VPN problem or not? - Firewalls

This is a discussion on VPN problem or not? - Firewalls ; Hello All, I got a problem with connection between Outlook and Exchange through VPN. We deployed SonicWALL 2040 PRO, some client-server VPN license available, so we installed the VPN client on several laptops, and tested, the VPN connected successfully and ...

  1. VPN problem or not?

    Hello All,

    I got a problem with connection between Outlook and Exchange through
    VPN. We deployed SonicWALL 2040 PRO, some client-server VPN license
    available, so we installed the VPN client on several laptops, and
    tested, the VPN connected successfully and very solid(They are on Wi-
    FI, signal bar always 4 bars...), but when they opened Outlook on
    their desktop, the status always showing(Trying to connect...), but
    user waited a long time, nothing really happened. One or two users
    sometimes got very lucky it might connect a couple minutes, then not
    responding...

    We tried a couple of things such as change the Outlook Mode, change
    the mail items download method from full to headers only, we tried to
    lower the encryption level on SonicWALL from 3DES to DES in case it
    will degrade the performance. But nothing really changed a lot on
    user's laptops...

    So my question is...I don't think it's a VPN setting problem any more,
    do you think it's something related with Exchange? Such as if there is
    any kind of speed/bandwidth requirement for Outlook connecting to
    Exchange? We actually did a download speed test, before/after the VPN
    connection established, the result is same - Download speed around
    95KB per sec. IS that too slow???

    Thanks for your ideas!
    (I have already posted this to Exchange group, I just want to see if
    any different opinion here)

    Sincerely,
    Ben

  2. Re: VPN problem or not?

    [This followup was posted to comp.security.firewalls and a copy was sent
    to the cited author.]

    In article <1c68c94f-fcb5-4350-b630-
    eab1ad4f7acc@q33g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>, fyf5555841@gmail.com says...
    > I got a problem with connection between Outlook and Exchange through
    > VPN. We deployed SonicWALL 2040 PRO, some client-server VPN license
    > available, so we installed the VPN client on several laptops, and
    > tested, the VPN connected successfully and very solid(They are on Wi-
    > FI, signal bar always 4 bars...), but when they opened Outlook on
    > their desktop, the status always showing(Trying to connect...), but
    > user waited a long time, nothing really happened. One or two users
    > sometimes got very lucky it might connect a couple minutes, then not
    > responding...
    >
    > We tried a couple of things such as change the Outlook Mode, change
    > the mail items download method from full to headers only, we tried to
    > lower the encryption level on SonicWALL from 3DES to DES in case it
    > will degrade the performance. But nothing really changed a lot on
    > user's laptops...
    >
    > So my question is...I don't think it's a VPN setting problem any more,
    > do you think it's something related with Exchange? Such as if there is
    > any kind of speed/bandwidth requirement for Outlook connecting to
    > Exchange? We actually did a download speed test, before/after the VPN
    > connection established, the result is same - Download speed around
    > 95KB per sec. IS that too slow???

    At work, they changed the Sonicwall from a TZ170 to the 2040 Pro.
    Initially, it was fine, but then they rearranged networking so it was a
    backup for an MLPS connection. Ever since, it has been goofy, despite
    being at Level 1 support from Sonicwall. In order to keep my connection
    alive (it doesn't drop, it just goes dead), I have a background
    scheduled task do an 'IPCONFIG /RENEW' once a minute.

    law!!
    http://home.att.net/~andyross

+ Reply to Thread