Well, what do you actually mean?
There are plenty of ways to alter packets. Any routing device does, and
a firewall generally does even more. A firewall may also:

Terminate and initiate VPN connections, extracting packet from encapsulation
envelopes

Change header, sripping or altering some data, doing, say, tcp resequencing

Change data portion

Terminate and initiate whole connection on clients behalf (like proxy firewalls do)

Something else that did not come to my mind yet