We definitely still need firewalls.

Yes, web services (J2EE) tunnel through HTTP, but I may have 30,000
hosts on my network. Without a firewall, how do I prevent them from
advertising services to the world, then poorly configuring those services?

And how does J2EE tunneling across HTTP have anything to do with the
above risk and the use of a firewall to mitigate it?