Care/encryption of firewall rules - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Care/encryption of firewall rules - Firewalls ; Kerio encrypts the firewall rules on-file by default. Instructions on the web for decrypting them contain a step seem to imply that disabling them should be temporary. Considering that many security experts publish good sets of rules, and the fact ...

  1. Care/encryption of firewall rules

    Kerio encrypts the firewall rules on-file by default. Instructions on
    the web for decrypting them contain a step seem to imply that
    disabling them should be temporary. Considering that many security
    experts publish good sets of rules, and the fact that home users
    normally often don't have the same IP address from one DSL session to
    the next, how important is this encryption really? This question is
    motivated by the idea of saving an unencrypted copy of the rules as an
    email on a mail server somewhere (not my own, of course).

  2. Re: Care/encryption of firewall rules

    AndyHan**** wrote:

    > Kerio encrypts the firewall rules on-file by default. Instructions on
    > the web for decrypting them contain a step seem to imply that
    > disabling them should be temporary. Considering that many security
    > experts publish good sets of rules, and the fact that home users
    > normally often don't have the same IP address from one DSL session to
    > the next, how important is this encryption really?

    Considering that Kerio doesn't consider remote DoS as important either, it's
    obviously misguided and misplaced.

+ Reply to Thread