perhaps, if I can forward the correct port to the router,
    > downloading from RapidShare would be smoother.

    OK, and why do you think that this specific miracle might be any more likely
    than any other pure miracle?

    > Is there a special port that these file-sharing services use?

    Those are no file sharing services, but simple HTTP servers for the WWW.
    They don't use any specific port.

    And due to your obvious lack of networking knowledge, it won't be possible
    to diagnose the real cause of the problem (if it actually is one).

  3. Re: Which port to forward ?

    On May 6, 8:16 pm, "Sebastian G." wrote:
    > hsyq...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > My PC links to the Net via a router, and my thinking is that perhaps,
    > > just perhaps, if I can forward the correct port to the router,
    > > downloading from RapidShare would be smoother.

    > OK, and why do you think that this specific miracle might be any more likely
    > than any other pure miracle?
    >
    > > Is there a special port that these file-sharing services use?

    > Those are no file sharing services, but simple HTTP servers for the WWW.
    > They don't use any specific port.
    >
    > And due to your obvious lack of networking knowledge, it won't be possible
    > to diagnose the real cause of the problem (if it actually is one).

    So now it's the start of "Kill the Messenger" season?

  4. Re: Which port to forward ?

    You ****ing supercilious cunt.

    --
    alt.usenet.kooks
    Hamlet, Act 3, Scene 1 [129]

    Member of:
    Usenet Ruiner List
    Top Assholes on the Net List
    Most hated usenetizens of all time List
    Cog in the AUK Hate Machine List

    Find me on Google Maps: 2439'47.13"S, 1344'20.18"E

  5. Re: Which port to forward ?

    pg wrote:

    > On May 6, 8:16 pm, "Sebastian G." wrote:
    >> hsyq...@gmail.com wrote:
    >>> My PC links to the Net via a router, and my thinking is that perhaps,
    >>> just perhaps, if I can forward the correct port to the router,
    >>> downloading from RapidShare would be smoother.

    >> OK, and why do you think that this specific miracle might be any more likely
    >> than any other pure miracle?
    >>
    >>> Is there a special port that these file-sharing services use?

    >> Those are no file sharing services, but simple HTTP servers for the WWW.
    >> They don't use any specific port.
    >>
    >> And due to your obvious lack of networking knowledge, it won't be possible
    >> to diagnose the real cause of the problem (if it actually is one).

    > So now it's the start of "Kill the Messenger" season?

    No, it's just the return of the "think, think again, google it up, and only
    ask if you didn't find an answer yet" season.

  6. Re: Which port to forward ?

    On May 7, 12:00*am, hsyq...@gmail.com wrote:
    > I've been trying to download something from RapidShare but the
    > download often fails.
    >
    > A typical download session starts well ... over 50KB / S.
    >
    > Then it precipitates. Going down gradually to 40KB/s, 30KB/s, 20KB/s,
    > 9KB/s, 3KB/s, 1KB/s and then it either hang, or stops.
    >
    > My PC links to the Net via a router, and my thinking is that perhaps,
    > just perhaps, if I can forward the correct port to the router,
    > downloading from RapidShare would be smoother.
    >
    > Now the question is, which port to forward?
    >
    > Regular downloading from website and from FTP doesn't seem to be a
    > problem. Only when I try downloading via RapidShare or Megaupload that
    > the precipitating effects take hold.
    >
    > Is there a special port that these file-sharing services use? If so,
    > which port?
    >
    > Please help !!!
    >
    > Thank you very much !!!!

    well, lets give a simple answer to the question

    > Is there a special port that these file-sharing services use? If so,
    > which port?

    no

    Rapidshare limits the speed of free users, just use torrents or be
    happy with the speed cap

  7. Re: Which port to forward ?

    > pg wrote:

    >>> OK, and why do you think that this specific miracle might be any more
    >>> likely
    >>> than any other pure miracle?

    >>> Those are no file sharing services, but simple HTTP servers for the WWW.
    >>> They don't use any specific port.
    >>>
    >>> And due to your obvious lack of networking knowledge, it won't be
    >>> possible
    >>> to diagnose the real cause of the problem (if it actually is one).

    >> So now it's the start of "Kill the Messenger" season?

    > No, it's just the return of the "think, think again, google it up, and
    > only ask if you didn't find an answer yet" season.

    See "newusers" in the newsgroup title? A lot of new users don't know about
    Google and don't really know anything about computers.

    --
    Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
    Do not reply with email

  8. Re: Which port to forward ?

    In comp.security.firewalls Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM wrote:
    > See "newusers" in the newsgroup title? A lot of new users don't know
    > about Google and don't really know anything about computers.

    No, actually I don't see a "newusers" in "comp.security.firewalls".
    Besides, being a new user is no excuse for not doing your homework
    first. Like, understanding that crossposting your question to every
    newsgroup you can think of (and without setting a followup at that) is
    *not* the appropriate thing to do.

    cu
    59cobalt
    --Mark Russinovich

  9. Re: Which port to forward ?

    Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM wrote:

    > See "newusers" in the newsgroup title?

    No. It's comp.security.firewalls.

    > A lot of new users don't know about

    > Google and don't really know anything about computers.

    Well, that's their fault, not mine.

+ Reply to Thread