Well, i can. Fix HTML to be valid XHTML which is basically valid XML
as well. Apply XML-based filtering policy then (you need pretty complicated
one that probably goes beyond the abilities of current XML proxies, as
things like ajax and javascript in general need special handling, but
we already do have some of those in current http firewalls) and you
get it. At least it is the way we are going to do if somebody will
sponsor it as it is a bit too big for a free time hobbyst project :-)

For your "war story", i guess IDS/IPS relied on signature analysis
and no one looked if there are suscpicious persistent https tunnels
or unusual dns traffic? Well, some bad guys may live without that
but they are really really rarely *that* smart ;-)