Unable to browse network drives via over VPN on Vista clients - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Unable to browse network drives via over VPN on Vista clients - Firewalls ; Hello, When trying to browse network drives while connected to VPN over a mobile broadband connection on a computer with Windows Vista Ultimate installed, I get the following error: "\\networkdrive is not accessible. You might not have permission to use ...

  1. Unable to browse network drives via over VPN on Vista clients

    Hello,

    When trying to browse network drives while connected to VPN over a
    mobile broadband connection on a computer with Windows Vista Ultimate
    installed, I get the following error:

    "\\networkdrive is not accessible. You might not have permission to
    use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server
    to find out if you have access permissions."

    If I attempt to connect to a mapped network drive, I get a different
    error:

    "An error occurred while reconnecting to \\networkdrive
    Microsoft Windows Network: The user name could not be found.
    This connection has not been restored."

    I have been able to dupliate this on 2 separate laptops. The laptops
    are joined to a company's domain, then the employees take them out in
    the field and establish a mobile broadband connection using Dell's
    broadband software and the Verizon wireless data network. In the
    interest of testing, I've also connected using my Motorola Q phone as
    a bluetooth modem but this is also over the Verizon service. Anyway
    the service shouldn't matter since its encrypted traffic anyway right?

    Now if I take this same laptop, and use a different company's internet
    connection, it will work. That is to say the laptop is still joined
    to my company's domain, but if I utilize an internet connection at a
    different company which is also in a domain environment, I can connect
    to my company's VPN and happily browse network drives all day. The
    problem seems to be how Vista has classified the internet connection.
    When I connect through mobile broadband, the Network and Sharing
    center shows it as a 'Public' connection and rightfully so. I'm just
    wondering if by classifying the connection as public vs. private
    triggers some additional security?

    When using the latest version of Netscreen-Remote (from Juniper) a new
    Safenet Virtual Adapter connection will show up in the list of
    networks. I've checked the properties for both this virtual adapter
    and for the mobile broadband connection and NETBIOS is enabled on both
    connections. I can ping the network drives I'm trying to utilize, but
    I just can't browse to them using UNC or IP address. In order to ping
    them I did have to add them to the hosts files.

    Anyway, I'm at a loss and don't know what else to try. I've been
    monkeying with this for about a month now, and have had a ticket open
    with Juniper support for as long. I've provided them with log files,
    screen shots, etc, and they are still working on it but I don't think
    they fully understand what the problem I'm reporting is.

    If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them. I've wiped the laptop,
    re-installed Vista, dis-joined and re-joined the domain, changed
    passwords, tried multiple connection methods and laptops, checked and
    re-checked permissions to the drive... but I can't give up.

    Thank you

  2. Re: Unable to browse network drives via over VPN on Vista clients

    On Thu, 17 Jan 2008, Phineas wrote:

    > the field and establish a mobile broadband connection using Dell's
    > broadband software and the Verizon wireless data network.

    We had problems even making a connection with our Cisco VPN client until
    we disabled the Venturi compression software. You can disable it
    permanently by removing it from the Add/Remove Programs control panel or
    take these steps first if you want to confirm that it's the culprit:

    1. open VZAccess Manager
    2. from pull-down menu select Tools-> Preferences
    3. click on the Venturi tab
    4. uncheck "Compress and accellerate WWAN connections"
    5. click OK

    q.v. http://www.venturiwireless.com/tech_support/FAQs.html esp. if the
    uninstaller leaves some files behind.

    -Gary

  3. Re: Unable to browse network drives via over VPN on Vista clients

    Hi Gary,

    Thank you for responding. Dell's laptops come with a Dell mobile
    broadband software package that performs the same functions as VZAM
    but it must be slightly different as I do not see any entries for
    Venturi in my program list.

    Additionally, I CAN browse network drives in the same exact setting by
    simply changing the OS to XP professional SP2. I also know that it is
    not a hardware issue, as I've got a dual install of XP and Vista on
    the same laptop I'm using to test. That also eliminates the
    possibility that's its related to account or drive security. It has
    to be something to do with the way Vista handles security when in a
    non-domain environment.

    =On Jan 20, 1:22*pm, Gary
    > On Thu, 17 Jan 2008, Phineas wrote:
    > > the field and establish a mobile broadband connection using Dell's
    > > broadband software and the Verizon wireless data network.

    > We had problems even making a connection with our Cisco VPN client until
    > we disabled the Venturi compression software. You can disable it
    > permanently by removing it from the Add/Remove Programs control panel or
    > take these steps first if you want to confirm that it's the culprit:
    >
    > 1. open VZAccess Manager
    > 2. from pull-down menu select Tools-> Preferences
    > 3. click on the Venturi tab
    > 4. uncheck "Compress and accellerate WWAN connections"
    > 5. click OK
    >
    > q.v.http://www.venturiwireless.com/tech_...t/FAQs.htmlesp. if the
    > uninstaller leaves some files behind.
    >
    > -Gary

  4. Re: Unable to browse network drives via over VPN on Vista clients

    Also having the same exact problem but with sonicwall vpn instead of
    cisco. I also don't have a venturi tab. Was there ever another fix
    found for this problem?

    --
    mlevin
    mlevin's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=47579

    http://forums.techarena.in

  5. Re: Unable to browse network drives via over VPN on Vista clients

    Take a look at
    http://jgnk.spaces.live.com/blog/cns...71A5!217.entry

    --
    juliusganns
    juliusganns's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=47776
    View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=894664

    http://forums.techarena.in

  6. Re: Unable to browse network drives via over VPN on Vista clients

    snikki had written this in response to
    http://www.secure-gear.com/comp.secu...icle29533-.htm
    :
    did you ever find a resolution for fixing the domain resource browsing? i
    am having the same issue, but do not have sonicwall or venturi installed.

    mlevin wrote:

    > Also having the same exact problem but with sonicwall vpn instead of
    > cisco. I also don't have a venturi tab. Was there ever another fix
    > found for this problem?

    Delivered via http://www.secure-gear.com
    The Internet Knowledge Base for the security industry
    comp.security.firewalls - 27964 messages and counting!