Hello kind Wizards,

I am investigating the possibilities of putting a firewall on the end of
a 10Gb link. I'd like to be able to inspect at 10Gb wirespeed. As this
is a scoping project (though it _has_ to happen due to the nature of
projects in the institute), cost is not the main issue. I've come
across the Nortel Switched Firewall 6000, however this 'only' does 6Gb
throughput.

Alternatively, we have several firewalls which work at 1Gb and are
wondering if its a better to chanelize [sic] and put say 10 firewalls
each dealing with different traffic. In coming years, IP based VPN's to
other sites will become more used - and more 10Gb links to site perhaps
building up to a 40Gb WAN backbone. We currently have an IDS which will
can handle this much volume.

The next question, is extending the SAN. If using iSCSI, is it better
to leave this traffic off the firewall and just route it through, say a
GRE tunnel without encryption?

Would be keen to hear any thoughts on the theory of what I want to do.
Implementation is not so difficult, really after some 'best practices'
thoughts.

Many thanks,
Kerry.