Free MySpace, Facebook, YouTube Proxies! - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Free MySpace, Facebook, YouTube Proxies! - Firewalls ; Chilly8 wrote: > Actually, there is one option where WMP does not even have to be > opened. It still invokes the Windows Media components, and the plugin does support scripting. > The web browser itself acts as a player, ...

  1. Re: Free MySpace, Facebook, YouTube Proxies!

    Chilly8 wrote:

    > Actually, there is one option where WMP does not even have to be
    > opened.

    It still invokes the Windows Media components, and the plugin does support
    scripting.

    > The web browser itself acts as a player, using
    > certain resources from WMP, without actually executing WMP, so
    > disabling WMP is one the silver bullet you think it is, so stop streaming
    > of radio stations.

    Nonsense. There are a lot of serious multimedia players out there, and some
    also ship with plugins. In fact, Seamonkey and VLC work pretty well here.

  2. Re: Free MySpace, Facebook, YouTube Proxies!

    "Sebastian G." wrote in message
    > Chilly8 wrote:
    >

    >> Actually, there is one option where WMP does not even have to be
    >> opened.

    > It still invokes the Windows Media components, and the plugin does support
    > scripting.

    Nevertheless, the new service I use is more friendly towards
    office-listening,
    and, frankly, a lot of listeners of the music programming I air are at-work
    listeners who do use phpProxy sites. Before Live 365 upgraded their
    software, the listener stats were showing an excessive amount of listening
    coming from Chicago and New York. I found out that a lot of that are coming
    from phpProxy sites, and the the site owners are using a business-oriented
    server colocation service known as FDC Servers, with colocation facilities
    in
    Chicago and New York. A lot of the operators of proxies specifically meant
    for public use house their servers there, because they can get ummetered 100
    megabit service for about 619 USD per month. T1, T3, etc, etc, do not
    have unmetered service.

    Prior to the Live 365 software change, last August, the stats were showing
    INCREDIBLE amounts of traffic coming from Chicago and New York, and
    it was people listening through php and CGI based web proxies, hosted on
    servers in that colocation facility. And I could tell by when the traffic
    was the
    heaviest, that there was a LOT of people listening to me in workplaces.
    I basically had listeners from all over the world tuning in without the boss
    knowing about it. They would see the connection going to some machine in FDC
    colocation centers in either New York or Chicago, but wold not know
    anything beyond that.

    I just hope to get back the at-work listeners I lost when Live 365 mucked
    with their software configuration last August. While I still get VERY good
    listener numbers, they are not what they were before the software changes.
    While it is still possible to listen to Live 365, you REALLY have to be a
    techo-wizard to get it to work. Using the new service, people will not have
    to be techo-geeks to listen to the station. So once listeners discover my
    new feed, I should start seeing an increase in at-work listening.

  3. Re: Free MySpace, Facebook, YouTube Proxies!

    > T1, T3, etc, etc, do not
    > have unmetered service.

    Wrong. Of course you can buy unmetered service for almost any accesss line
    imaginable.

  4. Re: Free MySpace, Facebook, YouTube Proxies!

    Chilly8 wrote:

    >> It still invokes the Windows Media components, and the plugin does support
    >> scripting.

    > Nevertheless, the new service I use is more friendly towards
    > office-listening,

    Who the **** cares for this service?

  5. Re: Free MySpace, Facebook, YouTube Proxies!

    > Chilly8 wrote:
    >

    >>> It still invokes the Windows Media components, and the plugin does
    >>> support scripting.

    >> Nevertheless, the new service I use is more friendly towards
    >> office-listening,

    > Who the [BLEEP] cares for this service?

    More people than you think. A few other broadcasters have made the
    jump to this service, and on the comments section of another
    broadcaster, one guy admits to listening all day from the office, using
    a php or CGI proxy server, which is much easier to do, than with
    anything from Live 365, and the streams work on a wider variety
    of proxy and anonymity services.

    This guy tunes into THAT station when he comes in, in the
    morning, and stays connected all day during his 8 hour shift,
    and the boss has no CLUE what he is up to, based on what
    this one bloke said.

  6. Re: Free MySpace, Facebook, YouTube Proxies!

    Chilly8 wrote:

    > "Sebastian G." wrote in message

    >>> Nevertheless, the new service I use is more friendly towards
    >>> office-listening,

    >> Who the [BLEEP] cares for this service?

    > More people than you think.

    But not here, and not on this discussion topic.

  7. Re: Free MySpace, Facebook, YouTube Proxies!

    In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    > Outlook express it the standard for Windows Newsreaders. When I was
    > at university in America, the professors drummed it into us that Bill Gates
    > is God, when it comes to computing.

    OE is not the standard and any prof that tells you that BG is a god is
    an idiot and you need to stop taking classes from that prof.

    Your two statements, about OE and BG, show what we've all know for a
    long time about you Chilly - that you believe BS from people you think
    are an authority because you are a blind follower.

    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

  8. Re: Free MySpace, Facebook, YouTube Proxies!

    The switch just flipped on the Live 365 feed to 96K, and within
    a few minutes, I am picking up listeners, to the new subcription
    feed from office networks throughout the Eastern USA, as
    the workday is begiinnign in America, at this time. From
    today, I run two feeds, over two different services, the
    sunscription 96K feed on Live 365, and a free feed on
    another service, a lot of people on office networks are
    tuning in to the subscription 96K feed, so there will be a
    LOT of network admins who will be wondering why
    people are gobbling down 96K a pop. And with
    Mp3Pro stereo, the sound quality is DAMN GOOD.
    That should give a few admins a bout of indegstion
    today.

  9. Re: Free MySpace, Facebook, YouTube Proxies!

    "Chilly8" wrote in message

    > "Chilly8" wrote in message

    >> "Leythos" wrote in message
    >> news:MPG.224744c591bc834698968e@adfree.usenet.com. ..
    >>> In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...

    >>> You keep saying that it's not illegal, but when she gets fired for
    >>> breaking company policy, because you enabled her, you are liable for her

    >> If the filters FAIL to block it, then she could have been accused
    >> of violating company policy, had anybody known what was going
    >> on.
    >>
    >> That is why my figure skating message boards are picking up a following
    >> among people surfing from work. Becuase my board is NOT in any
    >> filtering lists, it can be accessed from most workplaces, and as long
    >> as the filters do not block them, then said employess CANNOT be
    >> accused of violating company policy. It is the same as with
    >> unauthorised computer access, if t here is nothing coming on the
    >> screen saying they are attempting to access a site that violates
    >> company policy, then it is NOT a violation of company policy.
    >>

    > I know that becuase we now have a Shoutcast feed for talk and sports
    > programming, there is more a lot more workplace listening. There has
    > been someoene, in Leeds, England, listening to our figure skating
    > coverage from work, with connections of 2 hours or more at a time.
    > Becuase my Shoutcast server is not in any filter lists, people have
    > NO trouble tuning in from work.
    >
    > In fact, since implementing a Shoutcast feed, I have been getting a lot
    > more traffic from office networks all over Europe, because my server
    > is not in any filtering lists.

    There is a new kind of public proxy coming out, now that uses VPN.
    A little known Windows feature is now being used more. It turns out
    that Windows XP SP2, 2003, and Vista, in their professional versions,
    have a built-in VPN server. I merely set up a VPN tunnel, where
    someone can log onto my machine, and have all my server handling
    all the traffic. Its encrypted. And best of all, there is no need to install
    extra software, or fiddle with your browser settings. All one has to
    do is to go into Network Connections, and create a VPN connection
    to my site, and then log on to it. The Windows VPN/PPTN server uses
    168-bit encryption, which would cannot be cracked, sniffed, or
    monitored.

    A couple of commercial companies offering for-pay access, via
    the Windows VPN client, are telling people that if they use their
    EXPENSIVE (59 USD/month) service, that ones employer will
    not be able to monitor the connection through packet sniffing,
    becuase of the 168-bit encryption. There are at least several
    commercial public VPN services advocating people use their
    service from work.

    And these servers are actually quite fast. I use one, myself, to listen
    to Pandora, when I am outside the United States, and it seems
    to be able to handle the 150K connection fairly well, unlike a lot
    of the misconfigured proxy servers out there, which are mostly
    on residential cable modems, and don't have a lot of outbound
    bandwidth.

  10. Re: Free MySpace, Facebook, YouTube Proxies!

    Chilly8 wrote:

    > There is a new kind of public proxy coming out, now that uses VPN.
    > A little known Windows feature is now being used more. It turns out
    > that Windows XP SP2, 2003, and Vista, in their professional versions,
    > have a built-in VPN server.

    Windows 2000 as well, and XP Home as well. It's called IPsec and its primary
    use is not just VPN. Or are you referring to PPTP? Or L2TP? Wow, that's
    really news. Wow, they have the same as almost any other modern OS has!

    > The Windows VPN/PPTN server uses

    > 168-bit encryption, which would cannot be cracked, sniffed, or
    > monitored.

    At first, 3DES in EDE-Mode has only 112 bit of effective security even
    though the key has a formal length of 168 bit.

    Second, in most setups it can be attacked due to a simple MITM attack, since
    you don't deploy strong authentication with the necessary PKI.

    Third, it can obviously be sniffed, but that's very useful since it is
    encrypted.

    Forth, PPTP has some known weaknesses which, depending on the setup, might
    be exploitable in your scenario.

    Fifth, in many cases it's not applicable without L2TP tunneling, doesn't
    work so well behind NAT...

    > A couple of commercial companies offering for-pay access, via
    > the Windows VPN client, are telling people that if they use their
    > EXPENSIVE (59 USD/month) service, that ones employer will
    > not be able to monitor the connection through packet sniffing,
    > becuase of the 168-bit encryption.

    But they can detect, block and hold responsible. Even further, proper
    policies won't allow the user to create arbitrary RAS connections.

    But then again, we all know that you're an incompetent fool. Just look at
    your headers, they're telling pretty clearly that you can't even differ an
    Exchange Communication Client from a newsreader.

  11. Re: Free MySpace, Facebook, YouTube Proxies!

    > Chilly8 wrote:
    >

    >> There is a new kind of public proxy coming out, now that uses VPN.
    >> A little known Windows feature is now being used more. It turns out
    >> that Windows XP SP2, 2003, and Vista, in their professional versions,
    >> have a built-in VPN server.

    > Windows 2000 as well, and XP Home as well. It's called IPsec and its
    > primary use is not just VPN. Or are you referring to PPTP? Or L2TP? Wow,
    > that's really news. Wow, they have the same as almost any other modern OS
    > has!
    >
    > > The Windows VPN/PPTN server uses

    >> 168-bit encryption, which would cannot be cracked, sniffed, or
    >> monitored.

    > At first, 3DES in EDE-Mode has only 112 bit of effective security even
    > though the key has a formal length of 168 bit.
    >
    > Second, in most setups it can be attacked due to a simple MITM attack,
    > since you don't deploy strong authentication with the necessary PKI.
    >
    > Third, it can obviously be sniffed, but that's very useful since it is
    > encrypted.
    >
    > Forth, PPTP has some known weaknesses which, depending on the setup, might
    > be exploitable in your scenario.
    >
    > Fifth, in many cases it's not applicable without L2TP tunneling, doesn't
    > work so well behind NAT...
    >
    >> A couple of commercial companies offering for-pay access, via
    >> the Windows VPN client, are telling people that if they use their
    >> EXPENSIVE (59 USD/month) service, that ones employer will
    >> not be able to monitor the connection through packet sniffing,
    >> becuase of the 168-bit encryption.

    > But they can detect, block and hold responsible. Even further, proper

    They can't hold the company providing the proxy service responsible.
    The company is merely providing service, and are effectively an ISP,
    since, when you connect with the VPN connection, you assume an
    IP from that network's pool of IP addresses. It is no different than
    somone connecting a modem and using dial-up ISP. The VPN
    server is handling the all your Internet traffic.

  12. Re: Free MySpace, Facebook, YouTube Proxies!

    In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    > I merely set up a VPN tunnel, where
    > someone can log onto my machine, and have all my server handling
    > all the traffic.

    And it stand out in a firewall like a flare on a dark night - even
    easier to spot than a proxy connection.

    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

  13. Re: Free MySpace, Facebook, YouTube Proxies!

    Chilly8 wrote:

    >> But they can detect, block and hold responsible. Even further, proper

    > They can't hold the company providing the proxy service responsible.

    And I never claimed that. They can hold the employee responsible.

    And it's your moral responsibility if you suggest them to violate their
    company's policies and drive themselves into trouble. But your blatant
    ignorance of this fact makes the defense of your actions just more laughable.

  14. Re: Free MySpace, Facebook, YouTube Proxies!

    "Leythos" wrote in message
    news:MPG.2267c2dc32c964d9896b8@adfree.usenet.com.. .
    > In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    >> I merely set up a VPN tunnel, where
    >> someone can log onto my machine, and have all my server handling
    >> all the traffic.

    > And it stand out in a firewall like a flare on a dark night - even
    > easier to spot than a proxy connection.

    One use for my VPN server is when I go to countries that heavily
    censor the Internet. I can bypass the local censorship by using
    a VPN connection to my server elsewhere. With the strong
    encryption, I cannot be monitored by government censors,
    very handy when I go to China, or Cuba, an average of once
    a year to broadcast figure skating events. I completely bypass
    the local censors, since the connection cannot be analysed,
    cracked, monitored, or sniffed. If, say, Hotmail, is blocked,
    I can VPN to my server,. and log on to Hotmail that way,
    and the local government censors will NEVER know what I
    am up to.

    If I want to read certain blocked Western news sources, while
    in China, such as the BBC, or CNN, or a few Australian
    news outlets, I can do that, and there is no POSSIBLE way
    the censors in China would know what I was up to, becuase
    of the encrypted connection to my server. So I can do pretty
    much what I want, no matter what part of the world I go to,
    and local censors cannot monitor me.

  15. Re: Free MySpace, Facebook, YouTube Proxies!

    Chilly8 wrote:

    > One use for my VPN server is when I go to countries that heavily
    > censor the Internet. I can bypass the local censorship by using
    > a VPN connection to my server elsewhere. With the strong
    > encryption, I cannot be monitored by government censors,

    But it can be simply censored by not allowing any such connection in first
    place. D'oh, that's exactly what China does!

    > since the connection cannot be analysed,

    > cracked, monitored, or sniffed.

    It can be analyzed, trivially. Both by the headers as well as by the
    statistical significant pseudorandomness of the paylod.

  16. Re: Free MySpace, Facebook, YouTube Proxies!

    "Chilly8" wrote in news:ftkvo0$3ev$1@aioe.org:

    > "Leythos" wrote in message
    > news:MPG.2267c2dc32c964d9896b8@adfree.usenet.com.. .
    >> In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    >>> I merely set up a VPN tunnel, where
    >>> someone can log onto my machine, and have all my server handling
    >>> all the traffic.

    >> And it stand out in a firewall like a flare on a dark night - even
    >> easier to spot than a proxy connection.

    > One use for my VPN server is when I go to countries that heavily
    > censor the Internet. I can bypass the local censorship by using
    > a VPN connection to my server elsewhere. With the strong
    > encryption, I cannot be monitored by government censors,
    > very handy when I go to China, or Cuba, an average of once
    > a year to broadcast figure skating events. I completely bypass
    > the local censors, since the connection cannot be analysed,
    > cracked, monitored, or sniffed. If, say, Hotmail, is blocked,
    > I can VPN to my server,. and log on to Hotmail that way,
    > and the local government censors will NEVER know what I
    > am up to.
    >
    > If I want to read certain blocked Western news sources, while
    > in China, such as the BBC, or CNN, or a few Australian
    > news outlets, I can do that, and there is no POSSIBLE way
    > the censors in China would know what I was up to, becuase
    > of the encrypted connection to my server. So I can do pretty
    > much what I want, no matter what part of the world I go to,
    > and local censors cannot monitor me.

    You could get someone jailed or killed.

    Back in the 60's, I had a friend in Cuba that I used to play chess with via
    amateur radio using Morse code.

    American amateurs and Cuban amateur radio operators were allowed to
    communicate but we had to avoid politically hot topics.

    One day, we were in the middle of a chess game when he told me to wait...
    someone was knocking on his door.

    He never came back to finish the game.
    I never heard him on the radio again.

    I suspect that Cuban radio monitors thought that our chess moves were
    encrypted messages.

    I don't know if he just lost his license or his life.

    As I said, you could be in danger yourself and those that use your service
    could be in danger.

    It doesn't matter WHAT the content is, the fact that the authorities can
    not read it could be enough to get someone killed. You need to realize that
    you are 'playing with fire' and think carefully about the possible
    consequences and the fact that you may have to live with never knowing what
    happened to someone.

    --
    bz

    infinite set.

    bz+csm@ch100-5.chem.lsu.edu remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap

  17. Re: Free MySpace, Facebook, YouTube Proxies!

    > Chilly8 wrote:
    >

    >> One use for my VPN server is when I go to countries that heavily
    >> censor the Internet. I can bypass the local censorship by using
    >> a VPN connection to my server elsewhere. With the strong
    >> encryption, I cannot be monitored by government censors,

    > But it can be simply censored by not allowing any such connection in first
    > place. D'oh, that's exactly what China does!

    However, I have my server in a server farm, and not on any of
    the blocking lists, in China or Cuba. I test this, often, by connecting
    to my web site, also running on the same server, through open proxies
    in China and Cuba, and my web site is currently accessible from
    China and Cuba.

    The way China does it, is by fiddling with their DNS services,
    so a particular name, will not resolve. This could by bypassed by
    using the raw IP number for my server.

    > > since the connection cannot be analysed,

    >> cracked, monitored, or sniffed.

    > It can be analyzed, trivially. Both by the headers as well as by the
    > statistical significant pseudorandomness of the paylod.

    But with the connection encrypted, and going through my
    server, they cannot find out that I am accessing banned sites,
    while in the country.

  18. Re: Free MySpace, Facebook, YouTube Proxies!

    "bz" wrote in message
    news:Xns9A7C5418EC349WQAHBGMXSZHVspammote@130.39.1 98.139...
    > "Chilly8" wrote in news:ftkvo0$3ev$1@aioe.org:

    >> "Leythos" wrote in message
    >> news:MPG.2267c2dc32c964d9896b8@adfree.usenet.com.. .
    >>> In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    >>>
    >>> And it stand out in a firewall like a flare on a dark night - even
    >>> easier to spot than a proxy connection.

    >> One use for my VPN server is when I go to countries that heavily
    >> censor the Internet. I can bypass the local censorship by using
    >> a VPN connection to my server elsewhere. With the strong
    >> encryption, I cannot be monitored by government censors,
    >> very handy when I go to China, or Cuba, an average of once
    >> a year to broadcast figure skating events. I completely bypass
    >> the local censors, since the connection cannot be analysed,
    >> cracked, monitored, or sniffed. If, say, Hotmail, is blocked,
    >> I can VPN to my server,. and log on to Hotmail that way,
    >> and the local government censors will NEVER know what I
    >> am up to.
    >>
    >> If I want to read certain blocked Western news sources, while
    >> in China, such as the BBC, or CNN, or a few Australian
    >> news outlets, I can do that, and there is no POSSIBLE way
    >> the censors in China would know what I was up to, becuase
    >> of the encrypted connection to my server. So I can do pretty
    >> much what I want, no matter what part of the world I go to,
    >> and local censors cannot monitor me.

    > You could get someone jailed or killed.

    > As I said, you could be in danger yourself and those that use your service
    > could be in danger.

    Not me, I would not be in danger. A local person, maybe, but not me,
    as a foreigner. With an encrypted connection, whether I am in
    China, Cuba, or censorious Middle Eastern countires, there is
    no POSSIBLE way I can be monitored, becuase of the encryption.

    Since Live 365 is blocked in Iran, I use my VPN, if I go there,
    to log in and check on the Live 365 feed for my station, and
    the Mullahs in Iran have no CLUE as to WHAT I am up to.
    Both Live 365 and LoudCity are blocked, in Iran, but I use
    my VPN connection to bypass the Mullahs, and check on
    my station.

    I also use it in Britan and the U.S., becuase of the warrantless
    monitoring of communications in both countries, that is apparently
    even more than the afforentioned censorious regimes in Cuba,
    China, etc. By using an enrypted connection, Mi-6 in Britain,
    or Homeland Security in America cannot snoop on my
    communications, becusae of the heavy crypto. The government
    spooks in America and Britain cannot monitor me, when I use
    my VPN connection. All Mi-6 and Homeland Security know
    is that I am making an encrypted connection to my server, via
    a VPN link, but that is ALL either DHS or MI-6 would
    know.

  19. Re: Free MySpace, Facebook, YouTube Proxies!

    "Chilly8" wrote in message

    > I also use it in Britan and the U.S., becuase of the warrantless
    > monitoring of communications in both countries, that is apparently
    > even more than the afforentioned censorious regimes in Cuba,
    > China, etc. By using an enrypted connection, Mi-6 in Britain,
    > or Homeland Security in America cannot snoop on my
    > communications, becusae of the heavy crypto. The government
    > spooks in America and Britain cannot monitor me, when I use
    > my VPN connection. All Mi-6 and Homeland Security know
    > is that I am making an encrypted connection to my server, via
    > a VPN link, but that is ALL either DHS or MI-6 would
    > know.

    One other footnote is the being a USA/Australia dual
    national, some DHS folks might consider me subject to the
    travel restrictions on Cuba, even though I do not live in the
    U.S. By encrypting my communications, especially when
    covering sporting events in Cuba. DHS and the Office of
    Foregin Assets Control (OFAC) cannot find out I ever
    was in Cuba. Any CIA/DHS/OFAC monitoring of the outbound
    connection from Cuba, towards my server, is neutralised,
    and there is no POSSIBLE way the government of the United
    States can monitor what I am up to.

    I feel that because I live in Australia, as a USA/Oz dual,
    and travel to Cuba on an Aussie passport, that I should only
    be subject to Australian regulations, which currently permit
    travel to Cuba, and should not be subject to getting an
    OFAC licence, from the U.S., to travel there. So by
    encrypting the outbound connection from Cuba, any
    spooks from DHS, OFAC, or the CIA cannot eavesdrop
    on the connection. All that would the American government
    would know is that someone was making a heavily encrypted
    outbound connection from Cuba, but would not be able to
    decipher what was being sent from Cuba.

    I also scrub the hard disks on any computer equipment that
    has been in Cuba, with Evidence Eliminator, before it is ever
    taken to, or through the U.S., so that Customs cannot recover
    anything to indicate I was in Cuba. Cuban authorites, believe
    it or not, will not stamp your passport, if you ask. You just put
    a slip of paper in your passport, and the Cuban authorities
    will stamp that instead. Betweent that, and scrubbing the disks
    with Evidence Eliminator, I can travel to Cuba, without getting
    an OFAC licence, and the United States government is never
    the wiser. If U.S. Customs decided to examine the hard disks,
    they wold not get anything.

  20. Re: Free MySpace, Facebook, YouTube Proxies!

    In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    > "Leythos" wrote in message
    > news:MPG.2267c2dc32c964d9896b8@adfree.usenet.com.. .
    > > In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    > >> I merely set up a VPN tunnel, where
    > >> someone can log onto my machine, and have all my server handling
    > >> all the traffic.

    > > And it stand out in a firewall like a flare on a dark night - even
    > > easier to spot than a proxy connection.

    > One use for my VPN server is when I go to countries that heavily
    > censor the Internet. I can bypass the local censorship by using
    > a VPN connection to my server elsewhere.

    You are really stupid Chilly.

    First, if they are going to censor the internet they are going to block
    VPN's to the same areas, most filtering does not permit VPN's out of an
    area - it's a real threat to allow outbound VPN connections.

    Second, a IPSec tunnel or any other tunnel sticks out like a red flare
    in a monitored network, so, you can claim you're getting away with xyz,
    but the fact is that you just made your connection easier to spot and to
    eliminate.

    It doesn't matter what you are doing/passing through the VPN, it's that
    a VPN is going to be spotted and then flagged and then terminated if
    it's even permitted to pass - in most secure networks there are NO VPN
    connections permitted to leave the networks except those setup by IT
    Administrators.

    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"