From: firewall-wizards-bounces@listserv.icsalabs.com
[mailto:firewall-wizards-bounces@listserv.icsalabs.com]On Behalf Of
Kerry Milestone
Sent: Tuesday, April 29, 2008 4:36 AM
To: Firewall Wizards Security Mailing List
Subject: [fw-wiz] 10Gb Firewalls

Hello kind Wizards,

I am investigating the possibilities of putting a firewall on the end of =

a 10Gb link. I'd like to be able to inspect at 10Gb wirespeed. As this =

is a scoping project (though it _has_ to happen due to the nature of =

projects in the institute), cost is not the main issue. I've come =

across the Nortel Switched Firewall 6000, however this 'only' does 6Gb =

throughput.

Alternatively, we have several firewalls which work at 1Gb and are =

wondering if its a better to chanelize [sic] and put say 10 firewalls =

each dealing with different traffic. In coming years, IP based VPN's to =

other sites will become more used - and more 10Gb links to site perhaps =

building up to a 40Gb WAN backbone. We currently have an IDS which will =

can handle this much volume.

The next question, is extending the SAN. If using iSCSI, is it better =

to leave this traffic off the firewall and just route it through, say a =

GRE tunnel without encryption?

Would be keen to hear any thoughts on the theory of what I want to do. =

Implementation is not so difficult, really after some 'best practices' =

thoughts.

Many thanks,
Kerry.

-- =

The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute is operated by Genome Research =

Limited, a charity registered in England with number 1021457 and a =

company registered in England with number 2742969, whose registered =

office is 215 Euston Road, London, NW1 2BE. =