I agree. As a practical matter I do take outgoing and inbound proxies
as "security devices" and usually insist that its managed by the same
group that manages the firewalls. I would add to your comments that
an outgoing proxy (such as squid or bluecoat) allows you to eliminate
the dreaded "completely open outbound default" rule found on many
corporate firewalls and allows a higher degree of auditing. Both
security minded purposes.

But the arguments over what is and what is not a security device is a
pet peeve of mind. Its waaay past time we stop thinking what is and
what is not a "security device" and think how we configure and manage
each piece in the environment with security in mind. The firewall,
the server, the router, the load balancer, the OS, the application
code, processes, and, heck, even the switch and the wiring. The
"firewall" is becoming less and less important (and useful) as a tool
in the grand scheme of things.

t.s