LINKSYS Router Mac Filter - Firewalls

This is a discussion on LINKSYS Router Mac Filter - Firewalls ; Currently I have a system that cannot handle wireless encryption. I'm running it now without any security except I do not broadcast the SSID. Will MAC filtering buy me any additional security or is it just a waste of time? ...

  1. LINKSYS Router Mac Filter

    Currently I have a system that cannot handle wireless encryption. I'm
    running it now without any security except I do not broadcast the
    SSID. Will MAC filtering buy me any additional security or is it just
    a waste of time?

    John Q Public

  2. Re: LINKSYS Router Mac Filter

    publicjq.8230.cst@live.ca wrote:

    > Currently I have a system that cannot handle wireless encryption. I'm
    > running it now without any security except I do not broadcast the
    > SSID.

    Not broadcasting the SSID is no sceurity feature.

    > Will MAC filtering buy me any additional security

    No, unless you never use the wireless connection.

    > or is it just a waste of time?

    Considering that you're abusing a .NET infected MSIE 7.0 as a webbrowser,
    any security is certainly wasteful.

  3. Re: LINKSYS Router Mac Filter

    publicjq.8230.cst@live.ca writes:

    > Currently I have a system that cannot handle wireless encryption.

    ???? Please name the system. I challenge the assertion.

    > I'm running it now without any security except I do not broadcast
    > the SSID. Will MAC filtering buy me any additional security or is it
    > just a waste of time?

    It raises the bar for the amount of work someone interest in your
    network will have to do, but for someone at all determined it is a
    waste of time. Valid mac addresses can be seen over teh air along
    with the SSID, so all the attacker needs to do is spoof a valid mac
    and set the bssid and off they go. Freely available tools allow
    it.

    It's just a smidge more work than seeing the bssid in a list and
    setting your card to it but maybe one more command and that's all.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  4. Re: LINKSYS Router Mac Filter

    Todd H. wrote:

    > publicjq.8230.cst@live.ca writes:
    >
    >> Currently I have a system that cannot handle wireless encryption.

    > ???? Please name the system. I challenge the assertion.

    I give you an immediate counter example: AMD PCNet 3127 PCMCIA card, based
    on Aetheros 1 chipset. The official driver only supports WEP, third party
    drivers don't work, and neither does WPA Supplicant.

    > It raises the bar for the amount of work someone interest in your
    > network will have to do, but for someone at all determined it is a
    > waste of time. Valid mac addresses can be seen over teh air along
    > with the SSID, so all the attacker needs to do is spoof a valid mac
    > and set the bssid and off they go.

    Nitpick: With proper encryption, the SSID is encrypted along with the
    payload. However, it doesn't matter, since you have to break the encryption
    anyway.

  5. Re: LINKSYS Router Mac Filter

    > Currently I have a system that cannot handle wireless encryption. I'm
    > running it now without any security except I do not broadcast the
    > SSID. Will MAC filtering buy me any additional security or is it just
    > a waste of time?
    >
    > John Q Public

    Yes, it will discourage casual users who might otherwise piggy-back on your
    connection, but why can't you enable encryption?

+ Reply to Thread