Has anybody got ICAP working with PIX or Cisco content engine and
Surfcontrol? If this worked wouldnt it be the best solution?

-----Original Message-----
From: firewall-wizards-bounces@listserv.icsalabs.com
[mailto:firewall-wizards-bounces@listserv.icsalabs.com]On Behalf Of
Victor Williams
Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 8:41 PM
To: Firewall Wizards Security Mailing List
Cc: firewall-wizards@listserv.cybertrust.com
Subject: Re: [fw-wiz] Enforcing content filtering with PIX515E

The simplest way to get SurfControl to example all packets headed to and
through your firewall is to put both your firewall and the surfcontrol
server on the same hub. SurfControl will automatically see all traffic
and make decisions on it accordingly.

If you have a switched network, depending on your switching fabric, you
should be able to set up port mirroring on the port SurfControl is
running on, and set it to mirror the port that the PIX is plugged into.

If you do have SurfControl licensed, you should have access by default
to their knowledgebase where they cover this in at least 4 different
articles.

Redirecting traffic from port 80 won't work...because the traffic will
get to the SurfControl server, but how in turn will the SurfControl
server then tell the traffic to proceed to the internet where it's
supposed to go, when that traffic is then going to be told to be sent
right back to the SurfControl server (itself) again? You're going to
get an infinite loop going there.

Also, just to clarify, SurfControl isn't a content filter. It's a URL
and port/protocol filter. It doesn't examine the full content/packets
of anything. It looks at how, say, a URL is classified as, and chooses
to allow or deny it based on your rules. It doesn't look at the content
of anything but it's own database of URLs, and decides how to process
your request.