Configuring a VPN client for a dlink dfl800 firewall - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Configuring a VPN client for a dlink dfl800 firewall - Firewalls ; Hi, I'm kinda new to this firewall so I'm feeling lost. Is there any sort of tutorial or guide to configure a D-link VPN client to have access to a dlink dfl800 firewall? I found something for the client but ...

  1. Configuring a VPN client for a dlink dfl800 firewall

    Hi,
    I'm kinda new to this firewall so I'm feeling lost. Is there any sort
    of tutorial or guide to configure a D-link VPN client to have access
    to a dlink dfl800 firewall? I found something for the client but if I
    don't know what to do on the firewall, it doesn't help me much..
    Thanks in advance to anybody that will provide me with some useful
    info

    PS: I don't have to use certificates

    Gianfranco Ambrosi

  2. Re: Configuring a VPN client for a dlink dfl800 firewall

    Gfr wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I'm kinda new to this firewall so I'm feeling lost. Is there any sort
    > of tutorial or guide to configure a D-link VPN client to have access
    > to a dlink dfl800 firewall? I found something for the client but if I
    > don't know what to do on the firewall, it doesn't help me much..
    > Thanks in advance to anybody that will provide me with some useful
    > info

    RTFM

    Wolfgang

  3. Re: Configuring a VPN client for a dlink dfl800 firewall

    In article <7bd08e27-d5a7-4f10-aa03-
    27149da0bd9f@s19g2000prg.googlegroups.com>, capretta@gmail.com says...
    > Hi,
    > I'm kinda new to this firewall so I'm feeling lost. Is there any sort
    > of tutorial or guide to configure a D-link VPN client to have access
    > to a dlink dfl800 firewall? I found something for the client but if I
    > don't know what to do on the firewall, it doesn't help me much..
    > Thanks in advance to anybody that will provide me with some useful
    > info
    >
    > PS: I don't have to use certificates

    And why have you not looked on the D-Link website, their support pages
    are filled with how to setup VPN connections.

    --

    Leythos
    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

  4. Re: Configuring a VPN client for a dlink dfl800 firewall

    On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 10:02:46 +0100, Wolfgang Kueter
    wrote:

    >RTFM
    >
    >Wolfgang

    Someone piss in your wheaties this morning?

  5. Re: Configuring a VPN client for a dlink dfl800 firewall

    On 28 Gen, 15:11, Cunnilingus wrote:
    > On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 10:02:46 +0100, Wolfgang Kueter
    >
    > wrote:
    > >RTFM

    > >Wolfgang

    > Someone piss in your wheaties this morning?

    pages

    I DID read the proper chapters in the manuals and some info on
    websites...and right because I didn't find anything specific matching
    that client and that firewall, I asked in this forum. But it seems
    that someone prefers to waste time giving very "classy" answers
    instead of writing something useful. Fine.

    Greetings
    Gfr

  6. Re: Configuring a VPN client for a dlink dfl800 firewall

    Gfr writes:

    > On 28 Gen, 15:11, Cunnilingus wrote:
    > > On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 10:02:46 +0100, Wolfgang Kueter
    > >
    > > wrote:
    > > >RTFM

    > > >Wolfgang

    > > Someone piss in your wheaties this morning?

    > > pages
    > >

    > I DID read the proper chapters in the manuals and some info on
    > websites...and right because I didn't find anything specific matching
    > that client and that firewall, I asked in this forum. But it seems
    > that someone prefers to waste time giving very "classy" answers
    > instead of writing something useful. Fine.

    Welcome to comp.security.* :-)

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  7. Re: Configuring a VPN client for a dlink dfl800 firewall

    In article 81883a3a868f@s19g2000prg.googlegroups.com>, capretta@gmail.com says...
    > On 28 Gen, 15:11, Cunnilingus wrote:
    > > On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 10:02:46 +0100, Wolfgang Kueter
    > >
    > > wrote:
    > > >RTFM

    > > >Wolfgang

    > > Someone piss in your wheaties this morning?

    > > pages
    > >

    > I DID read the proper chapters in the manuals and some info on
    > websites...and right because I didn't find anything specific matching
    > that client and that firewall, I asked in this forum. But it seems
    > that someone prefers to waste time giving very "classy" answers
    > instead of writing something useful. Fine.

    No, as each implementation is different, there would have to be someone
    with a DFL-800 to direct you specifically to how to resolve your issue.

    You don't need to get snotty, like someone that doesn't want help.

    As it stands, I have a DFL-700, in fact, about 15 of them, running
    around the country and use the PPTP VPN function on all of them. It was
    painless to setup and the directions on the D-Link website made it easy
    - if you have some basic networking skills/understanding - if not, then
    you should find someone to come onsite and help you.

    With your response tone I'm not lending you a hand.

    --

    Leythos
    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

  8. Re: Configuring a VPN client for a dlink dfl800 firewall

    Gfr wrote:

    > I DID read the proper chapters in the manuals and some info on
    > websites...and right because I didn't find anything specific matching
    > that client and that firewall, I asked in this forum.

    What kind of VPN do you want to configure? IPSec? L2TP/PPTP or ???

    What did you try so far?

    Did you get any errors? If yes, what were the error messages?

    > But it seems
    > that someone prefers to waste time giving very "classy" answers
    > instead of writing something useful.

    The information you provided were not sufficient to enable someone to help
    you because you only said: I've a DLINK box and want to configure a VPN ...

    Wolfgang

  9. Re: Configuring a VPN client for a dlink dfl800 firewall

    > The information you provided were not sufficient to enable someone to help
    > you because you only said: I've a DLINK box and want to configure a VPN ...
    >
    > Wolfgang

    "With your response tone I'm not lending you a hand. "

    Mine?

    That's Ok, I better do by myself, thanks anyway

    Gfr

  10. Re: Configuring a VPN client for a dlink dfl800 firewall

    On Jan 29, 1:42 am, Gfr wrote:
    > > The information you provided were not sufficient to enable someone to help
    > > you because you only said: I've a DLINK box and want to configure a VPN ...

    > > Wolfgang

    > "With your response tone I'm not lending you a hand. "
    >
    > Mine?
    >
    > That's Ok, I better do by myself, thanks anyway

    Yes. That is probably better. If you don't want to give details on
    what you did etc. we cannot help you. You did not mention that you
    have read the manual before nor did you exactly post which web sites
    you have checked or tried. "something" is a little bit vague, isn't
    it?

    You don't exactly post which VPN client you use. There are various
    versions available.

    The rest of your OP sounded very much like those posts of other
    people which don't care to even read the manual and just cry help once
    the solution does not pop up as first result in your web search...

    The dlink support pages has something on "How do I configure the
    DS-601/DS-605 VPN software client to connect to the DFL-210/800/1600?"
    which sounds to me very much like the thing you want to do. But if it
    does not work you must give more details. What would be the benefit of
    pointing you again to this article if you tried it before but don't
    mention it nor mention what did go wrong?

    Basic instructions are always in the manual and it is futile to repeat
    all that here. Read the manual. Try it. It contains instructions how
    to set up IPSec, PPTP, and L2TP. If you failed post what you have
    tried exactly, what settings you have used, what exact error messages
    you saw, messages in the logs etc.

    Gerald

  11. Re: Configuring a VPN client for a dlink dfl800 firewall

    > The dlink support pages has something on "How do I configure the
    > DS-601/DS-605 VPN software client to connect to the DFL-210/800/1600?"
    > which sounds to me very much like the thing you want to do. But if it
    > does not work you must give more details. What would be the benefit of
    > pointing you again to this article if you tried it before but don't
    > mention it nor mention what did go wrong?
    >
    > Basic instructions are always in the manual and it is futile to repeat
    > all that here. Read the manual. Try it. It contains instructions how
    > to set up IPSec, PPTP, and L2TP. If you failed post what you have
    > tried exactly, what settings you have used, what exact error messages
    > you saw, messages in the logs etc.
    >
    > Gerald

    Hi,
    thanks for your post. I need to check again all the settings (IPSec
    connection): I have no time to do it during these days, as that's an
    extra thing I have to fix and I'm kinda busy. Last Sunday I followed
    some steps in the manual and set the firewall in a way similar to
    what is written in the Dlink support site but I still had some trouble
    with the IKE in the first phase...so I may have set something wrong as
    I was bored and tired. That's why I need to deal with it by myself.
    Thanks again,
    bye
    Gfr

  12. Re: Configuring a VPN client for a dlink dfl800 firewall

    > mention it nor mention what did go wrong?
    >
    > Basic instructions are always in the manual and it is futile to repeat
    > all that here. Read the manual. Try it. It contains instructions how
    > to set up IPSec, PPTP, and L2TP. If you failed post what you have
    > tried exactly, what settings you have used, what exact error messages
    > you saw, messages in the logs etc.
    >
    > Gerald

    Ok, I'm back.
    My case seems to be right the one described here
    http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.as...estion=dfl-800
    but there is something wrong and evidently I'm missing something.
    So..I have this dlink dfl 800 at home. It's not connected to an actual
    LAN because I have to set it up before connecting it to the LAN and to
    internet. The client is Net Defend v 1.03...which looks like the one
    in the example. I'm pretty sure that the problem is not the client but
    I did something wrong on the firewall or forgot something. In fact
    everything matches with the example on the dlink page..but I have a
    problem with the first phase of the IKE (IKE error phase 1. Lost
    contact to peer). Data (tx) in Kbyte results to be 5,523 so the
    request seems to leave the client...but evidently there's no reply
    from the firewall. Right because I'm not testing it on a real existing
    network, I must've made some mistake or forgot something.
    Under Interfaces - Ethernet I have a wan1 with IP 10.0.0.1, network
    10.0.0.0 default gateway 10.0.0.1, no DHCP
    The lan is with IP 192.168.1.1, same IP for the gateway
    Under IP rules I set the rules just like in the example to allow any
    traffic to and from the client to the server, with IPsec Tunnel....

    Under IPSec Tunnels, I set
    all-nets for Local network and Remote network,
    no remote endpoint,
    Tunnel as encapsulation mode,
    selected the key I had set before, then put a tick on Routing/
    Dynamically add a route etc etc and Advanced/Add route for remote
    network

    My laptop has IP 172.30.1.1 and the dlink client points to the
    firewall gateway with IP 10.0.0.1. I connected to the port Wan1 and
    tried to connect but the connection stopped at the first phase.
    What am I forgetting or what did I do wrong?
    Sorry again for bothering but since I can deal with this issue only on
    week ends, it's getting a bit annoying.. :P:P

    Gfr

  13. Re: Configuring a VPN client for a dlink dfl800 firewall

    Gfr wrote:

    >> mention it nor mention what did go wrong?
    >>
    >> Basic instructions are always in the manual and it is futile to repeat
    >> all that here. Read the manual. Try it. It contains instructions how
    >> to set up IPSec, PPTP, and L2TP. If you failed post what you have
    >> tried exactly, what settings you have used, what exact error messages
    >> you saw, messages in the logs etc.
    >>
    >> Gerald

    > Ok, I'm back.
    > My case seems to be right the one described here
    > http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.as...estion=dfl-800
    > but there is something wrong and evidently I'm missing something.
    > So..I have this dlink dfl 800 at home. It's not connected to an actual
    > LAN because I have to set it up before connecting it to the LAN and to
    > internet. The client is Net Defend v 1.03...which looks like the one
    > in the example. I'm pretty sure that the problem is not the client but
    > I did something wrong on the firewall or forgot something. In fact
    > everything matches with the example on the dlink page..but I have a
    > problem with the first phase of the IKE (IKE error phase 1. Lost
    > contact to peer). Data (tx) in Kbyte results to be 5,523 so the
    > request seems to leave the client...but evidently there's no reply
    > from the firewall. Right because I'm not testing it on a real existing
    > network,

    > I must've made some mistake or forgot something.

    Oviously you have not tried whether your client 172.30.1.1 can reach
    10.0.0.1 (Firewall WAN-IP) ...

    > Under Interfaces - Ethernet I have a wan1 with IP 10.0.0.1, network
    > 10.0.0.0 default gateway 10.0.0.1, no DHCP

    So the default gateway is the firewall itself, which means that the
    firewall will send everything to its own external interface. That is
    obviouly complete crap, even for a lab setup.

    > The lan is with IP 192.168.1.1, same IP for the gateway

    No gateway to be configured here.

    > My laptop has IP 172.30.1.1 and the dlink client points to the
    > firewall gateway with IP 10.0.0.1. I connected to the port Wan1 and
    > tried to connect but the connection stopped at the first phase.
    > What am I forgetting or what did I do wrong?

    The client simpy cannot reach the gateway, how should he?

    Configure your lab like this:

    Firewall:
    IP-Wan: 10.0.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 gateway 10.0.0.254
    IP-LAN: 10.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0

    Client: 10.0.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 gateway 10.0.0.254

    Connect the WAN Interface and the client to a switch and runs your tests
    again.

    > Sorry again for bothering but since I can deal with this issue only on
    > week ends, it's getting a bit annoying.. :P:P

    You are anooying because you try to deal with IPSec ( a rather complicated
    matter) but even seem to have no clue about what IP-adresses and netmasks
    together mean.

    You have to ensure that the client can reach the firewall by putting them if
    the same subnet if no routers are involved.

    Wolfgang

  14. Re: Configuring a VPN client for a dlink dfl800 firewall

    Back!

    > > network,
    > > I must've made some mistake or forgot something.

    > Oviously you have not tried whether your client 172.30.1.1 can reach
    > 10.0.0.1 (Firewall WAN-IP) ...

    Actually I forgot to say that the client was using 10.0.0.2 and it was
    not picking the IP of my laptop. My bad, sorry. I did so many attempts
    that when I wrote last post I was again tired and somehow frustrated
    for failing

    > > Under Interfaces - Ethernet I have a wan1 with IP 10.0.0.1, network
    > > 10.0.0.0 default gateway 10.0.0.1, no DHCP

    > So the default gateway is the firewall itself, which *means that the
    > firewall will send everything to its own external interface. That is
    > obviouly complete crap, even for a lab setup.

    I did it on purpose. The only thing connected to the firewall was my
    laptop so I wanted to make all the traffic converge to 1 specific IP.
    Then, after making it work, I can change the gateway. Thanks for your
    nice opinion, honey

    > Firewall:
    > IP-Wan: 10.0.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 gateway 10.0.0.254
    > IP-LAN: 10.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0
    >
    > Client: 10.0.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 gateway 10.0.0.254

    it's similar to what I did. Sorry again for omitting that the client
    was using its own IP

    > Connect the WAN Interface and the client to a switch and runs your tests
    > again.

    I did it with and without switch, with straight and crossover
    cables...but the problem was not that one. I fixed it 10 minutes ago.
    The problem was that I changed 263874638 times the IP settings on my
    ethernet card, net adaptor, client adapter, ..every time I had to
    connect to the LAN port of the firewall to configure it..and then to
    the WAN port to test it. Plus my wifi card is using another different
    IP too and I had to disable several times the client adaptor when I
    was using again the wifi network at home during the rest of the
    week...so..in short, the client connection was somehow screwed up. I
    re installed the client, checked again all the IPs, disabling the wifi
    at home and now it's working fine. Deo gratias

    > > Sorry again for bothering but since I can deal with this issue only on
    > > week ends, it's getting a bit annoying.. :P:P

    > You are anooying because you try to deal with IPSec ( a rather complicated
    > matter) but even seem to have no clue about what IP-adresses and netmasks
    > together mean.

    you never miss the chance to say something nasty, don't you?
    Well..thanks anyway..at least you tried to help me.

    Bye

    Gianfranco

  15. Re: Configuring a VPN client for a dlink dfl800 firewall

    Wolfgang Kueter;3490264 Wrote:[color=blue]
    > Gfr wrote:
    >
    > RTFM
    >
    > Wolfgang

    That is precisely the answer we awaited for years. Thank you Wolfgang!

    --
    lucas.g
    lucas.g's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=48507

    http://forums.techarena.in