Why all the VITROIL and HATRED towards Internet Explorer - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Why all the VITROIL and HATRED towards Internet Explorer - Firewalls ; X-No-Archive: Yes One reason I changed streaming service providers is becuase Live 365 does not work with Firefox, and I was catching HELL for that. I just cannot UNDERSTAND why so many people HATE Internet Explorer. WHAT is so BAD ...

  1. Why all the VITROIL and HATRED towards Internet Explorer

    One reason I changed streaming service providers is becuase Live 365
    does not work with Firefox, and I was catching HELL for that. I
    just cannot UNDERSTAND why so many people HATE Internet
    Explorer. WHAT is so BAD about Internet Explorer to make Live
    365 broadcasters lose listeners, after Firefox no longer worked with
    the Live 365 player Window?

  2. Re: Why all the VITROIL and HATRED towards Internet Explorer

    Volker Birk wrote:

    > Beside that, Internet Exploder got its nick name because of a very bad
    > track record of security holes.

    Which is quite strange, since cross-site scripting (including injection of
    code into websites that are trusted by default) is even a well documented
    feature. That is, how can someone break security that was never claimed to
    be there? :-)

    BTW, didn't it also get this name because it made designs explode? Heck, it
    even shows HTML comments, this doesn't even get the SGML parsing right.

  3. Re: Why all the VITROIL and HATRED towards Internet Explorer

    In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...

    > One reason I changed streaming service providers is becuase Live 365
    > does not work with Firefox, and I was catching HELL for that. I
    > just cannot UNDERSTAND why so many people HATE Internet
    > Explorer. WHAT is so BAD about Internet Explorer to make Live
    > 365 broadcasters lose listeners, after Firefox no longer worked with
    > the Live 365 player Window?

    IE is bad and disliked because it exposes your OS to more than any other
    accepted browser does. It does not follow the WWW standards and will
    render broken code/pages as it think the coder meant to code them, which
    can be a threat.

    Personally, the only thing I use IE for is bank sites when FireFox
    doesn't work on them, and I use IE for Outlook Web Access to our
    Exchange 2003/2007 servers since non-IE browsers don't play well with MS
    Made Websites.

    When we code we ensure that our sites work with IE6, IE7, FireFox and
    Opera. We start with a reloaded image, so that the test station is
    virgin, then test on each browser on 2000/XP/Vista and then were
    possible on OS/x and Ubuntu and Fedora.

    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

  4. Re: Why all the VITROIL and HATRED towards Internet Explorer

    Chilly8 wrote:
    > WHAT is so BAD about Internet Explorer

    It uses ActiveX as plugin concept, which is a security design flaw,
    because ActiveX de facto just is COM, and that means you have access to
    all installed software components by scripting a web site.

    Beside that, Internet Exploder got its nick name because of a very bad
    track record of security holes.

    Yours,
    VB.
    --
    The file name of an indirect node file is the string "iNode" immediately
    followed by the link reference converted to decimal text, with no leading

  5. Re: Why all the VITROIL and HATRED towards Internet Explorer

    In article ,
    void@nowhere.lan says...
    > IE is bad and disliked because it exposes your OS to more than any other
    > accepted browser does. It does not follow the WWW standards and will
    > render broken code/pages as it think the coder meant to code them, which
    > can be a threat.

    The upcoming IE8 will default to standards mode, meaning some sites may
    not work if they are coded to be IE-specific!!

    law!!
    http://home.att.net/~andyross

  6. Re: Why all the VITROIL and HATRED towards Internet Explorer

    Andrew Rossmann wrote:

    > In article ,
    > void@nowhere.lan says...
    >> IE is bad and disliked because it exposes your OS to more than any other
    >> accepted browser does. It does not follow the WWW standards and will
    >> render broken code/pages as it think the coder meant to code them, which
    >> can be a threat.

    > The upcoming IE8 will default to standards mode, meaning some sites may
    > not work if they are coded to be IE-specific!!

    It still won't be able to display the most simplest standard confirming
    websites either. For example:

  7. Re: Why all the VITROIL and HATRED towards Internet Explorer

    Among the obvious security and rendering problems over the years, IE is
    also a resource hog. q.v. http://preview.tinyurl.com/2b9ude

    -Gary

  8. Re: Why all the VITROIL and HATRED towards Internet Explorer

    Chilly8 wrote:

    > One reason I changed streaming service providers is becuase Live 365
    > does not work with Firefox, and I was catching HELL for that. I
    > just cannot UNDERSTAND why so many people HATE Internet
    > Explorer. WHAT is so BAD about Internet Explorer to make Live
    > 365 broadcasters lose listeners, after Firefox no longer worked with
    > the Live 365 player Window?

    Many in this thread have given you a variety of good reasons; I'll offer
    one more.

    One of the reasons IE, and even Office, is disliked is because Microsoft
    refuses to accept standards that just about everyone else has agreed upon.

    This means anyone involved with webpage/webapp design is basically
    forced to program things twice: once to work in IE and once for just
    about everything else.

    Anywho. Cheers.

  9. Re: Why all the VITROIL and HATRED towards Internet Explorer

    On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 22:16:29 -0000, Gary
    wrote:

    >Among the obvious security and rendering problems over the years, IE is
    >also a resource hog. q.v. http://preview.tinyurl.com/2b9ude

    That's nice to know. For a while there Firefox was actually harder on
    system resources in comparison with IE.

  10. Re: Why all the VITROIL and HATRED towards Internet Explorer

    blessed style wrote:

    > On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 22:16:29 -0000, Gary
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Among the obvious security and rendering problems over the years, IE is
    >> also a resource hog. q.v. http://preview.tinyurl.com/2b9ude

    > That's nice to know. For a while there Firefox was actually harder on
    > system resources in comparison with IE.

    If you leave away 50% of the site because you can't render it, this is easy.
    If you don't trade CPU time for doing extensive incremental rendering for a
    better user experience, it's even easier.
    If you don't need to decompress the data because you don't support it when
    combined with E-Tags, it buys you a bit.

+ Reply to Thread