What firewall can and cannot block - Firewalls

This is a discussion on What firewall can and cannot block - Firewalls ; i want to know what firewall can and cannot block.. please give me a detail information about it.....

  1. What firewall can and cannot block

    i want to know what firewall can and cannot block..
    please give me a detail information about it..

  2. Re: What firewall can and cannot block

    geniusguest0711@gmail.com wrote:

    > i want to know what firewall can and cannot block..
    > please give me a detail information about it..

    Depends on the firewall...

    Juergen Nieveler
    --
    I am, therefore, I think. I think.

  3. Re: What firewall can and cannot block

    geniusguest0711@gmail.com writes:

    > i want to know what firewall can and cannot block..
    > please give me a detail information about it..

    They can't block highly unconstrained, largely unanswerable questions
    from reaching comp.security.firewalls, for one.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  4. Re: What firewall can and cannot block

    On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 01:09:53 -0800 (PST)
    geniusguest0711@gmail.com wrote:

    > i want to know what firewall can and cannot block..
    > please give me a detail information about it..

    This is a serious answer, because I'm going under the assumption that
    you are probably a business owner or manager whose pinkies happen to
    have been broken in a freak typing accident.

    You can have a firewall can block everything... but then nothing will
    get though. At that point you might as well not have a network
    connection.

    You want things to get through though, well, certain things. So you try
    to choose what to let through. The problem is that it takes a great deal
    more information to separate what you want from what you don't want than
    can be conveniently communicated in a newsgroup thread. You have people
    reading this list who are usually quite generous with the bandwidth
    that comes out their fingertips, but this question is broad enough
    to be an abuse of that generosity.

    What you need to do is either pay someone for their education and
    experience in this area or acquire relevant education and experience of
    your own, which you may legitimately be trying to do. The open-ended
    nature of your inquiry, however, suggests that you have no basis for
    estimating what the education will cost... let alone the experience. In
    either event, the place to start is your local library. Go to the far
    left hand side of non-fiction where the Dewey decimal numbers begin
    with zero. Look for books on security and firewalls among those on
    Dreamweaver and Excel. They'll usually be about three inches thick.
    You'll need to read at least 3 books of that nature before your
    bull**** detector can be calibrated to learn anything. At that point,
    you might be ready to ask a question or make an intelligent hiring
    decision on a security consultant.

    Chris

  5. Re: What firewall can and cannot block

    A FW can block all access inbound and outbound. There are two(2) types of FW
    in general; Hardware and Software FW. If you have a cable or dsl connection
    with a modern modem, you probably all ready have a HW FW that utilizes
    Network Address Translation adequately without a router. You will have to
    research that yourself by manufacture or consult your ISP help online. The
    Software FW blocks all ports(software) from inbound attacks and unsolicited
    port scans. The windows xp/vista FW will only block inbound. Many Software
    FW like ZoneAlarm (the easiest free FW available to learn with) also blocks
    outbound with permissions that you can assign, but in the case of ZA, a
    server will also assign permissions at initial start up of an application
    that wants access to the Internet. There are many free FW for trial out
    there and a good website would be www.freefirewall.org . I hope this helps
    you on your way.

    wrote in message
    > i want to know what firewall can and cannot block..
    > please give me a detail information about it..

  6. Re: What firewall can and cannot block

    On Jan 22, 1:09*pm, geniusguest0...@gmail.com wrote:
    > i want to know what firewall can and cannot block..
    > please give me a detail information about it..

    a firewall primarily blocks any unauthorised traffic comming from
    untrusted network to trusted network.a firewall cant stop/clean a
    virus comming into your network its just a connection manager.

    below are some types of firewalls..

    packet filter -- rules can be created to block traffic based on IP/
    Port Number

    stateful firewall -- firewall decides whether to allow a traffic or
    not by refering to a state table(consisting of details whether a
    session initiated or not)

    application proxy -- primarily used to block applications(e.g yahoo
    messenger)
    whose port numbers keep changing dynamically.

    most of the todays firewalls have the above capabilities.

    hope that clarifies ur doubts...

  7. Re: What firewall can and cannot block

    Here is a good write up on FW, its history of development and various types
    that evolved.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firewall#Function

    "Jim" wrote in message
    > A FW can block all access inbound and outbound. There are two(2) types of

    FW
    > in general; Hardware and Software FW. If you have a cable or dsl

    connection
    > with a modern modem, you probably all ready have a HW FW that utilizes
    > Network Address Translation adequately without a router. You will have to
    > research that yourself by manufacture or consult your ISP help online. The
    > Software FW blocks all ports(software) from inbound attacks and

    unsolicited
    > port scans. The windows xp/vista FW will only block inbound. Many Software
    > FW like ZoneAlarm (the easiest free FW available to learn with) also

    blocks
    > outbound with permissions that you can assign, but in the case of ZA, a
    > server will also assign permissions at initial start up of an application
    > that wants access to the Internet. There are many free FW for trial out
    > there and a good website would be www.freefirewall.org . I hope this helps
    > you on your way.
    >
    > wrote in message
    > > i want to know what firewall can and cannot block..
    > > please give me a detail information about it..

  8. Re: What firewall can and cannot block

    geniusguest0711@gmail.com wrote in news:c5716e7e-cb5d-4fb1-8ce6-
    3386951d78f9@m34g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

    > i want to know what firewall can and cannot block..
    > please give me a detail information about it..

    Good question!

    Firewalls can be set to block nothing, everything, and anything in between
    those two extremes.

    Good luck with your configuration.

    CJ

    --
    "-When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."

+ Reply to Thread