Zonealarm n Flickr - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Zonealarm n Flickr - Firewalls ; I have the zonealarm firewall antivirus package installed. Having problems seeing my foties in flickr. If I switch off the firewall all is fine. But with it on, the pictures are just a blue box which appear eventually. Have tried ...

  1. Zonealarm n Flickr

    I have the zonealarm firewall antivirus package installed. Having problems
    seeing my foties in flickr. If I switch off the firewall all is fine. But
    with it on, the pictures are just a blue box which appear eventually. Have
    tried playing about the settings but no joy. Anyone else had the same
    problems.

    All was fine untill I reinstalled the OS so i dont know what went wrong.

    Ta all..

    Jim

  2. Re: Zonealarm n Flickr

    On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 17:25:21 GMT, BigYin wrote:

    > I have the zonealarm firewall antivirus package installed.

    My commiseration

    > Having problems seeing my foties in flickr.

    No surprise here.

    > If I switch off the firewall all is fine.

    Keep it switched off...

    > But with it on, the pictures are just a blue box which appear eventually.
    > Have tried playing about the settings but no joy. Anyone else had the same
    > problems.

    ....or even better is to uninstall this useless application:
    http://zonealarm.donhoover.net/uninstall.html

    > All was fine untill I reinstalled the OS so i dont know what went wrong.

    You'll be fine after ZA is removed from your OS.

  3. Re: Zonealarm n Flickr

    Ok then, if Zonealarm is so mince, what recomendations do u have. To be
    honest it just went a bit mental lately and have had no problems from the
    thing in years.

    "BigYin" wrote in message
    >I have the zonealarm firewall antivirus package installed. Having problems
    >seeing my foties in flickr. If I switch off the firewall all is fine. But
    >with it on, the pictures are just a blue box which appear eventually. Have
    >tried playing about the settings but no joy. Anyone else had the same
    >problems.
    >
    > All was fine untill I reinstalled the OS so i dont know what went wrong.
    >
    > Ta all..
    >

    > Jim

  4. Re: Zonealarm n Flickr

    On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 21:28:50 GMT, BigYin wrote:

    > Ok then, if Zonealarm is so mince, what recomendations do u have. To be
    > honest it just went a bit mental lately and have had no problems from the
    > thing in years.

    Win XP Pro SP2
    The most dependable defenses are:

    1. Do not work as 'Administrator'; For day-to-day work routinely use a
    Limited User Account (LUA).
    2. Secure (Harden) your operating system.
    3. Keep your operating (OS) system (and all software on it)
    updated/patched.
    4. Reconsider the usage of IE and OE.
    5. Review your installed 3rd party software applications/utilities;
    Remove clutter.
    6. Don't expose services to public networks.
    7. Activate the build-in firewall and configure Windows not to use
    TCP/IP as transport protocol for NetBIOS, SMB and RPC, thus leaving
    TCP/UDP ports 135,137-139 and 445 (the most exploited Windows
    networking weak point) closed.
    7a.If on high-speed internet use a router as well.
    8. Routinely practice safe-hex.
    9. Regularly back-up data/files.
    10.Familiarize yourself with crash recovery tools and re-installing your
    operating system (OS).
    11.Utilize a real-time anti-virus application and vital system
    monitoring utilities/applications.
    12.Keep abreast of the latest developments - Sh!t happens...you know.

    The least preferred defenses are:
    Myriads of popular anti-whatever applications and staying ignorant.

  5. Re: Zonealarm n Flickr

    Cool, ta for the advice.

    "Kayman" wrote in message
    > On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 21:28:50 GMT, BigYin wrote:
    >
    >> Ok then, if Zonealarm is so mince, what recomendations do u have. To be
    >> honest it just went a bit mental lately and have had no problems from the
    >> thing in years.
    >>

    > Win XP Pro SP2
    > The most dependable defenses are:
    >
    > 1. Do not work as 'Administrator'; For day-to-day work routinely use a
    > Limited User Account (LUA).
    > 2. Secure (Harden) your operating system.
    > 3. Keep your operating (OS) system (and all software on it)
    > updated/patched.
    > 4. Reconsider the usage of IE and OE.
    > 5. Review your installed 3rd party software applications/utilities;
    > Remove clutter.
    > 6. Don't expose services to public networks.
    > 7. Activate the build-in firewall and configure Windows not to use
    > TCP/IP as transport protocol for NetBIOS, SMB and RPC, thus leaving
    > TCP/UDP ports 135,137-139 and 445 (the most exploited Windows
    > networking weak point) closed.
    > 7a.If on high-speed internet use a router as well.
    > 8. Routinely practice safe-hex.
    > 9. Regularly back-up data/files.
    > 10.Familiarize yourself with crash recovery tools and re-installing your
    > operating system (OS).
    > 11.Utilize a real-time anti-virus application and vital system
    > monitoring utilities/applications.
    > 12.Keep abreast of the latest developments - Sh!t happens...you know.
    >
    > The least preferred defenses are:
    > Myriads of popular anti-whatever applications and staying ignorant.

  6. Re: Zonealarm n Flickr

    In other words unplug your PC and never turn it on.

    "BigYin" wrote in message
    > Cool, ta for the advice.
    >

    > "Kayman" wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 21:28:50 GMT, BigYin wrote:
    >>
    >>> Ok then, if Zonealarm is so mince, what recomendations do u have. To be
    >>> honest it just went a bit mental lately and have had no problems from
    >>> the
    >>> thing in years.
    >>>

    >> Win XP Pro SP2
    >> The most dependable defenses are:
    >>
    >> 1. Do not work as 'Administrator'; For day-to-day work routinely use a
    >> Limited User Account (LUA).
    >> 2. Secure (Harden) your operating system.
    >> 3. Keep your operating (OS) system (and all software on it)
    >> updated/patched.
    >> 4. Reconsider the usage of IE and OE.
    >> 5. Review your installed 3rd party software applications/utilities;
    >> Remove clutter.
    >> 6. Don't expose services to public networks.
    >> 7. Activate the build-in firewall and configure Windows not to use
    >> TCP/IP as transport protocol for NetBIOS, SMB and RPC, thus leaving
    >> TCP/UDP ports 135,137-139 and 445 (the most exploited Windows
    >> networking weak point) closed.
    >> 7a.If on high-speed internet use a router as well.
    >> 8. Routinely practice safe-hex.
    >> 9. Regularly back-up data/files.
    >> 10.Familiarize yourself with crash recovery tools and re-installing your
    >> operating system (OS).
    >> 11.Utilize a real-time anti-virus application and vital system
    >> monitoring utilities/applications.
    >> 12.Keep abreast of the latest developments - Sh!t happens...you know.
    >>
    >> The least preferred defenses are:
    >> Myriads of popular anti-whatever applications and staying ignorant.

  7. Re: Zonealarm n Flickr

    Woody wrote:
    > In other words unplug your PC and never turn it on.

    You fail at reading comprehension.

    cu
    59cobalt
    --Mark Russinovich