Re: Cyber Monday - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Re: Cyber Monday - Firewalls ; slackerama wrote: > > That's precisely the reason I do all my surfing through an ssh tunnel to > my home server running a squid proxy, bypassing the corporate monitoring > completely. My company has monitoring software on each work ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

  1. Re: Cyber Monday

    slackerama wrote:

    > That's precisely the reason I do all my surfing through an ssh tunnel to
    > my home server running a squid proxy, bypassing the corporate monitoring
    > completely.

    My company has monitoring software on each work station which includes
    keyloggers and periodic screen captures. They will see that at some
    point you went to kohls.com or target.com and searched for bath robes.

    But, I'm sure your average small company doesn't dig down that far...
    probably not large companies either, unless you're REALLY slacking at
    work!

  2. Re: Cyber Monday

    > My company has monitoring software on each work station which includes
    > keyloggers and periodic screen captures. They will see that at some
    > point you went to kohls.com or target.com and searched for bath robes.
    >
    > But, I'm sure your average small company doesn't dig down that far...
    > probably not large companies either, unless you're REALLY slacking at
    > work!

    LOL, well you'll soon realize that monitoring software or not,
    companies have neither the time or the resources to devote to watching
    employee surfing habits. They put up a proxy to block inappropriate
    sites (easily bypassed if you know what you're doing) and leave it at
    that...

  3. Re: Cyber Monday

    > My company has monitoring software on each work station which includes
    > keyloggers and periodic screen captures. They will see that at some
    > point you went to kohls.com or target.com and searched for bath robes.
    >
    > But, I'm sure your average small company doesn't dig down that far...
    > probably not large companies either, unless you're REALLY slacking at
    > work!

    LOL, well you'll soon realize that monitoring software or not,
    companies have neither the time or the resources to devote to watching
    employee surfing habits. They put up a proxy to block inappropriate
    sites (easily bypassed if you know what you're doing) and leave it at
    that...

  4. Re: Cyber Monday

    > My company has monitoring software on each work station which includes
    > keyloggers and periodic screen captures. They will see that at some
    > point you went to kohls.com or target.com and searched for bath robes.
    >
    > But, I'm sure your average small company doesn't dig down that far...
    > probably not large companies either, unless you're REALLY slacking at
    > work!

    LOL, well you'll soon realize that monitoring software or not,
    companies have neither the time or the resources to devote to watching
    employee surfing habits. They put up a proxy to block inappropriate
    sites (easily bypassed if you know what you're doing) and leave it at
    that...

  5. Re: Cyber Monday

    > My company has monitoring software on each work station which includes
    > keyloggers and periodic screen captures. They will see that at some
    > point you went to kohls.com or target.com and searched for bath robes.
    >
    > But, I'm sure your average small company doesn't dig down that far...
    > probably not large companies either, unless you're REALLY slacking at
    > work!

    LOL, well you'll soon realize that monitoring software or not,
    companies have neither the time or the resources to devote to watching
    employee surfing habits. They put up a proxy to block inappropriate
    sites (easily bypassed if you know what you're doing) and leave it at
    that...

  6. Re: Cyber Monday

    > My company has monitoring software on each work station which includes
    > keyloggers and periodic screen captures. They will see that at some
    > point you went to kohls.com or target.com and searched for bath robes.
    >
    > But, I'm sure your average small company doesn't dig down that far...
    > probably not large companies either, unless you're REALLY slacking at
    > work!

    LOL, well you'll soon realize that monitoring software or not,
    companies have neither the time or the resources to devote to watching
    employee surfing habits. They put up a proxy to block inappropriate
    sites (easily bypassed if you know what you're doing) and leave it at
    that...

  7. Re: Cyber Monday

    > My company has monitoring software on each work station which includes
    > keyloggers and periodic screen captures. They will see that at some
    > point you went to kohls.com or target.com and searched for bath robes.
    >
    > But, I'm sure your average small company doesn't dig down that far...
    > probably not large companies either, unless you're REALLY slacking at
    > work!

    LOL, well you'll soon realize that monitoring software or not,
    companies have neither the time or the resources to devote to watching
    employee surfing habits. They put up a proxy to block inappropriate
    sites (easily bypassed if you know what you're doing) and leave it at
    that...

  8. Re: Cyber Monday

    > My company has monitoring software on each work station which includes
    > keyloggers and periodic screen captures. They will see that at some
    > point you went to kohls.com or target.com and searched for bath robes.
    >
    > But, I'm sure your average small company doesn't dig down that far...
    > probably not large companies either, unless you're REALLY slacking at
    > work!

    LOL, well you'll soon realize that monitoring software or not,
    companies have neither the time or the resources to devote to watching
    employee surfing habits. They put up a proxy to block inappropriate
    sites (easily bypassed if you know what you're doing) and leave it at
    that...

  9. Re: Cyber Monday

    "slackerama" wrote in message

    > LOL, well you'll soon realize that monitoring software or not,
    > companies have neither the time or the resources to devote to watching
    > employee surfing habits. They put up a proxy to block inappropriate
    > sites (easily bypassed if you know what you're doing) and leave it at
    > that...

    That is why people like me run public anonymity proxues, so that
    people can bypass the company filtering proxy. And it is just a
    matter of changing a few proxy settings to get the proxy to
    work.

    And I did see a lot of hits today on my proxy as people logged
    in to shopping services, from work, through my proxy, so that
    they could do their online shopping and the boss will NEVER
    know what they were up to. The boss would know that somoene
    went to my proxy, but where they went beyond that, there is no
    POSSIBLE way they coiuld find out.

  10. Re: Cyber Monday

    In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...

    > > LOL, well you'll soon realize that monitoring software or not,
    > > companies have neither the time or the resources to devote to watching
    > > employee surfing habits. They put up a proxy to block inappropriate
    > > sites (easily bypassed if you know what you're doing) and leave it at
    > > that...

    > That is why people like me run public anonymity proxues, so that
    > people can bypass the company filtering proxy. And it is just a
    > matter of changing a few proxy settings to get the proxy to
    > work.

    And yet it doesn't work like you claim - we have blocked 100% of
    unapproved sites from our clients network using a simple concept - no
    internet access to ANY site unless it is white-listed.

    Your proxy servers are useless in this manner and any firewall permits
    this.

    --

    Leythos
    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

  11. Re: Cyber Monday

    Chilly8 wrote:

    > That is why people like me run public anonymity proxues, so that
    > people can bypass the company filtering proxy. And it is just a
    > matter of changing a few proxy settings to get the proxy to
    > work.

    Please lookup the keyword "transparent proxy" in your tech manual. Please
    read and understand.

    Oh, and by the way, maybe you should lookup a typical company's IT usage
    agreement. Something about "not circumventing technical installations" and
    "you'll get fired it"...

    > And I did see a lot of hits today on my proxy as people logged
    > in to shopping services, from work, through my proxy, so that
    > they could do their online shopping and the boss will NEVER
    > know what they were up to. The boss would know that somoene
    > went to my proxy, but where they went beyond that, there is no
    > POSSIBLE way they coiuld find out.

    And now, after you looked up "transparent proxy", you should also lookup
    "man-in-the-middle" and "root certificate installation".

  12. Re: Cyber Monday

    "Sebastian G." wrote in message
    > Chilly8 wrote:
    >

    >> That is why people like me run public anonymity proxues, so that
    >> people can bypass the company filtering proxy. And it is just a
    >> matter of changing a few proxy settings to get the proxy to
    >> work.

    > Please lookup the keyword "transparent proxy" in your tech manual. Please
    > read and understand.

    My proxy is an entry node onto the Tor network, so its pretty well
    anonymous. The boss would knwo that a person connected to my
    proxy, but would know where a worker went beyond that. Being
    that its a Tor entry proxy, it provides a good level of anonymity.

    > Oh, and by the way, maybe you should lookup a typical company's IT usage
    > agreement. Something about "not circumventing technical installations" and
    > "you'll get fired it"...

    That would depend on HOW its done. I have been trying to get
    phpProxy to work on my server, but there is some strange error
    that I cannot figure out how to fix. Since they would go directly
    to my web site, and surf from there, it would NOT be considered
    "circumventing technical isntallation", so NO CHANGES would be
    needed to the browser settings, which is why those kinds of proxues
    are outstripping all others in usgge. If the filter FAILS to block access
    to my web site, this is is LEGAL for a worker to use it, contrary to
    what a couple of others say. As long as you do not BREAK
    any PASSWORDS to do it, then it cannot be considered
    "circumventing technical installations".

  13. Re: Cyber Monday

    "Leythos" wrote in message
    news:MPG.21b54c4bef68c763989859@Adfree.usenet.com. ..
    > In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    >> >
    >> > LOL, well you'll soon realize that monitoring software or not,
    >> > companies have neither the time or the resources to devote to watching
    >> > employee surfing habits. They put up a proxy to block inappropriate
    >> > sites (easily bypassed if you know what you're doing) and leave it at
    >> > that...

    >> That is why people like me run public anonymity proxues, so that
    >> people can bypass the company filtering proxy. And it is just a
    >> matter of changing a few proxy settings to get the proxy to
    >> work.

    > And yet it doesn't work like you claim - we have blocked 100% of
    > unapproved sites from our clients network using a simple concept - no
    > internet access to ANY site unless it is white-listed.
    >
    > Your proxy servers are useless in this manner and any firewall permits
    > this.

    Some people have wondered why they cannot see any posts from
    Leythos. I have found out that SuperNews blocks his posts for
    some reason. I have to use an anonymous posting service,
    news.aioe.org, to read hits posts. In the oppoosite, news.aioe.org
    blocks posts from RyanP, but I can read those on SuperNews.

  14. Re: Cyber Monday

    "Leythos" wrote in message
    news:MPG.21b54c4bef68c763989859@Adfree.usenet.com. ..
    > In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    >> >
    >> > LOL, well you'll soon realize that monitoring software or not,
    >> > companies have neither the time or the resources to devote to watching
    >> > employee surfing habits. They put up a proxy to block inappropriate
    >> > sites (easily bypassed if you know what you're doing) and leave it at
    >> > that...

    >> That is why people like me run public anonymity proxues, so that
    >> people can bypass the company filtering proxy. And it is just a
    >> matter of changing a few proxy settings to get the proxy to
    >> work.

    > And yet it doesn't work like you claim - we have blocked 100% of
    > unapproved sites from our clients network using a simple concept - no
    > internet access to ANY site unless it is white-listed.

    One ONE product made can do that, and it is very expensive.
    CyBlock will do this, for $799 per year per 10 users, so that
    would add up in a hurry. Solutions for white-listing are far
    more expensive that what some companies would want to pay.

  15. Re: Cyber Monday

    Chilly8 wrote:

    >Some people have wondered why they cannot see any posts from

    Leythos. I have found out that SuperNews blocks his posts for
    some reason. I have to use an anonymous posting service,
    news.aioe.org, to read hits posts. In the oppoosite, news.aioe.org
    blocks posts from RyanP, but I can read those on SuperNews.

    That's odd. I post through my normal Roadrunner usenet server.

  16. Re: Cyber Monday

    In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    > My proxy is an entry node onto the Tor network, so its pretty well
    > anonymous. The boss would knwo that a person connected to my
    > proxy, but would know where a worker went beyond that. Being
    > that its a Tor entry proxy, it provides a good level of anonymity.

    And it would stick out like a sore thumb in the monitoring and logs....

    --

    Leythos
    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

  17. Re: Cyber Monday

    In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...

    > "Leythos" wrote in message
    > news:MPG.21b54c4bef68c763989859@Adfree.usenet.com. ..
    > > In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...

    > >> That is why people like me run public anonymity proxues, so that
    > >> people can bypass the company filtering proxy. And it is just a
    > >> matter of changing a few proxy settings to get the proxy to
    > >> work.

    > > And yet it doesn't work like you claim - we have blocked 100% of
    > > unapproved sites from our clients network using a simple concept - no
    > > internet access to ANY site unless it is white-listed.

    > One ONE product made can do that, and it is very expensive.
    > CyBlock will do this, for $799 per year per 10 users, so that
    > would add up in a hurry. Solutions for white-listing are far
    > more expensive that what some companies would want to pay.

    No, every firewall on the market can do that, at least every quality
    firewall on the market, and there is no subscription for it - it's part
    of the native firewall function.

    White listing in firewalls, as well as black listing, are a basic
    function.

    --

    Leythos
    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

  18. Re: Cyber Monday

    Chilly8 wrote, On 27/11/07 04:13:

    > "Leythos" wrote in message
    > news:MPG.21b54c4bef68c763989859@Adfree.usenet.com. ..
    >> In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    >>> That is why people like me run public anonymity proxues, so that
    >>> people can bypass the company filtering proxy. And it is just a
    >>> matter of changing a few proxy settings to get the proxy to
    >>> work.

    >> And yet it doesn't work like you claim - we have blocked 100% of
    >> unapproved sites from our clients network using a simple concept - no
    >> internet access to ANY site unless it is white-listed.

    > One ONE product made can do that, and it is very expensive.
    > CyBlock will do this, for $799 per year per 10 users, so that
    > would add up in a hurry. Solutions for white-listing are far
    > more expensive that what some companies would want to pay.

    The approx 100UKP router I have can block proxies and any web site not
    white listed (it does not allow many white-list entries). I'm sure that
    the slightly more expensive firewalls companies tend to use can do an
    even better job of it.
    --
    Flash Gordon

  19. Re: Cyber Monday

    In article , spam@flash-
    gordon.me.uk says...
    > Chilly8 wrote, On 27/11/07 04:13:
    > >
    > > "Leythos" wrote in message
    > > news:MPG.21b54c4bef68c763989859@Adfree.usenet.com. ..
    > >> In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    > >> And yet it doesn't work like you claim - we have blocked 100% of
    > >> unapproved sites from our clients network using a simple concept - no
    > >> internet access to ANY site unless it is white-listed.

    > > One ONE product made can do that, and it is very expensive.
    > > CyBlock will do this, for $799 per year per 10 users, so that
    > > would add up in a hurry. Solutions for white-listing are far
    > > more expensive that what some companies would want to pay.

    > The approx 100UKP router I have can block proxies and any web site not
    > white listed (it does not allow many white-list entries). I'm sure that
    > the slightly more expensive firewalls companies tend to use can do an
    > even better job of it.

    Yep, I can do it in a $1500 firewall, since we're talking about
    businesses, and we already do it - simple, effective, easy.

    The thing that people need to start understanding is that Web Access is
    not a "Right" anywhere in the world, you don't need to give employees
    access to the internet unless it is a business related function.

    --

    Leythos
    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

  20. Re: Cyber Monday

    "Leythos" wrote in message
    news:MPG.21b5ce1386e57f4e98985a@Adfree.usenet.com. ..
    > In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    >> My proxy is an entry node onto the Tor network, so its pretty well
    >> anonymous. The boss would knwo that a person connected to my
    >> proxy, but would know where a worker went beyond that. Being
    >> that its a Tor entry proxy, it provides a good level of anonymity.

    > And it would stick out like a sore thumb in the monitoring and logs....

    However, it would not be known where someone went beyond
    my Tor entry proxy, or even my phpProxy (if I ever get the problem
    with it fixed). I had an incredible peak load on my Tor proxy, during
    Cyber Monday, as I thought I would, and the total number of hits
    to my proxy nobody would ever believe. But I can say that I had hits
    from THOUSANDS of corporate network addresses during
    Cyber Monday, as online shoppers logged on from work, through
    my proxy, to do their online holiday shopping. I am sure I more
    than did my part to contribute to the holiday economy yesterday,
    given the total number of hits to my proxy thorugh the day, allowing
    people to bypass the company firewall and do thier online holiday
    shopping.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast