automatic upgrade_export - Firewalls

This is a discussion on automatic upgrade_export - Firewalls ; I want automatic upgrade_export. [Expert@MNGFW01]# crontab -e: 50 12 * * * cd /opt/CPsuite-R62/fw1/bin/upgrade_tools 51 12 * * * echo | ./upgrade_export appoggio 25 13 * * * oggi=`date` 26 13 * * * mv appoggio.tgz.tar $oggi 27 13 * ...

  1. automatic upgrade_export

    I want automatic upgrade_export.

    [Expert@MNGFW01]# crontab -e:

    50 12 * * * cd /opt/CPsuite-R62/fw1/bin/upgrade_tools
    51 12 * * * echo | ./upgrade_export appoggio
    25 13 * * * oggi=`date`
    26 13 * * * mv appoggio.tgz.tar $oggi
    27 13 * * * scp $oggi root@172.28.121.16:/data/backup_2008

    [Expert@MNGFW01]# less /var/log/cron

    Apr 30 12:50:00 MNGFW01 CROND[22798]: (root) CMD (cd /opt/CPsuite-R62/
    fw1/bin/upgrade_tools)
    Apr 30 12:51:00 MNGFW01 CROND[22806]: (root) CMD (echo | ./
    upgrade_export appoggio)
    Apr 30 12:52:24 MNGFW01 crontab[22820]: (root) LIST (root)
    Apr 30 12:53:19 MNGFW01 crontab[22821]: (root) LIST (root)
    Apr 30 12:54:14 MNGFW01 crontab[22827]: (root) BEGIN EDIT (root)
    Apr 30 12:54:26 MNGFW01 crontab[22827]: (root) END EDIT (root)
    Apr 30 13:25:00 MNGFW01 CROND[22966]: (root) CMD (oggi=`date`)
    Apr 30 13:25:54 MNGFW01 crontab[22972]: (root) LIST (root)
    Apr 30 13:26:00 MNGFW01 CROND[22974]: (root) CMD (mv appoggio.tgz.tar
    $oggi)
    Apr 30 13:27:00 MNGFW01 CROND[22980]: (root) CMD (scp $oggi
    root@172.28.121.16:/data/backup_2008 )
    Apr 30 13:28:30 MNGFW01 crontab[22988]: (root) LIST (root)
    Apr 30 13:29:30 MNGFW01 crontab[22997]: (root) BEGIN EDIT (root)
    Apr 30 13:30:05 MNGFW01 crontab[22997]: (root) END EDIT (root)

    If I run commands without crontab all ok!
    With crontab run upgrade_export but does not create anything!

    What happens?
    Where is the error?

  2. Re: automatic upgrade_export

    On Wed, 30 Apr 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.security.firewalls, in article
    ,
    Pussala@gmail.com wrote:

    >I want automatic upgrade_export.

    And what does this have to do with firewalls?

    >[Expert@MNGFW01]# crontab -e:
    >
    >50 12 * * * cd /opt/CPsuite-R62/fw1/bin/upgrade_tools
    >51 12 * * * echo | ./upgrade_export appoggio
    >25 13 * * * oggi=`date`
    >26 13 * * * mv appoggio.tgz.tar $oggi
    >27 13 * * * scp $oggi root@172.28.121.16:/data/backup_2008

    1. uname -a
    2. which cron
    3. man cron
    4. man crontab

    Then add the following lines to this crontab:

    52 12 * * * * set > /tmp/cron.environment.12.52
    26 13 * * * * set > /tmp/cron.environment.13.26

    and finally, run the command 'set > /tmp/my.environment

    and then compare those three files in /tmp. You'll find that the
    environment is quite different, and commands that you run in a cron
    child process have no effect on _other_ child processes that may be
    spawned by the parent. As you've decided to do this in cron, create
    a single job that runs at a chosen time, such as

    55 12 * * * run.this.silly.script

    where 'run.this.silly.script' contains the actual commands

    #!/bin/sh
    cd /opt/CPsuite-R62/fw1/bin/upgrade_tools
    echo | ./upgrade_export appoggio
    oggi=`date`
    mv appoggio.tgz.tar $oggi
    scp $oggi root@172.28.121.16:/data/backup_2008

    Incidentally, that is a rather interesting extension for a file 'tgz.tar'

    For further help, try an appropriate UNIX newsgroup, or comp.unix.shell.
    Do try to find a real news server first, as many people filter posts
    from groups.google.com.

    Old guy

  3. Re: automatic upgrade_export

    On Apr 30, 2:58*pm, ibupro...@painkiller.example.tld (Moe Trin) wrote:
    > On Wed, 30 Apr 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.security.firewalls, in article
    > ,
    >
    > Puss...@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    > NOTE: Posting from groups.google.com (or some web-forums) dramatically
    > reduces the chance of your post being seen. *Find a real news server.
    >
    > >I want automatic upgrade_export.

    > And what does this have to do with firewalls?

    Because he is discussing an issue with Checkpoint upgrade_export
    maybe.
    I see he did go to www.cpug.org and asked the same question and got an
    answer.

  4. Re: automatic upgrade_export

    On Thu, 1 May 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.security.firewalls, in article
    <9517d840-06b9-4ea9-bc2c-fd819941279b@25g2000hsx.googlegroups.com>,
    rick@bcm.tmc.edu wrote:

    >ibupro...@painkiller.example.tld (Moe Trin) wrote:

    >> Puss...@gmail.com wrote:

    >>> I want automatic upgrade_export.

    >> And what does this have to do with firewalls?

    >Because he is discussing an issue with Checkpoint upgrade_export
    >maybe.

    Barking at the wrong tree - his problem is a fundamental mis-understanding
    of the UNIX 'cron' daemon, and has nothing to do with any firewall. His
    post in this group continued:

    If I run commands without crontab all ok!
    With crontab run upgrade_export but does not create anything!

    So there is nothing wrong with the commands (what ever they may be), but
    they fail to run in his rather bizarre interpretation of what the manual
    page says for 'crontab'. That's also why (after answering his question)
    I suggested he look at an appropriate UNIX newsgroup, or comp.unix.shell.

    >I see he did go to www.cpug.org and asked the same question and got an
    >answer.

    He posted from googlegroups, and (like many) I filter those posts off
    in a number of the other newsgroups I try to scan daily, but I also
    see that he posted to (at least) 'comp.os.linux.misc' and got an answer
    similar to the one I provided - run all of the commands out of a single
    script, rather than running five independent (and unrelated) commands
    out of root's crontab.

    Old guy

  5. Re: automatic upgrade_export

    On 2 Mag, 22:07, ibupro...@painkiller.example.tld (Moe Trin) wrote:
    > On Thu, 1 May 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.security.firewalls, in article
    > <9517d840-06b9-4ea9-bc2c-fd8199412...@25g2000hsx.googlegroups.com>,
    >
    > r...@bcm.tmc.edu wrote:
    >
    > NOTE: Posting from groups.google.com (or some web-forums) dramatically
    > reduces the chance of your post being seen. Find a real news server.
    >
    > >ibupro...@painkiller.example.tld (Moe Trin) wrote:

    > >> And what does this have to do with firewalls?

    > >Because he is discussing an issue with Checkpoint upgrade_export
    > >maybe.

    > Barking at the wrong tree - his problem is a fundamental mis-understanding
    > of the UNIX 'cron' daemon, and has nothing to do with any firewall. His
    > post in this group continued:
    >
    > If I run commands without crontab all ok!
    > With crontab run upgrade_export but does not create anything!
    >
    > So there is nothing wrong with the commands (what ever they may be), but
    > they fail to run in his rather bizarre interpretation of what the manual
    > page says for 'crontab'. That's also why (after answering his question)
    > I suggested he look at an appropriate UNIX newsgroup, or comp.unix.shell.
    >
    > >I see he did go towww.cpug.organd asked the same question and got an
    > >answer.

    > He posted from googlegroups, and (like many) I filter those posts off
    > in a number of the other newsgroups I try to scan daily, but I also
    > see that he posted to (at least) 'comp.os.linux.misc' and got an answer
    > similar to the one I provided - run all of the commands out of a single
    > script, rather than running five independent (and unrelated) commands
    > out of root's crontab.
    >
    > Old guy

    I edit script for backup:

    #!/bin/sh
    .. /etc/profile.d/CP.sh
    cd /var/CPbackup/backups
    echo | backup -d --file /var/CPbackup/backups/
    scp fw_export pluto@172.29.198.23:/data/backup
    exit 0

    Can I exec the backup command without me being asked "Are you sure you
    want to proceed?"
    The command "echo |" not work !!!

    Thanks

  6. Re: automatic upgrade_export

    On Mon, 5 May 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.security.firewalls, in article
    ,
    Pussala@gmail.com wrote:

    >I edit script for backup:
    >
    >#!/bin/sh
    >. /etc/profile.d/CP.sh
    >cd /var/CPbackup/backups
    >echo | backup -d --file /var/CPbackup/backups/
    >scp fw_export pluto@172.29.198.23:/data/backup
    >exit 0
    >
    >Can I exec the backup command without me being asked "Are you sure you
    >want to proceed?"

    You would have to check the manual page for the 'backup' command (which
    is not a Linux or UNIX standard command) to see if it has an appropriate
    option - I can't imagine why it needs to ask you to proceed. Could this
    be a variable that is set in the /etc/profile.d/CP.sh file?

    >The command "echo |" not work !!!

    At least two problems. First, the 'backup' command has to display the
    stupid question, but where does it do this? 'cron' has no standard
    terminal, so it _may_ be trying to send the question via email to the
    person running this crontab. A solution to that is to redirect stdout
    to a file or device, such as /dev/null.

    Second problem - the 'echo |' command is going to echo a carriage
    return

    [compton ~]$ echo | hexdump
    0000000 000a
    0000001
    [compton ~]$

    into the pipe, but is the backup program expecting input when invoked?
    In your original post you indicated that things worked from the command
    line, but not from cron. Does the 'echo |' work at the command line?
    If it does, you might try

    echo | backup -d --file /var/CPbackup/backups/ &>/tmp/somefile

    to see if it's the lack of output device for cron that is causing the
    problem.

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread