Wedding Planning Sites - NOT unethical - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Wedding Planning Sites - NOT unethical - Firewalls ; X-No-Archive: Yes I did turn one of my proxies back on for a few minutes to see what people are using my proxy for, when surfing from work, and I did see someone from Australia surfing various kinds of wedding-related ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 60

  1. Wedding Planning Sites - NOT unethical

    I did turn one of my proxies back on for a few minutes to see what people
    are using my proxy for, when surfing from work, and I did see
    someone from Australia surfing various kinds of wedding-related
    sites.

    Any employer that would ban sites for planning a WEDDING is
    NUTS. There is NOTHING unethical about using the company
    networks to surf wedding-related sites for planning a wedding.
    One's wedding day is a very SPECIAL day, and I feel that the
    corporate network that was obviously banning wedding sites
    needs to RETHINK their usage policies. There is NOTHING
    wrong OR unethical about suring wedding-related sites from
    work. I am glad to know that I was helping someone plan
    their wedding day without the boss knowing what they were
    doing. They will see a lot of connections to my proxy, but
    that person's boss, in Australia, will NEVER KNOW that
    employee was surfing wedding sites form work, and I feel
    good knowing that I was helping someone be able to plan
    their special day, from work, without the boss being able
    to know what he/she was up to.

  2. Re: Wedding Planning Sites - NOT unethical

    In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    > Any employer that would ban sites for planning a WEDDING is
    > NUTS. There is NOTHING unethical about using the company
    > networks to surf wedding-related sites for planning a wedding.

    This is why you would be fired if you worked for someone.

    A company network is for COMPANY BUSINESS, NOT PERSONAL BUSINESS.

    --

    Leythos
    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

  3. Re: Wedding Planning Sites - NOT unethical

    "Leythos" wrote in message
    news:MPG.21f7c32810b96880989986@Adfree.usenet.com. ..
    > In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    >> Any employer that would ban sites for planning a WEDDING is
    >> NUTS. There is NOTHING unethical about using the company
    >> networks to surf wedding-related sites for planning a wedding.

    > This is why you would be fired if you worked for someone.
    >
    > A company network is for COMPANY BUSINESS, NOT PERSONAL BUSINESS.

    A wedding is a verry SPECIAL occasion, and I see NOTHING
    wrong with surfing wedding-related sites from work, as long
    as you get your work done.

  4. Re: Wedding Planning Sites - NOT unethical

    * Chilly8 :

    > "Leythos" wrote in message
    > news:MPG.21f7c32810b96880989986@Adfree.usenet.com. ..
    >> In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    >>> Any employer that would ban sites for planning a WEDDING is
    >>> NUTS. There is NOTHING unethical about using the company
    >>> networks to surf wedding-related sites for planning a wedding.

    >> This is why you would be fired if you worked for someone.
    >>
    >> A company network is for COMPANY BUSINESS, NOT PERSONAL BUSINESS.

    > A wedding is a verry SPECIAL occasion, and I see NOTHING
    > wrong with surfing wedding-related sites from work, as long
    > as you get your work done.

    Using company resources for non company things is likely against company
    policy. What part of that are you having trouble with? I'd love to see
    you actually own a company and have your staff doing what you suggest
    instead of what you are paying them for. How quickly would you change
    your tune?

    Jason

  5. Re: Wedding Planning Sites - NOT unethical

    "Leythos" wrote in message
    news:MPG.21f81ad8b69e409e989988@Adfree.usenet.com. ..
    > In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    >>
    >> "Leythos" wrote in message
    >> news:MPG.21f7c32810b96880989986@Adfree.usenet.com. ..
    >> > In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    >> >
    >> > This is why you would be fired if you worked for someone.
    >> >
    >> > A company network is for COMPANY BUSINESS, NOT PERSONAL BUSINESS.

    >> A wedding is a verry SPECIAL occasion, and I see NOTHING
    >> wrong with surfing wedding-related sites from work, as long
    >> as you get your work done.

    > Again, it's not your call. In our customers networks we even block
    > access to News and most other sites by default from Managers.

    Well, I don't care what people do on my proxy, as long as its
    lawful in France and Mexico, where the main server, and
    backup servers are, respectfively. If some "office drone"
    wants to surf wedding sites through my proxy, they are
    more then welcome to do so.

  6. Re: Wedding Planning Sites - NOT unethical

    "Jason" wrote in message
    >* Chilly8 :
    >>
    >> "Leythos" wrote in message
    >> news:MPG.21f7c32810b96880989986@Adfree.usenet.com. ..
    >>> In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    >>>
    >>> This is why you would be fired if you worked for someone.
    >>>
    >>> A company network is for COMPANY BUSINESS, NOT PERSONAL BUSINESS.

    >> A wedding is a verry SPECIAL occasion, and I see NOTHING
    >> wrong with surfing wedding-related sites from work, as long
    >> as you get your work done.
    >>

    > Using company resources for non company things is likely against company
    > policy. What part of that are you having trouble with? I'd love to see
    > you actually own a company and have your staff doing what you suggest
    > instead of what you are paying them for. How quickly would you change
    > your tune?

    As long as they got their work done, I would not have a problem with
    that, or listening to online radio. As long as you get your work done,
    that is all that should matter.

  7. Re: Wedding Planning Sites - NOT unethical

    In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    > Well, I don't care what people do on my proxy, as long as its
    > lawful in France and Mexico, where the main server, and
    > backup servers are, respectfively. If some "office drone"
    > wants to surf wedding sites through my proxy, they are
    > more then welcome to do so.

    And that's why all of us consider you an unethical person.

    --

    Leythos
    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

  8. Re: Wedding Planning Sites - NOT unethical

    "Leythos" wrote in message
    news:MPG.21f85a41334a24e298998a@Adfree.usenet.com. ..
    > In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    >> Well, I don't care what people do on my proxy, as long as its
    >> lawful in France and Mexico, where the main server, and
    >> backup servers are, respectfively. If some "office drone"
    >> wants to surf wedding sites through my proxy, they are
    >> more then welcome to do so.

    > And that's why all of us consider you an unethical person.

    Providing a public proxy is NOT unethical, and is LEGAL
    in France, and in Mexico, where my servers are. As long
    as what someone is doing in LEGAL in France, and in
    Mexico, I cannot be charged with any crime for operating
    a public proxy server. Because my servers are in France,
    and Mexico, they are ONLY subject to FRENCH and
    MEXICAN laws, and as long as what someone is
    doing does not violate either French or Mexican laws,
    I am in the clear.

  9. Re: Wedding Planning Sites - NOT unethical

    In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...

    > "Leythos" wrote in message
    > news:MPG.21f85a41334a24e298998a@Adfree.usenet.com. ..
    > > In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    > >> Well, I don't care what people do on my proxy, as long as its
    > >> lawful in France and Mexico, where the main server, and
    > >> backup servers are, respectfively. If some "office drone"
    > >> wants to surf wedding sites through my proxy, they are
    > >> more then welcome to do so.

    > > And that's why all of us consider you an unethical person.

    > Providing a public proxy is NOT unethical, and is LEGAL
    > in France, and in Mexico, where my servers are. As long
    > as what someone is doing in LEGAL in France, and in
    > Mexico, I cannot be charged with any crime for operating
    > a public proxy server. Because my servers are in France,
    > and Mexico, they are ONLY subject to FRENCH and
    > MEXICAN laws, and as long as what someone is
    > doing does not violate either French or Mexican laws,
    > I am in the clear.

    You are not in the clean then YOU ADVISE PEOPLE THAT BREAKING COMPANY
    POLICY IS PERMITTED, WHEN YOU ADVISE PEOPLE THAT THEY CAN NOT BE
    DETECTED OR MONITORED......

    Your beliefs and statements are unethical, you tell people to violate
    company policy all the time in these groups.

    --

    Leythos
    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

  10. Re: Wedding Planning Sites - NOT unethical

    "Leythos" wrote in message
    news:MPG.21f88394687b550398998c@Adfree.usenet.com. ..
    > In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    >>
    >> "Leythos" wrote in message
    >> news:MPG.21f85a41334a24e298998a@Adfree.usenet.com. ..
    >> > In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    >> >
    >> > And that's why all of us consider you an unethical person.

    >> Providing a public proxy is NOT unethical, and is LEGAL
    >> in France, and in Mexico, where my servers are. As long
    >> as what someone is doing in LEGAL in France, and in
    >> Mexico, I cannot be charged with any crime for operating
    >> a public proxy server. Because my servers are in France,
    >> and Mexico, they are ONLY subject to FRENCH and
    >> MEXICAN laws, and as long as what someone is
    >> doing does not violate either French or Mexican laws,
    >> I am in the clear.

    > You are not in the clean then YOU ADVISE PEOPLE THAT BREAKING COMPANY
    > POLICY IS PERMITTED, WHEN YOU ADVISE PEOPLE THAT THEY CAN NOT BE
    > DETECTED OR MONITORED......
    >
    > Your beliefs and statements are unethical, you tell people to violate
    > company policy all the time in these groups.

    I do it far more in the figure skating message boards. I often go into
    Figure Skating Universe or GoldenSkate, and tell people how to
    circumvent filtering system to access FSU or GS from work. Since
    NEITHER business (yes, both boards are run as a for-profit business)
    is based in the United States, ANY postings sent to either board is
    NOT SUBJECT to ANY United States law. So any posts I make
    on EITHER site telling people how to circumvent company filtering
    systems to get onto the board from work is NOT SUBJECT to
    ANY laws in the United States, becuase both businesses are
    based OUTSIDE the United States. Posts made to FSU, for
    example, are ONLY subject to BRITISH laws, because the
    business is based in BRITAIN. As such, the owners of
    Figure Skating Universe CANNOT BE COMPELLED to
    comply with ANY United States laws, and neither can
    anyone who reads from or posts to, the site.

  11. Re: Wedding Planning Sites - NOT unethical

    Chilly8 wrote, On 17/01/08 21:49:

    > "Leythos" wrote in message

    >> Your beliefs and statements are unethical, you tell people to violate
    >> company policy all the time in these groups.

    > is based in the United States, ANY postings sent to either board is
    > NOT SUBJECT to ANY United States law. So any posts I make

    Just because something is legal does not mean it is ethical. You keep
    failing to address the point that adding to the costs of a business that
    is against the companies rules, or advising something which will add to
    the costs, is NOT ethical. Legality is a separate issue.
    --
    Flash Gordon

  12. Re: Wedding Planning Sites - NOT unethical

    "Flash Gordon" wrote in message
    > Chilly8 wrote, On 17/01/08 21:49:
    >>
    >> "Leythos" wrote in message

    >>> Your beliefs and statements are unethical, you tell people to violate
    >>> company policy all the time in these groups.

    >> is based in the United States, ANY postings sent to either board is
    >> NOT SUBJECT to ANY United States law. So any posts I make

    > Just because something is legal does not mean it is ethical. You keep
    > failing to address the point that adding to the costs of a business that
    > is against the companies rules, or advising something which will add to
    > the costs, is NOT ethical. Legality is a separate issue.

    Well, last October, someone from a high school, in New York,
    was using my proxy to listen to a figure skating event we cover.
    That is becuase one student in the school was a entrant in that
    competition, and her school-mates were using my proxy, to
    circumvent the school filters, so that could listen as their
    school-mate strutted her stuff at that particular skating
    competition. I got some E-mail from one of them praising
    me for giving them the ability to circumvent the school's firewall
    and follow that competition their school-mate was competing
    in. Since they were merely following the competition their
    school-mate was in, I see NOTHING wrong with providing
    the means to get around the school filtering system, and tune
    in to our broadcast of that event.

  13. Re: Wedding Planning Sites - NOT unethical

    Chilly8 wrote:

    > I see NOTHING wrong with providing the means to get around

    > the school filtering system

    You see nothing wrong with advertising people to drive themselves into
    serious trouble? Now it's obvious that you are an idiot.

  14. Re: Wedding Planning Sites - NOT unethical

    "Sebastian G." wrote in message
    > Chilly8 wrote:
    >
    >> I see NOTHING wrong with providing the means to get around

    > > the school filtering system

    > You see nothing wrong with advertising people to drive themselves into
    > serious trouble? Now it's obvious that you are an idiot.

    But these were just kids. Circumventing the school's filtering system
    to listen as their school-mate performed at this particular figure
    skating event was certainly NOT something that was going to
    haunt them for the rest of their lives. They were NOT breaking
    any New York laws by using my proxy to tune in to the event.

    No future employer is going to care much about something
    they did in high school, when they were teenagers.

  15. Re: Wedding Planning Sites - NOT unethical

    In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    > and her school-mates were using my proxy, to
    > circumvent the school filters,

    See, you support unethical activity, you help people circumvent rules
    put in place to protect the networks and resources. You are unethical.

    --

    Leythos
    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

  16. Re: Wedding Planning Sites - NOT unethical

    In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    > They were NOT breaking
    > any New York laws by using my proxy to tune in to the event.

    Actually, many school systems have policy, signed by parents and kids,
    that permit the school to permanently disable their computer accounts
    for such violations.

    You are unethical.

    --

    Leythos
    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

  17. Re: Wedding Planning Sites - NOT unethical

    * Chilly8 :
    > But these were just kids. Circumventing the school's filtering system
    > to listen as their school-mate performed at this particular figure
    > skating event was certainly NOT something that was going to
    > haunt them for the rest of their lives. They were NOT breaking
    > any New York laws by using my proxy to tune in to the event.
    >
    > No future employer is going to care much about something
    > they did in high school, when they were teenagers.

    Chilly is english not your native language? I figure that has to be the
    reason why you can't grasp some basic simple facts.

    Jason

  18. Re: Wedding Planning Sites - NOT unethical

    "Leythos" wrote in message
    news:MPG.21fb2fbbbe30866c989994@Adfree.usenet.com. ..
    > In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    >> They were NOT breaking
    >> any New York laws by using my proxy to tune in to the event.

    > Actually, many school systems have policy, signed by parents and kids,
    > that permit the school to permanently disable their computer accounts
    > for such violations.
    >
    > You are unethical.

    Another good example, some years ago, was one girl who was a
    student at Bob Jones University. She told me that her parents
    did not agree with some parts of the Internet usage policy, so
    they set up an encrypted link on the parents broadband link at
    home. When she went to surf the Net, she would make an
    encrypted connection to her parents computer, and then
    surf the net from there. There is no POSSIBLE way the
    admins at Bob Jones University could EVER figure out
    what she was up to. They would know she was making
    an encrypted connection to her parents computer, but
    would never know where she was going beyond her
    parents computer. Bascially, her parents gave her a
    private link to circumvent the University's filtering
    system, and in the four years she was there, the
    university never got wise to what she was doing.

  19. Re: Wedding Planning Sites - NOT unethical

    "Leythos" wrote in message
    news:MPG.21fb2f7712805f93989993@Adfree.usenet.com. ..
    > In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    >> and her school-mates were using my proxy, to
    >> circumvent the school filters,

    > See, you support unethical activity, you help people circumvent rules
    > put in place to protect the networks and resources. You are unethical.

    To tune in, as their school-mate was competing at this skating
    event, to me, shows school spirit, and is NOT unethical.

  20. Re: Wedding Planning Sites - NOT unethical

    In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    > She told me that her parents
    > did not agree with some parts of the Internet usage policy, so
    > they set up an encrypted link on the parents broadband link at
    > home. When she went to surf the Net, she would make an
    > encrypted connection to her parents computer, and then
    > surf the net from there. There is no POSSIBLE way the
    > admins at Bob Jones University could EVER figure out
    > what she was up to.

    Yes, there is a clear indicator that she was setup with an Encrypted
    link to a residential site - as long as the policy does not permit such
    links she could have her internet connection suspended.

    If she was found to have surfed, by means of inspecting her computer for
    some reason, she could also have her connection suspended.

    It doesn't matter if the can see INSIDE the tunnel, it's only that a
    tunnel is setup between two sites - and that tunnel is easy to see. Any
    admin could easily spot that and then question it.