Problem with Zonealarm & DSL - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Problem with Zonealarm & DSL - Firewalls ; I just got DSL a couple of days ago. I have Zonealarm as one of my bootup apps. Checking e-mail or going on the net after initial bootup with Zonealarm running works fine. However, if I turn off the LAN ...

  1. Problem with Zonealarm & DSL

    I just got DSL a couple of days ago. I have Zonealarm as one of my
    bootup apps. Checking e-mail or going on the net after initial bootup
    with Zonealarm running works fine. However, if I turn off the LAN or
    Zonealarm after the initial bootup and turn them back on, Zonealarm
    now prevents me from getting mail or accessing the net. If I turn off
    Zonealarm, everything works.

    Using XP Home SP2, Embarq DSL.

    I might turn them off for example if I'm doing some video capture and
    don't want anything tripping it up, I turn off all unneeded apps.

    However, I also noticed that if the system sits for a long time -
    several hours with no internet activity and I go to access it, I get
    the same thing happening.

    Why would this be happening? The ethernet card is listed as being in
    the internet zone. I've noticed that Zonealarm being on also prevents
    my computers from talking to each other when they're networked. I have
    to turn off Zonealarm on both machines for it to work.

    Thanks for all input

  2. Re: Problem with Zonealarm & DSL

    On Apr 22, 9:07*am, muzicia...@yahoo.com wrote:
    > I just got DSL a couple of days ago. *I have Zonealarm as one of my
    > bootup apps.

    Btw, it's the free version if it makes a difference.

  3. Re: Problem with Zonealarm & DSL

    Zone Alarm is not a Microsoft product nor built into XP

    For Zone Alarm to work correctly when setting up a router / network, you need
    to add you network IP network to the trusted zone with in ZA

    On 22/04/2008 muzician21@yahoo.com wrote:
    >On Apr 22, 9:07 am, muzicia...@yahoo.com wrote:
    >> I just got DSL a couple of days ago. I have Zonealarm as one of my
    >> bootup apps.

    >Btw, it's the free version if it makes a difference.

  4. Re: Problem with Zonealarm & DSL

    muzician21@yahoo.com wrote:
    > I just got DSL a couple of days ago. I have Zonealarm as one of my
    > bootup apps. Checking e-mail or going on the net after initial bootup
    > with Zonealarm running works fine. However, if I turn off the LAN or
    > Zonealarm after the initial bootup and turn them back on, Zonealarm
    > now prevents me from getting mail or accessing the net. If I turn off
    > Zonealarm, everything works.
    >
    > Using XP Home SP2, Embarq DSL.
    >
    > I might turn them off for example if I'm doing some video capture and
    > don't want anything tripping it up, I turn off all unneeded apps.
    >
    > However, I also noticed that if the system sits for a long time -
    > several hours with no internet activity and I go to access it, I get
    > the same thing happening.
    >
    > Why would this be happening? The ethernet card is listed as being in
    > the internet zone. I've noticed that Zonealarm being on also prevents
    > my computers from talking to each other when they're networked. I have
    > to turn off Zonealarm on both machines for it to work.
    >
    > Thanks for all input

    I can switch my verizon dsl modem off and on with no problem. Can't say
    anything about networking, single user system.
    Dave Cohen

+ Reply to Thread