Getting HTTP Service Through Firewalled DSL Modem and Router - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Getting HTTP Service Through Firewalled DSL Modem and Router - Firewalls ; I had posted this problem earlier but now have more information. Responder D. Stussy in message ID hit the nail on the head. One of my problems was a DSL modem that runs a firewall and filters ports. Here's what ...

  1. Getting HTTP Service Through Firewalled DSL Modem and Router

    I had posted this problem earlier but now have more information.

    Responder D. Stussy in message ID hit the
    nail on the head.

    One of my problems was a DSL modem that runs a firewall and filters ports.

    Here's what I want to do or here are the facts:

    1. I have host on a LAN with IP 192.168.1.2 (for example) running an http
    server looking for the usual port 80 packets. I see the
    intro/welcome/index page with http://127.0.0.1/ or http://192.168.1.2, no
    question about it.

    2. There is a DSL modem (a Comtrend CT-5071S ADSL2+ router) that is
    provided by the ISP (SureWest) that is between the Internet and the device
    described in #3. It reports a A.B.C.Z address (you probably might see this
    in the NNTP-Posting-Host header) for the WAN, and this modem has setup a
    network with a 10.202, assigning itself 10.202.y.1 address. It has one
    other node with a 10.202.y.2 address, the device described in #3. Its
    default gateway is A.B.C.Y and DNS server is A.B.C.W.

    3. There is a Linksys WRT54GS wireless router. Its WAN IP is 10.202.y.2
    with the default gateway being 10.202.y.1. Its own LAN IP is 192.168.1.1
    and will have as many as 16 hosts assigned to it. I have set "Applications
    and Gaming" tab to forward port 80 packets in the router to the designated
    IP within the LAN to the host (192.168.1.2) running the web server (for now
    IIS7).

    4. I am able to interface to the web administration pages of the router
    (http://192.168.1.1 with username/password) and also to the DSL modem
    (http://10.202.y.1 with username/password). I don't have to directly
    connect to the DSL modem...I can do it through the router. I have changed
    all the default passwords.

    5. I have attempted to change the firewall to get port 80 packets through
    the DSL modem and the router to the host described in #1. When I enter
    "http://A.B.C.Z" (described in #2 above), I actually see the web
    administration interface---already logged in and not asking for login
    info---to the DSL modem. Of course, I am asking for port 80 service from
    behind the modem and router. If I could an outside entity to ask for
    service so that I could see response from outside that would be better.

    Manuals for the Comtrend 5071S are not found at Comtrend's website,
    although they have for the 5071T whose wed admin interface is similar in
    some respects. The manual does not really describe more than what is
    evident from just looking at the few words of the interface and trying to
    figure it out.

    The Linksys interface has an interactive help which also gives bare
    descriptions.

    My question is how I set up the DSL modem and router to make sure they
    forward the port 80 service packets to a web host.

    ===
    As to the dynamically assigned IP addresses involved in all this, I will
    worry about this later. Right now, I just want to get port 80 packets
    coming from the wide net (WAN) to find their way to the host apparently
    behind two firewalls

  2. Re: Getting HTTP Service Through Firewalled DSL Modem and Router

    On Mar 24, 4:05*pm, Patient Guy wrote:
> [...]
    >
    > Manuals for the Comtrend 5071S are not found at Comtrend's website,
    > although they have for the 5071T whose wed admin interface is similar in
    > some respects. *The manual does not really describe more than what is
    > evident from just looking at the few words of the interface and trying to
    > figure it out.
    >
    > The Linksys interface has an interactive help which also gives bare
    > descriptions.
    >
    > My question is how I set up the DSL modem androuterto make sure they
    > forward the port 80 service packets to a web host.
    >
    > ===
    > As to the dynamically assigned IP addresses involved in all this, I will
    > worry about this later. *Right now, I just want to get port 80 packets
    > coming from the wide net (WAN) to find their way to the host apparentlybehindtwo firewalls

    Were you able to coonect it? I'm having the same problems. I will try
    to run webserver on port 8080 and see if works then, Seems like
    surewest is running webserver on port 80 on their webserver.

+ Reply to Thread