On Mar 13, 2008, at 10:33 AM, Roel Jonkman wrote:
> UDP checksum is optional, if the checksum field is 0, there is no
> checksum.

Agreed-- from RFC 768 page 2:

"Checksum is the 16-bit one's complement of the one's complement sum
of a pseudo header of information from the IP header, the UDP header,
and the data, padded with zero octets at the end (if necessary) to
make a multiple of two octets.
[ ... ]
If the computed checksum is zero, it is transmitted as all ones (the
equivalent in one's complement arithmetic). An all zero transmitted
checksum value means that the transmitter generated no checksum (for
debugging or for higher level protocols that don't care)."

I have a stratum-2 NTP server (well, I run several, actually, but lets
pick one which gets lots of UDP traffic [1] from a wide variety of
different platforms. The "netstat -s" data looks like:

udp:
60392051 datagrams received
0 with incomplete header
0 with bad data length field
1071 with bad checksum
25653 with no checksum

....which seems to be about 0.04% frequency of no checksum being set
for UDP traffic.

--
-Chuck

[1]: ~5 GB/month or about 5 requests per second.