CISCO PIX 501 and DHCP on outside port - Firewalls

This is a discussion on CISCO PIX 501 and DHCP on outside port - Firewalls ; Hello, I have an interesting problem I would like to solve and I hope someone her can assist me. I have a CISCO PIX 501 firewall unit. This particular unit supports giving out DHCP leases on its outside (public) port. ...

  1. CISCO PIX 501 and DHCP on outside port

    Hello,

    I have an interesting problem I would like to solve and I hope someone
    her can assist me.

    I have a CISCO PIX 501 firewall unit. This particular unit supports
    giving out DHCP leases on its outside (public) port.

    I connected a worksation to the outside subnet and was able to recive
    a public ip address that I defined on the PIX. The problem I ma
    encountering is that I cannot specify a gateway - it only provides the
    ip of the PIX for the gateway.

    Does anyone know how I can get the correct (different gateway, not the
    PIX as a gateway) ip address assigned ?

    Thanks,

    Mark

    budman@generation.net

  2. Re: CISCO PIX 501 and DHCP on outside port

    "buddd" ha scritto nel messaggio
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have an interesting problem I would like to solve and I hope someone
    > her can assist me.
    >
    > I have a CISCO PIX 501 firewall unit. This particular unit supports
    > giving out DHCP leases on its outside (public) port.
    >
    > I connected a worksation to the outside subnet and was able to recive
    > a public ip address that I defined on the PIX. The problem I ma
    > encountering is that I cannot specify a gateway - it only provides the
    > ip of the PIX for the gateway.
    >
    > Does anyone know how I can get the correct (different gateway, not the
    > PIX as a gateway) ip address assigned ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Mark
    >
    > budman@generation.net

    Hi,

    As far as I know (pretty little and outdated information about PIXes) there
    is no way to assign a different gateway (sounds logical since if you were to
    assign a different gateway for the hosts they would not get "firewalled")

    You can always proxy the DHCP requests to another DHCP Server.

    Regards,
    Gabriele

+ Reply to Thread