Ohio Presidential Debate - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Ohio Presidential Debate - Firewalls ; X-No-Archive: Yes We are broadcasting the Ohio presidentuial debate on our online radio station, and the listenership is going through the roof. It is still the latter part of the working hours in Hawaii, and I am seeing connections from ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

  1. Ohio Presidential Debate

    We are broadcasting the Ohio presidentuial debate
    on our online radio station, and the listenership
    is going through the roof. It is still the latter part
    of the working hours in Hawaii, and I am seeing
    connections from office networks in Honolulu
    and Hilo.

    It appears that this last scheduled debate is
    drawing a lot of listeners, especially in
    Hawaii, where its still the working hours.
    There are, as of right now, 99 listners,
    just from Hawaii, alone, among all three
    of my feeds I am offering, and nearly all
    of them coming from office networks in
    Honolulu and Hilo. So there are 99
    people right now, in Hawaii, listening to
    the debate, from office networks there,
    instead of working. Unlike Live 365,
    my Windows Media server is not in
    any filering lists, so people are listening
    on that. That feed is encrypted with DRM,
    so there is no POSSIBLE way the boss
    will know what these workers are up to,
    since the connection is encrypted. And
    because it is not in any filtering lists, the
    debate can be listened to nearly every
    workplace, in Hawaii, or elsewhere.

    And the listenership is going up every
    minute, today's debate may will be the
    WORST NIGHTMARE of office
    network admins in Hawaii.

  2. Re: Ohio Presidential Debate

    "Chilly8" wrote:
    > We are broadcasting the Ohio presidentuial debate
    > on our online radio station, and the listenership
    > is going through the roof. It is still the latter part
    > of the working hours in Hawaii, and I am seeing
    > connections from office networks in Honolulu
    > and Hilo.
    >
    > It appears that this last scheduled debate is
    > drawing a lot of listeners, especially in
    > Hawaii, where its still the working hours.
    > There are, as of right now, 99 listners,
    > just from Hawaii, alone, among all three
    > of my feeds I am offering, and nearly all
    > of them coming from office networks in
    > Honolulu and Hilo. So there are 99
    > people right now, in Hawaii, listening to
    > the debate, from office networks there,
    > instead of working. Unlike Live 365,
    > my Windows Media server is not in
    > any filering lists, so people are listening
    > on that. That feed is encrypted with DRM,

    Sounds cool. How can someone tune in from the office?

  3. Re: Ohio Presidential Debate

    "Chilly8" wrote in message

    What does any of this have to do with Firewalls or Security?

  4. Re: Ohio Presidential Debate

    Mr. Arnold wrote:

    > "Chilly8" wrote in message
    >>

    > What does any of this have to do with Firewalls or Security?

    thank you for pointing this out (will chilly8 *ever* give up drooling about iceskating)

  5. Re: Ohio Presidential Debate

    In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    > That feed is encrypted with DRM,
    > so there is no POSSIBLE way the boss
    > will know what these workers are up to,
    > since the connection is encrypted. And
    > because it is not in any filtering lists, the
    > debate can be listened to nearly every
    > workplace, in Hawaii, or elsewhere.

    It's very easy to spot the connection, every major firewall on the
    market will expose it.

    You are violating the groups charter by posting business ad's here
    Chilly.

    --

    Leythos
    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

  6. Re: Ohio Presidential Debate

    "Leythos" wrote in message
    news:MPG.222fc46dff5823d4989a93@Adfree.usenet.com. ..
    > In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    >> That feed is encrypted with DRM,
    >> so there is no POSSIBLE way the boss
    >> will know what these workers are up to,
    >> since the connection is encrypted. And
    >> because it is not in any filtering lists, the
    >> debate can be listened to nearly every
    >> workplace, in Hawaii, or elsewhere.

    > It's very easy to spot the connection, every major firewall on the
    > market will expose it.

    Well, I am chatting right now, on my chat server, with one
    woman who surfs through my proxy, from her work, and
    her boss has no clue as to what she is up to. She just
    changed the settings in her browser to point to my
    proxy, and all her traffic goes through my either of
    my proxies, and her boss has no clue as to what she
    is up to.

  7. Re: Ohio Presidential Debate

    "Chilly8" wrote in message

    > "Leythos" wrote in message
    > news:MPG.222fc46dff5823d4989a93@Adfree.usenet.com. ..
    >> In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    >>> That feed is encrypted with DRM,
    >>> so there is no POSSIBLE way the boss
    >>> will know what these workers are up to,
    >>> since the connection is encrypted. And
    >>> because it is not in any filtering lists, the
    >>> debate can be listened to nearly every
    >>> workplace, in Hawaii, or elsewhere.

    >> It's very easy to spot the connection, every major firewall on the
    >> market will expose it.

    > Well, I am chatting right now, on my chat server, with one
    > woman who surfs through my proxy, from her work, and
    > her boss has no clue as to what she is up to. She just
    > changed the settings in her browser to point to my
    > proxy, and all her traffic goes through my either of
    > my proxies, and her boss has no clue as to what she
    > is up to.

    Oh no, he is one of those. Any respect that most had for you is now lost,
    count on it.

  8. Re: Ohio Presidential Debate

    "Mr. Arnold" Arnold@Arnold.com> wrote in message

    > "Chilly8" wrote in message

    >> "Leythos" wrote in message
    >> news:MPG.222fc46dff5823d4989a93@Adfree.usenet.com. ..
    >>> In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    >>>
    >>> It's very easy to spot the connection, every major firewall on the
    >>> market will expose it.

    >> Well, I am chatting right now, on my chat server, with one
    >> woman who surfs through my proxy, from her work, and
    >> her boss has no clue as to what she is up to. She just
    >> changed the settings in her browser to point to my
    >> proxy, and all her traffic goes through my either of
    >> my proxies, and her boss has no clue as to what she
    >> is up to.
    >>

    > Oh no, he is one of those. Any respect that most had for you is now lost,
    > count on it.

    Oh, I don't know. This one women seems to see me as a
    potential future husband.

  9. Re: Ohio Presidential Debate

    "Chilly8" wrote in message

    > "Mr. Arnold" Arnold@Arnold.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Chilly8" wrote in message

    >>> "Leythos" wrote in message
    >>> news:MPG.222fc46dff5823d4989a93@Adfree.usenet.com. ..

    >>> Well, I am chatting right now, on my chat server, with one
    >>> woman who surfs through my proxy, from her work, and
    >>> her boss has no clue as to what she is up to. She just
    >>> changed the settings in her browser to point to my
    >>> proxy, and all her traffic goes through my either of
    >>> my proxies, and her boss has no clue as to what she
    >>> is up to.
    >>>

    >> Oh no, he is one of those. Any respect that most had for you is now lost,
    >> count on it.

    > Oh, I don't know. This one women seems to see me as a
    > potential future husband.

    Oh, you're a lady's man too, a lover and a womanizer on the Internet -- LOL.
    I see now that there is something wrong with you. You have got problems, Mr.
    Proxy the Internet lover.

  10. Re: Ohio Presidential Debate

    > "Chilly8" wrote in message

    >> "Mr. Arnold" Arnold@Arnold.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Chilly8" wrote in message

    >>> Oh no, he is one of those. Any respect that most had for you is now
    >>> lost, count on it.

    >> Oh, I don't know. This one women seems to see me as a
    >> potential future husband.
    >>

    > Oh, you're a lady's man too, a lover and a womanizer on the Internet --
    > LOL. I see now that there is something wrong with you. You have got
    > problems, Mr. Proxy the Internet lover.

    There is NOTHING wrong with Internet radio, from work, as
    long as it does not interfere with your work, and this one women
    in South Carolina happens to agree with me.

  11. Re: Ohio Presidential Debate

    On Feb 28, 12:36 pm, "Chilly8" wrote:
    > Well, I am chatting right now, on my chat server, with one
    > woman who surfs through my proxy, from her work, and
    > her boss has no clue as to what she is up to. She just

    Why should he? It's the administrator you may be interested.

    > changed the settings in her browser to point to my
    > proxy, and all her traffic goes through my either of
    > my proxies, and her boss has no clue as to what she
    > is up to.

    He may not have a clue at the moment. Once he or the administrator
    takes a look into the log files he'll know. Maybe they are relaxed
    about this at the moment and don't check the logs thoroughly. But wait
    until they have some network security incident or some virus, trojan
    or similiar, maybe fully unrelated with the streamed media. Then they
    will have a very close look at the logs and find that someone
    frequently circumvented the firewall. Enough to get fired just for
    that...

    And, gee, I can pretty reliably recognize when someone is streaming
    media just by looking at the lights of the network switches and how
    they are blinking and catch them while they are at it...

    Gerald

  12. Re: Ohio Presidential Debate

    "Chilly8" wrote in message

    > There is NOTHING wrong with Internet radio, from work, as
    > long as it does not interfere with your work, and this one women
    > in South Carolina happens to agree with me.

    Yeah, there is nothing wrong with it if the company has sanctioned it. But
    it doesn't seem to be the case according to you. Or is that beyond your
    comprehension? Yeah, and I have contracted in companies that do sanction it
    and allow their employees to listen to Internet radio, but that's based on
    the employee's job responsibilities. And I have been in companies that don't
    sanction it period.

    Why are you sitting up in this NG with the nonsense you are posting in front
    of those who are concerned with security? It's not that employee's right to
    circumvent that company's security.

    You are totally ridiculous with a hypocritical mindset. What you have is an
    ignorant home user state of mind. You remind me of that other lunatic who
    was posting the same thing a couple of years ago.

    That lunatic too was posting that he had some woman that was circumventing
    company security, and they were in heavy correspondence, and a possible love
    connection.

    Did you change your name? Was that you and now you're back with another
    woman or the same woman?

  13. Re: Ohio Presidential Debate

    In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...

    > "Leythos" wrote in message
    > news:MPG.222fc46dff5823d4989a93@Adfree.usenet.com. ..
    > > In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    > >> That feed is encrypted with DRM,
    > >> so there is no POSSIBLE way the boss
    > >> will know what these workers are up to,
    > >> since the connection is encrypted. And
    > >> because it is not in any filtering lists, the
    > >> debate can be listened to nearly every
    > >> workplace, in Hawaii, or elsewhere.

    > > It's very easy to spot the connection, every major firewall on the
    > > market will expose it.

    > Well, I am chatting right now, on my chat server, with one
    > woman who surfs through my proxy, from her work, and
    > her boss has no clue as to what she is up to. She just
    > changed the settings in her browser to point to my
    > proxy, and all her traffic goes through my either of
    > my proxies, and her boss has no clue as to what she
    > is up to.

    Then her Boss has not looked. If she has a connection to anything it can
    been seen in most firewalls. A connection that is maintained for any
    period of time stands out like a bright light in the dark, it's easy to
    see/spot if one just looks.

    So, again, you are not hiding anything, and the people abusing their
    companies resources are not hidden, they are easy to find for anyone
    that looks.

    --

    Leythos
    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

  14. Re: Ohio Presidential Debate

    In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    > There is NOTHING wrong with Internet radio, from work, as
    > long as it does not interfere with your work, and this one women
    > in South Carolina happens to agree with me.

    You don't have a right to determine that for the Business that is being
    abused. If the company has stated no personal use or no-non-business
    use, then the people either abide by that rule or are subject to
    discipline.

    Face it, you're just an unethical Liar.

    --

    Leythos
    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

  15. Re: Ohio Presidential Debate

    "Leythos" wrote in message
    news:MPG.22306e5ac7c29269989a95@Adfree.usenet.com. ..
    > In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    >> There is NOTHING wrong with Internet radio, from work, as
    >> long as it does not interfere with your work, and this one women
    >> in South Carolina happens to agree with me.

    > You don't have a right to determine that for the Business that is being
    > abused. If the company has stated no personal use or no-non-business
    > use, then the people either abide by that rule or are subject to
    > discipline.
    >
    > Face it, you're just an unethical Liar.

    Well, like I said, I did have a lot of people in Hawaii, where it
    was still the workday, tuned into the debate on my station,
    and all the "free" listener slots did fill to capacity. I also had
    quite a few more on my Shoutcast feed. Since my Shoutcast
    server is not in any filtering lists, there was no need to circumvent
    anything to listen on that. Since my Shoutcast server (if you
    type in my addresses, instead of the Shoucast "referrer"
    address) is not filtered, then there is NO violation of
    company rules on programing that is simulcast on our
    Shoutcast server, becuase is is currently NOT in ANY
    filtering lists, which is likely why the majority of listeners
    were listening on the Shoutcast feed. Beucase it is not
    in any filter lists (I do check that often), and the filters fail to
    block it, then the users are NOT BREAKING ANY
    LAWS by listening from work. In short, becuase the
    address for my Shoutcast server is not in any filtering lists,
    a user cannot be prosecuted, criminally, for listening on the
    Shoutcast server, as long as they use the direct address for
    my server in either Windows Media Player, Winamp, or
    whatever player is installed on the machine. I have a select
    amount of programming that is broadcast on Shoutcast,
    though that is mostly talk and sports shows. They can
    simply go to my web site (also NOT in any block lists
    on any of the major filter vendors), click the Shoutcast
    listen live link (when a particular program is being aired on
    Shoutcast) and they are good to go, no circumvention,
    no muss, no fuss.

  16. Re: Ohio Presidential Debate

    This is almost as painful as when my mother got an AOL account and
    starting forwarding every chain letter and urban legend that's ever been
    debunked by Snopes. Please stop feeding the troll, people.

    -Gary

  17. Re: Ohio Presidential Debate

    In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    > I have a select
    > amount of programming that is broadcast on Shoutcast,
    > though that is mostly talk and sports shows. They can
    > simply go to my web site (also NOT in any block lists
    > on any of the major filter vendors), click the Shoutcast
    > listen live link (when a particular program is being aired on
    > Shoutcast) and they are good to go, no circumvention,
    > no muss, no fuss.

    And for a properly secured network it would not work.

    And then you have the violation of company policy, circumventing not
    needed, just connecting is most likely a violation of company policy....

    Oh, and it's still very easy to spot when one looks for it.

    --

    Leythos
    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

  18. Re: Ohio Presidential Debate

    "Leythos" wrote in message
    news:MPG.22313545bd43db57989a99@Adfree.usenet.com. ..
    > In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    >> I have a select
    >> amount of programming that is broadcast on Shoutcast,
    >> though that is mostly talk and sports shows. They can
    >> simply go to my web site (also NOT in any block lists
    >> on any of the major filter vendors), click the Shoutcast
    >> listen live link (when a particular program is being aired on
    >> Shoutcast) and they are good to go, no circumvention,
    >> no muss, no fuss.

    > And for a properly secured network it would not work.
    >
    > And then you have the violation of company policy, circumventing not
    > needed, just connecting is most likely a violation of company policy....
    >
    > Oh, and it's still very easy to spot when one looks for it.

    Well, I am about to switch streaming providers anyway. Due
    to the rising royalty rates, and the rising Euro vs. the dollar,
    Live 365 pricing is going way out of site, for the same number
    of listener slots. Its bad enough their recent upgrades resulted
    in the service no longer being compatable with Tor anonymity
    proxies, and phpProxy installations. I can't blame them though.
    Any IP beginning with 212 through 217 is either in Europe,
    or has a European ISP, and Live's servers are within
    that IP range, and I was actually expecting the rising Euro
    to result in a huge price hike (Skype, which I use for my
    station's phone service has gone WAY up in the past
    18 months, and they use European servers, as well).
    Also, European royalty rates, which they have to pay,
    as well, are much higher than in the U.S. People holler
    about RIAA royalty rates being bad, but the rates in
    many European countries are much higher now. Combine
    that with a rising Euro, and that adds up to pricing, that
    will be going up as much as 4-fold, for the same amount
    of listener slots.

    The service I am looking to switch to, becuase it is in the
    U.S., is not currently affected by the Euro. I will be able
    to get about 5 times the listener slots, for HALF what the
    new Live 365 rates will be, plus, their service is compatable
    with both phpProxy installations, and Tor proxies, so I
    should be able to get back all the at-work listeners I lost
    when Live 365 recently upgraded some of their system
    software. While the increasing royalty rates in America
    will affect it, any price hike will likely not be as bad, becuase
    none of this company's servers are in Europe.

    Unlike Live 365, you don't have to be any technical
    genious to get the address you need to use. Just go
    to any phoProxy site, plug in the address, and you
    are good to go. Given the fact that listener slots were
    often at capacity before Live 365 upgraded their
    software, and that a lot of that was coming from
    workplaces, my station may will become the
    WORST NIGHTMARE of corporate network
    admins after the changeover to the new service,
    as it will be easier for someone to connect through
    either a phpProxy or Tor proxy. My current SL
    capacity is 50 listeners, and in July and August,
    right before the Live 365 system upgrade, I was
    often at or near capacity, during the workday in
    America, and nearly all of that coming from
    phpProxy installations, all based in server farms
    in Chicago, Santa Rosa(California),
    Dnpropretrvosk (Ukraine), Moscow (Russia),
    Provo, Kansas City, and New York.

  19. Re: Ohio Presidential Debate

    "Chilly8" wrote in message

    Will you please stop reporting your little activities. No one cares what
    you're doing, but you.

  20. Re: Ohio Presidential Debate

    "Gerald Vogt" wrote in message
    > On Feb 28, 12:36 pm, "Chilly8" wrote:
    >> Well, I am chatting right now, on my chat server, with one
    >> woman who surfs through my proxy, from her work, and
    >> her boss has no clue as to what she is up to. She just

    > Why should he? It's the administrator you may be interested.
    >
    >> changed the settings in her browser to point to my
    >> proxy, and all her traffic goes through my either of
    >> my proxies, and her boss has no clue as to what she
    >> is up to.

    > He may not have a clue at the moment. Once he or the administrator
    > takes a look into the log files he'll know. Maybe they are relaxed
    > about this at the moment and don't check the logs thoroughly. But wait
    > until they have some network security incident or some virus, trojan
    > or similiar, maybe fully unrelated with the streamed media. Then they
    > will have a very close look at the logs and find that someone
    > frequently circumvented the firewall. Enough to get fired just for
    > that...

    Well, it turns out that is is still possible to listen to Live 365
    through phpProxy sites, but it takes a little more in the way
    of technical knowhow, than it did. You have to know how to
    install a web logging appliction on your PC. Then you set your
    listen settings to "MP3 Player" on Live 365. You then get a
    boomarked URL, which you paste into your favourite web
    proxy site, then you look in the web logs for the jibberish
    URL the web proxy created, copy and paste that into
    an Email and mail it to your work account. Then,. when you
    get to work, you paste that into Windows Media Player,
    Winamp, or whatever players happen to be isntalled on
    your work PC (WMP is standard in ALL Windows
    installs), and click OK, and then your player will
    go to that jibberish URL and begin playing your favourite
    Live 365 station. It will be navigating through the web
    proxy to get to Live 365. Since these jibberish URLS
    "expire" after a few hours, it is best to do this in the
    morning, and mail the URL to your work Email
    account, in the morning, just before you leave, so
    the URL will still likely be pointing to the station you
    want to listen to, when you go to use it. Just open
    your mail, paste the URL into your player, click OK,
    and you are good to go.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast