in realtion to this article, p2p apps (eg. emule) can and are blocked
(within reason!) using deep packet inspection and l7 approaches.

in using iptbales, the ipp2p plugin called http://www.ipp2p.org/ can be
used.

Marcus J. Ranum wrote:
> George Capehart wrote:
>> Some light reading for the weekend . . . Thought it'd stir the pot a
>> bit more for the "Firewalls that generate new packets . . ." thread. ;>
>>
>> http://www.darkreading.com/document....f_src=drweekly

> George, since when does "stirring the pot" consist of kicking a tiger
> in the b*lls?? Because that was my immediate reaction on reading
> that article!!! I started prowling my cage looking for something to
> chomp!
>
> "Next Generation firewalls"? Gosh, oh, golly - it sounds like what
> they're calling "Next Generation firewalls" are kinda sorta like
> "what firewalls were supposed to do all along."
>
> I notice that Nir Zuk is a primary source for this article, as well.
> It sounds like some P.R. agency has done a good job pimping*
> a certain start-up that is getting ready to "ramp"** a product.
> I have no idea if the product is any good or not but using a
> network processor to do layer-7 stuff is not exactly rocket
> science!
>
> I think Kelly Higgins is interviewing me next week. I'll make sure to
> drag this article up as a topic.
>
> mjr.
> --
> * not a marketing buzz word
> ** a token marketing buzzword

- --
William M. Fitzgerald,
PhD Student,
Telecommunications Software & Systems Group,
ArcLabs Research and Innovation Centre,
Waterford Institute of Technology,
WIT West Campus,
Carriganore,