Re: Cyber Monday - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Re: Cyber Monday - Firewalls ; * Chilly8 : > However, it would not be known where someone went beyond > my Tor entry proxy, or even my phpProxy (if I ever get the problem > with it fixed). I had an incredible peak load on ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 29 of 29

  1. Re: Cyber Monday

    * Chilly8 :
    > However, it would not be known where someone went beyond
    > my Tor entry proxy, or even my phpProxy (if I ever get the problem
    > with it fixed). I had an incredible peak load on my Tor proxy, during
    > Cyber Monday, as I thought I would, and the total number of hits
    > to my proxy nobody would ever believe. But I can say that I had hits
    > from THOUSANDS of corporate network addresses during
    > Cyber Monday, as online shoppers logged on from work, through
    > my proxy, to do their online holiday shopping. I am sure I more
    > than did my part to contribute to the holiday economy yesterday,
    > given the total number of hits to my proxy thorugh the day, allowing
    > people to bypass the company firewall and do thier online holiday
    > shopping.

    Doesn't matter that we couldn't see where the connection went after
    hitting your proxy, all we need to see is the connection to the proxy.
    Assuming of course we were lazy enough to allow the connection in the
    first place.

    Jason

  2. Re: Cyber Monday

    In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    > "Leythos" wrote in message
    > news:MPG.21b5ce1386e57f4e98985a@Adfree.usenet.com. ..
    > > In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    > >> My proxy is an entry node onto the Tor network, so its pretty well
    > >> anonymous. The boss would knwo that a person connected to my
    > >> proxy, but would know where a worker went beyond that. Being
    > >> that its a Tor entry proxy, it provides a good level of anonymity.

    > > And it would stick out like a sore thumb in the monitoring and logs....

    > However, it would not be known where someone went beyond
    > my

    It doesn't matter if they know what it being connected to, only that it
    is not BUSINESS APPROVED - and that's as simple as it gets.

    --

    Leythos
    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

  3. Re: Cyber Monday

    Sebastian G. wrote:

    > Please lookup the keyword "transparent proxy" in your tech manual.
    > Please read and understand.

    transparent proxies are useful against the general corporate
    population, but get someone knowledgeable with ssh and transparent
    proxies become a joke...aka 'useless'

  4. Re: Cyber Monday

    "slackerama" wrote in message
    > Sebastian G. wrote:
    >>
    >> Please lookup the keyword "transparent proxy" in your tech manual. Please
    >> read and understand.

    > transparent proxies are useful against the general corporate population,
    > but get someone knowledgeable with ssh and transparent proxies become a
    > joke...aka 'useless'

    You got that right. People like Leythos and Sebastian do not understand that
    ssh tunnels, or even "elite" level proxing make transparent proxies
    useless. The way Tor works, transparent proxies would
    indeed be useless. If you can get any Tor entry node, like
    mine, and you have effectively neutered any transparent proxies.

  5. Re: Cyber Monday

    "Leythos" wrote in message
    news:MPG.21b6628a2100a473989861@Adfree.usenet.com. ..
    > In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    >> "Leythos" wrote in message
    >> news:MPG.21b5ce1386e57f4e98985a@Adfree.usenet.com. ..
    >> > In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    >> >
    >> > And it would stick out like a sore thumb in the monitoring and logs....

    >> However, it would not be known where someone went beyond
    >> my

    > It doesn't matter if they know what it being connected to, only that it
    > is not BUSINESS APPROVED - and that's as simple as it gets.

    During cyber-monday, I had over 14,000 total hits to my proxy
    through the day, nearly all of them coming from corporate network
    IPs all over the United States of America, and almost all of them
    going to every kind of shopping website imagaineable. And for
    each of the those 14,000-plus employees, the boss will NEVER know
    what they are up to, becuase I run an "elite" proxy, effectively
    making corporate transparent proxies USELESS in finding out
    where they final destination was.

    I set up the proxy that so people could circumvent the company
    firewall to listen to Live 365. Not all proxies work with Live 365
    web player, but mine does. As I write this, I have several people
    coming into my proxy from workplaces in Australia, listening to
    my Live 365 station, through my proxy. My listenership always
    goes up from October 31 through Deccember 25, when I add
    Christmas music to the mix. All one needs to do is download
    and install Winamp on their work PC, sign on to Live 365
    and change their listening preferences to launch the station via
    Winamp, change the proxy settings in Winamp to use my proxy,
    and they will be listening to my station, on Winamp, via my proxy,
    and in short order. The recent changes to Nanocaster, on Live 365,
    no longer allows Windows Media Player as a third-party player,
    but you can still have the site launch Winamp and commence the
    stream that way, and it will work through my proxy. Its just
    matter of changing proxy settings in both Winamp, and in
    either Internet Explorer or Firefox, and you are good to go.

  6. Re: Cyber Monday

    In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    > I run an "elite" proxy, effectively
    > making corporate transparent proxies USELESS in finding out
    > where they final destination was.
    >
    > I set up the proxy that so people could circumvent the company
    > firewall to listen to Live 365.

    And the simple truth is that if they can't connect, because of a simple
    firewall rule, that you won't be providing anything to them.

    As said before, you don't understand SIMPLE FIREWALL methods or
    concepts, you just don't understand anything about networking.

    All quality firewall appliances allow for restrictions simple enough to
    prevent your service from being reached while still allowing approved
    company/business websites to be accessed without ANY chance of the users
    reaching a proxy.

    --

    Leythos
    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

  7. Re: Cyber Monday

    "Leythos" wrote in message
    news:MPG.21b6bdaf29c800ed989866@adfree.Usenet.com. ..
    > In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    >> I run an "elite" proxy, effectively
    >> making corporate transparent proxies USELESS in finding out
    >> where they final destination was.
    >>
    >> I set up the proxy that so people could circumvent the company
    >> firewall to listen to Live 365.

    > And the simple truth is that if they can't connect, because of a simple
    > firewall rule, that you won't be providing anything to them.
    >
    > As said before, you don't understand SIMPLE FIREWALL methods or
    > concepts, you just don't understand anything about networking.
    >
    > All quality firewall appliances allow for restrictions simple enough to
    > prevent your service from being reached while still allowing approved
    > company/business websites to be accessed without ANY chance of the users
    > reaching a proxy.

    Well, 14,000 users using my proxy, on Monday, to access shopping sites from
    work, can't be wrong. It proves the old saying "where there is a will, there
    is a
    way".

    In fact, Live 365 just updated their Nanocaster broadcast software to make
    their service harder to block, by using port 80 as a last resort if the
    normal
    ports (20000-24000) are blocked. Port 80 makes blocking it that much
    trickier, without resorting to pricey filtering software, of the more
    expensive
    filteirng appliance. Basically, it forces businesses to spend more now to
    block Live 365.

  8. Re: Cyber Monday

    In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    > Well, 14,000 users using my proxy, on Monday, to access shopping sites from
    > work, can't be wrong. It proves the old saying "where there is a will, there
    > is a
    > way".

    No, it proves that many companies don't believe in blocking first and
    only business necessary sites/access second.

    The default rule in firewalling is Block everything, then permit only
    what is needed. Many of the newer admin types and many smaller business
    owners will go with the Allow everything and block only what they
    believe is a threat - just the opposite of how it should be.

    So, what you're seeing is the users behind weak security solutions - you
    are NOT seeing users from behind properly secured networks.

    Again, you clearly show that you don't understand networking, firewalls,
    security, how things actually work.

    --

    Leythos
    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

  9. Re: Cyber Monday

    "Leythos" wrote in message
    news:MPG.21b71f7dd2924928989868@adfree.Usenet.com. ..
    > In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    >> Well, 14,000 users using my proxy, on Monday, to access shopping sites
    >> from
    >> work, can't be wrong. It proves the old saying "where there is a will,
    >> there
    >> is a
    >> way".

    > No, it proves that many companies don't believe in blocking first and
    > only business necessary sites/access second.
    >
    > The default rule in firewalling is Block everything, then permit only
    > what is needed. Many of the newer admin types and many smaller business
    > owners will go with the Allow everything and block only what they
    > believe is a threat - just the opposite of how it should be.

    At one figure skating event we are broadcasting, when the Cumpulsory
    Dance fell during the working hours in Europe, on Thursday, there
    were a large number of connections coming from corporate IPs
    in Europe. Ice Dance is far more popular in Europe, than in the
    Americas (which is why European nations usually win all the
    medals), so I do see a lot of connections to my station from
    Europe whenever ice dancing is own. And with yet another
    possible judging scandal develeoping among Russian judges, it
    it keeping more people glued to ice dancing broadcasts. I do
    expect that in the Grand Prix Final, this will drive up traffic
    to coverage of the event, when the ice dancing is going on,
    as people will want to see what happens between Belbin/Agosto
    and Dominina/Shabalin. In fact, the ice dance on Friday,
    14th December will fall during the working hours in America,
    so I expect to see a lot of hits from coporate IPs in the U.S.
    starting at around 12:30 PM Eastern Standard Time that
    day. The talk in the various figure skating boards about
    another possible Russian judging scandal, in the ice dancing
    event, is already driving up traffic to sites where skating coverage
    is available. The fact that one very controversial Russian judge
    will be on the dance judging panel, in Torino, is going to drive
    the traffic up, considerably, to coverage of that part of the Grand
    Prix Final.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2