Sonicwall 2040 series gateway for AV protection thoughts? Opinions? - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Sonicwall 2040 series gateway for AV protection thoughts? Opinions? - Firewalls ; We currently use TrendMicro AV protection on all the workstations, which works rather well.. Exchange 2007.. we are testing out GFI mail security.. as there doesnt seem to be alot of options out there for Exchange 2007.. (thoughts here?)... We ...

  1. Sonicwall 2040 series gateway for AV protection thoughts? Opinions?

    We currently use TrendMicro AV protection on all the workstations,
    which works rather well..

    Exchange 2007.. we are testing out GFI mail security.. as there doesnt
    seem to be alot of options out there for Exchange 2007.. (thoughts
    here?)...

    We have the 2040 series gateway, i noticed it had AV abilities for an
    extra fee.. Anyone know anything about them or how good they are
    compared to others? I'm guessing there is still a workstation or
    server client to be installed?

    Thanks in advance...

  2. Re: Sonicwall 2040 series gateway for AV protection thoughts?Opinions?

    Am Fri, 07 Mar 2008 09:17:31 -0800 schrieb markm75:

    > We have the 2040 series gateway, i noticed it had AV abilities for an
    > extra fee.. Anyone know anything about them or how good they are
    > compared to others? I'm guessing there is still a workstation or
    > server client to be installed?

    Bad idea, it will slow down your connection.
    You do better with a avclient on every workstation and control the clients
    via a server.

    cya

  3. Re: Sonicwall 2040 series gateway for AV protection thoughts? Opinions?

    In article , b.ott@derith.de says...
    > Am Fri, 07 Mar 2008 09:17:31 -0800 schrieb markm75:
    >
    > > We have the 2040 series gateway, i noticed it had AV abilities for an
    > > extra fee.. Anyone know anything about them or how good they are
    > > compared to others? I'm guessing there is still a workstation or
    > > server client to be installed?

    > Bad idea, it will slow down your connection.
    > You do better with a avclient on every workstation and control the clients
    > via a server.

    No, you're better off with both for protecting your network, email, and
    workstations.

    You want your email scanned before it reaches your exchange server, the
    firewall or a third party tool can do this very well, and considering
    the speed at which email operates, it's not even something you will
    notice.

    You MUST KEEP AV ON WORKSTATIONS AND SERVERS, the gateway AV protection
    is not good enough to do it all, and you don't want to take it off your
    systems because there are more injection points than the Gateway can
    protect you from.

    --

    Leythos
    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"