The IPS feature does slow it down. Of course the more you do with the
packets, the slower it will get. I'd still recommend the ASA with the
SSM though. For the 5510, here is the specs:

Feature

Firewall throughput Up to 300 Mbps

Concurrent threat mitigation throughput (firewall + IPS services)
=95 Up to 150 Mbps with AIP-SSM-10
=95 Up to 300 Mbps with AIP-SSM-20

VPN throughput Up to 170 Mbps

(see: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/..._sheet0900aec=
d802930c5.html)

If 150 Mbps is okay, go with the SSM-10. Otherwise, the SSM 20 hardly
slows it down.

I think the ASA is a huge leap from the PIX and would suggest the ASA
over the PIX.

On 12/4/07, John G. wrote:
> hello list,
>
> we are currently running Cisco PIX 515E's with 128 Megs of RAM. the prob=

lem