Help with uninstalled Norton? - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Help with uninstalled Norton? - Firewalls ; My brother has a new laptop which came with Norton security ready to install but he never completed the installation. It has XP Pro and when he tries to share files, the laptop cannot see his other computers (pinging succeeds ...

  1. Help with uninstalled Norton?

    My brother has a new laptop which came with
    Norton security ready to install but he
    never completed the installation. It has
    XP Pro and when he tries to share files,
    the laptop cannot see his other computers
    (pinging succeeds but they don't show up
    in network places).
    When I go to the "Security Center" in his
    control panel, it says that the "Firewall
    is ON" but when I Check the Windows Fire-
    wall settings, it is turned off.

    I went into services and turned off every-
    thing associated with Norton (which shouldn't
    be there uness it partially installed, should
    it?) but the security center still shows the
    Firewall as "on".

    Is there some way to shut down Norton's
    Firewall without having to install it first?

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Rick

  2. Re: Help with uninstalled Norton?

    In news:Xns99F65D3C1DC73tcpipnewbie@127.0.0.1,
    tcp-ip_newbie@noemail.invalid decided to say:
    > My brother has a new laptop which came with
    > Norton security ready to install but he
    > never completed the installation. It has
    > XP Pro and when he tries to share files,
    > the laptop cannot see his other computers
    > (pinging succeeds but they don't show up
    > in network places).
    > When I go to the "Security Center" in his
    > control panel, it says that the "Firewall
    > is ON" but when I Check the Windows Fire-
    > wall settings, it is turned off.
    >
    > I went into services and turned off every-
    > thing associated with Norton (which shouldn't
    > be there uness it partially installed, should
    > it?) but the security center still shows the
    > Firewall as "on".
    >
    > Is there some way to shut down Norton's
    > Firewall without having to install it first?
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Rick

    I would uninstall using their software: