Comments on Untangle? - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Comments on Untangle? - Firewalls ; Anybody have experience with Untangle software? (free open source self contained OS with firewall, router, antispam, av, webfilter and a bunch of more functions. I am thinking of using it in bridge mode with an existing firewall. What kind of ...

  1. Comments on Untangle?

    Anybody have experience with Untangle software? (free open source self
    contained OS with firewall, router, antispam, av, webfilter and a bunch
    of more functions. I am thinking of using it in bridge mode with an
    existing firewall. What kind of throughput would I expect (Mb/sec) with
    a 1ghz/512mb min setup?
    http://www.untangle.com/

  2. Re: Comments on Untangle?

    gr wrote:

    > Anybody have experience with Untangle software? (free open source self
    > contained OS with firewall, router, antispam, av, webfilter and a bunch
    > of more functions.

    From the technical description I conclude it uses Kaspersky AV, thus a nice
    guarantee of remote compromise.

  3. Re: Comments on Untangle?

    On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 23:26:50 -0400, gr
    wrote:

    >Anybody have experience with Untangle software? (free open source self
    >contained OS with firewall, router, antispam, av, webfilter and a bunch
    >of more functions. I am thinking of using it in bridge mode with an
    >existing firewall. What kind of throughput would I expect (Mb/sec) with
    >a 1ghz/512mb min setup?
    >http://www.untangle.com/

    Overkill for the excessively paranoid?

  4. Re: Comments on Untangle?

    blessed style wrote:
    > On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 23:26:50 -0400, gr
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Anybody have experience with Untangle software? (free open source self
    >> contained OS with firewall, router, antispam, av, webfilter and a bunch
    >> of more functions. I am thinking of using it in bridge mode with an
    >> existing firewall. What kind of throughput would I expect (Mb/sec) with
    >> a 1ghz/512mb min setup?
    >> http://www.untangle.com/

    > Overkill for the excessively paranoid?

    Not really, just to use some of the tools such as webfilter, instead of
    paying an annual sub fee to Juniper for their web filter. If it doesn't
    affect throughput a little extra protection is nice also.
    gr

+ Reply to Thread