Firefox - Spyware - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Firefox - Spyware - Firewalls ; If using Firefox, a reasonable hardware firewall and good anti-virus, any substantial advantage to using Adaware or one of the other anti-spyware software? Still checking into and not fully aware of all of the capabilities of Firefox, but it seems ...

  1. Firefox - Spyware

    If using Firefox, a reasonable hardware firewall and good anti-virus,
    any substantial advantage to using Adaware or one of the other
    anti-spyware software? Still checking into and not fully aware of all
    of the capabilities of Firefox, but it seems that it and the existing
    firewall/AV could pretty much do the trick as far as critical
    requirements. Wondering whether I'm missing something in this.

    Appreciate all suggestions on this. thanks
    --

    Monroe

  2. Re: Firefox - Spyware

    "Monroe" wrote in message
    > If using Firefox, a reasonable hardware firewall and good anti-virus,
    > any substantial advantage to using Adaware or one of the other
    > anti-spyware software? Still checking into and not fully aware of all
    > of the capabilities of Firefox, but it seems that it and the existing
    > firewall/AV could pretty much do the trick as far as critical
    > requirements. Wondering whether I'm missing something in this.

    Do the trick to do what? It's based on you and what you're doing to put the
    computer at risk. After all, you're the one sitting behind the mouse doing
    the pointing and clicking, and you are at the keyboard doing the typing.

    It's like you are saying "I have a radiation suite on, but I am standing
    inside a Nuclear Reactor."

    The key to at all is practicing safe hex, hardening the O/S as much ass
    possible to attack. Its not the Superman costume sitting in the closet (the
    prevention software).

    http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html
    http://labmice.techtarget.com/articl...ychecklist.htm

  3. Re: Firefox - Spyware

    On Nov 25, 2:21 am, Monroe wrote:
    > If using Firefox, a reasonable hardware firewall and good anti-virus,
    > any substantial advantage to using Adaware or one of the other
    > anti-spyware software? Still checking into and not fully aware of all
    > of the capabilities of Firefox, but it seems that it and the existing
    > firewall/AV could pretty much do the trick as far as critical
    > requirements. Wondering whether I'm missing something in this.

    Yes. The only trick is "you". No browser, no software firewall, no
    antivirus, no anti-spyware, no adaware, no hardware firewall, nothing
    will effectively prevent you from running malware in the end.

    It is mostly what you do what decides whether or not your computer
    gets infected or not. Just like: If you frequently dive into the junk
    yard you'll get dirty. Nothing will prevent that.

    Thus the really "critical requirement" is that you think about what
    you are doing. That makes the real difference.

    Gerald

  4. Re: Firefox - Spyware

    > If using Firefox, a reasonable hardware firewall and good anti-virus,
    > any substantial advantage to using Adaware or one of the other
    > anti-spyware software? Still checking into and not fully aware of all
    > of the capabilities of Firefox, but it seems that it and the existing
    > firewall/AV could pretty much do the trick as far as critical
    > requirements. Wondering whether I'm missing something in this.
    >
    > Appreciate all suggestions on this. thanks

    I would absolutely run AS with real-time scanning enabled. There are also
    behavior based malware blockers that provide another layer of security
    against "zero day exploits", such as Threatfire and DSA. But as others have
    already said Safe Hex is essential. Security software only supports Safe
    Hex.

  5. Re: Firefox - Spyware

    Victek wrote:

    > I would absolutely run AS with real-time scanning enabled. There are also
    > behavior based malware blockers that provide another layer of security
    > against "zero day exploits", such as Threatfire and DSA. But as others have
    > already said Safe Hex is essential. Security software only supports Safe
    > Hex.

    *Good* security software supports Safe Hex, bad security software (as all
    "Anti-spyware" software is) rather breaks it. In fact, even most of the more
    renoble security software typically makes the system more insecure.

    Generally, adding more software only increases complexity, which is the
    major counter player of security. Therefore, the general advice is to remove
    as much software as possible, not adding new one.

    As for the real-time scanning and behaviour blocking, it fails blatantly in
    the real world.

  6. Re: Firefox - Spyware

    Monroe wrote:
    > If using Firefox, a reasonable hardware firewall and good anti-virus,
    > any substantial advantage to using Adaware or one of the other
    > anti-spyware software? Still checking into and not fully aware of all
    > of the capabilities of Firefox, but it seems that it and the existing
    > firewall/AV could pretty much do the trick as far as critical
    > requirements. Wondering whether I'm missing something in this.
    >
    > Appreciate all suggestions on this. thanks
    > --
    >
    > Monroe

    Although it certainly isn't any guarantee, and you will
    still be vulnerable just like we all are, you might run
    NoScript in Firefox - I believe it does improve safety and
    it certainly makes the web a quieter place to live and
    browse without constant visual assault.

    One note - sometimes NoScript gets in the way - an
    occasional site wont run right. You can just turn it off
    completely and remember to turn it on as soon as you are
    done with that particular site.

    Another solution I've found equally good is to run NoScript
    and if I'm having trouble, use the add-on called Launchy and
    run the same page in Opera - that almost always works.

    Louise

    Louise

+ Reply to Thread