Installing a firewall on home network - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Installing a firewall on home network - Firewalls ; I need to install a firewall on my grandmother's computer which is networked. Is there anything special I might need to do since the computer is networked? I figure I'll have to allow the IP addresses of the network (or ...

  1. Installing a firewall on home network

    I need to install a firewall on my grandmother's computer which is
    networked. Is there anything special I might need to do since the
    computer is networked? I figure I'll have to allow the IP addresses of
    the network (or whatever). I know nothing about networks.

    I haven't decided on a firewall for her. I'm thinking about Outpost
    free firewall or Kerio/Sunbelt free firewall. I'm not sure if this
    will be installed on the main computer or one of the other ones.

    I read somewhere that the Outpost free firewall isn't suitable for a
    networked computer. Is that true? Is there a free firewall that will
    work on a networked computer?

  2. Re: Installing a firewall on home network

    In article <1195022529.676425.20290@50g2000hsm.googlegroups.co m>,
    littleboyblu87@yahoo.com says...
    > I need to install a firewall on my grandmother's computer which is
    > networked. Is there anything special I might need to do since the
    > computer is networked? I figure I'll have to allow the IP addresses of
    > the network (or whatever). I know nothing about networks.
    >
    > I haven't decided on a firewall for her. I'm thinking about Outpost
    > free firewall or Kerio/Sunbelt free firewall. I'm not sure if this
    > will be installed on the main computer or one of the other ones.
    >
    > I read somewhere that the Outpost free firewall isn't suitable for a
    > networked computer. Is that true? Is there a free firewall that will
    > work on a networked computer?

    If her computer is "Networked", does that mean that she's behind a NAT
    router of some type? If so, then the Windows firewall is all that she
    needs for a firewall. None of the firewalls you install, where she can
    manage it, will save her from herself.

    Enable Windows firewall, remove exceptions in Windows Firewall. Disable
    File/Printer sharing. Change her account to a LIMITED account (make sure
    there is still an Administrator level account), install and ensure that
    a quality AV software is installed, install FireFox and Thunderbird and
    don't let her use IE/Outlook Express.....

    --

    Leythos
    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

  3. Re: Installing a firewall on home network

    Leythos wrote:
    > In article <1195022529.676425.20290@50g2000hsm.googlegroups.co m>,
    > littleboyblu87@yahoo.com says...
    > > I need to install a firewall on my grandmother's computer which is
    > > networked. Is there anything special I might need to do since the
    > > computer is networked? I figure I'll have to allow the IP addresses of
    > > the network (or whatever). I know nothing about networks.
    > >
    > > I haven't decided on a firewall for her. I'm thinking about Outpost
    > > free firewall or Kerio/Sunbelt free firewall. I'm not sure if this
    > > will be installed on the main computer or one of the other ones.
    > >
    > > I read somewhere that the Outpost free firewall isn't suitable for a
    > > networked computer. Is that true? Is there a free firewall that will
    > > work on a networked computer?

    > If her computer is "Networked", does that mean that she's behind a NAT
    > router of some type? If so, then the Windows firewall is all that she
    > needs for a firewall. None of the firewalls you install, where she can
    > manage it, will save her from herself.
    >
    > Enable Windows firewall, remove exceptions in Windows Firewall. Disable
    > File/Printer sharing. Change her account to a LIMITED account (make sure
    > there is still an Administrator level account), install and ensure that
    > a quality AV software is installed, install FireFox and Thunderbird and
    > don't let her use IE/Outlook Express.....
    >
    > --

    She uses a wireless router. I don't know if it's secure or not, I
    didn't set it up. Her computer is the main computer. I don't know if
    she wants me to install the firewall to the main computer or another
    one (there's three desktop computers and one laptop). I'm fairly
    certain the Windows Firewall is disabled by AOL. At least once a year
    for the past few years she's had problems with spyware and viruses.
    She's been using Norton Internet Security but has decided to get rid
    of it as it slows the computer down. That's why she needs to find
    another software firewall.

  4. Re: Installing a firewall on home network

    In article <1195042018.564165.88080@o80g2000hse.googlegroups.c om>,
    littleboyblu87@yahoo.com says...

    > Leythos wrote:
    > > In article <1195022529.676425.20290@50g2000hsm.googlegroups.co m>,
    > > littleboyblu87@yahoo.com says...
    > > > I need to install a firewall on my grandmother's computer which is
    > > > networked. Is there anything special I might need to do since the
    > > > computer is networked? I figure I'll have to allow the IP addresses of
    > > > the network (or whatever). I know nothing about networks.
    > > >
    > > > I haven't decided on a firewall for her. I'm thinking about Outpost
    > > > free firewall or Kerio/Sunbelt free firewall. I'm not sure if this
    > > > will be installed on the main computer or one of the other ones.
    > > >
    > > > I read somewhere that the Outpost free firewall isn't suitable for a
    > > > networked computer. Is that true? Is there a free firewall that will
    > > > work on a networked computer?

    > > If her computer is "Networked", does that mean that she's behind a NAT
    > > router of some type? If so, then the Windows firewall is all that she
    > > needs for a firewall. None of the firewalls you install, where she can
    > > manage it, will save her from herself.
    > >
    > > Enable Windows firewall, remove exceptions in Windows Firewall. Disable
    > > File/Printer sharing. Change her account to a LIMITED account (make sure
    > > there is still an Administrator level account), install and ensure that
    > > a quality AV software is installed, install FireFox and Thunderbird and
    > > don't let her use IE/Outlook Express.....
    > >

    > She uses a wireless router. I don't know if it's secure or not, I
    > didn't set it up.

    Then you should make sure that WPA is enabled, that it has a strong key,
    that it's not setup with the default password for the admin page, that
    it's not using the default subnet....

    > Her computer is the main computer.

    What does that mean - that computer acting as the file repository for
    the other computers?

    > I don't know if
    > she wants me to install the firewall to the main computer or another
    > one (there's three desktop computers and one laptop). I'm fairly
    > certain the Windows Firewall is disabled by AOL.

    AOL does insert a BUNCH of holes in it, but it does ot disable it,
    unless the user does it.

    > At least once a year
    > for the past few years she's had problems with spyware and viruses.
    > She's been using Norton Internet Security but has decided to get rid
    > of it as it slows the computer down. That's why she needs to find
    > another software firewall.

    So, does she use the "main" computer to store files for the other
    computers or are they all stand-alone computers?

    The wireless router already blocks inbound unsolicited connections to
    her computers, so you only have to worry about what you connect to, or
    what your computer connects to that you don't know about.

    Most NAT devices have logging ability - many work with WallWatcher
    logging utility - look for it, Linksys units work very nicely with it -
    it will show all traffic types in/out of the router.

    --

    Leythos
    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

  5. Re: Installing a firewall on home network

    Mike S. wrote:

    > I know nothing about networks.

    Then don't try implementing a firewall or any other network-related security
    concept. You can only fail, if not making it worse.

    > I haven't decided on a firewall for her. I'm thinking about Outpost
    > free firewall or Kerio/Sunbelt free firewall.

    It seems like you're not actually thinking in that context. Those aren't
    firewalls and neither security products.

  6. Re: Installing a firewall on home network

    I'm fairly
    > certain theWindowsFirewallis disabled byAOL.

    I believe you have to manually disable it in Control Panel / Security
    Center. AOL'S Security Center suggests that action upon recognizing
    Windows Firewall is also on.

  7. Re: Installing a firewall on home network

    On Dec 2, 8:23�am, Neil wrote:
    > I'm fairly certain the Windows Firewall is disabled by AOL.
    >
    > I believe you have to manually disable it in Control Panel / Security
    > Center. AOL'S Security Center suggests that action upon recognizing WindowsFirewall is also on.

    I'd like to know if it's better to disable AOL's Firewall and use
    Windows Firewall.

  8. Re: Installing a firewall on home network

    Neil wrote:

    > On Dec 2, 8:23�am, Neil wrote:
    >> I'm fairly certain the Windows Firewall is disabled by AOL.
    >>
    >> I believe you have to manually disable it in Control Panel / Security
    >> Center. AOL'S Security Center suggests that action upon recognizing WindowsFirewall is also on.

    > I'd like to know if it's better to disable AOL's Firewall and use
    > Windows Firewall.

    As long as you don't completely remove this AOL crap, it won't make any
    difference.

  9. Re: Installing a firewall on home network

    On Dec 2, 9:13*am, "Sebastian G." wrote:
    > Neil wrote:
    > > On Dec 2, 8:23�am, Neil wrote:
    > >> I'm fairly certain the Windows Firewall is disabled by AOL.

    > >> I believe you have to manually disable it in Control Panel / Security
    > >> Center. AOL'S Security Center suggests that action upon recognizing WindowsFirewall is also on.

    > > I'd like to know if it's better to disable AOL's Firewall and use
    > > Windows Firewall.

    > As long as you don't completely remove this AOL crap, it won't make any
    > difference.

    I agree that AOL is best avoided, and we will be moving away from it.
    Just want to know for now if you recommend disabling AOL's Firewall
    and enabling Windows Firewall, rather than the other way around. Both
    say not to be running more than one Firewall. Thanks.

  10. Re: Installing a firewall on home network

    Neil wrote:

    > Just want to know for now if you recommend disabling AOL's Firewall
    > and enabling Windows Firewall, rather than the other way around. Both
    > say not to be running more than one Firewall. Thanks.

    The problem is that you simply cannot disable the AOL firewall. Even when
    it's "disabled", the packet filtering driver will still interfere with the
    traffic, randomly break network functionality and opening security holes.

  11. Re: Installing a firewall on home network

    03 December 2007 23:13 Sebastian G. broadcast thus:

    > The problem is that you simply cannot disable the AOL firewall. Even when
    > it's "disabled", the packet filtering driver will still interfere with the
    > traffic, randomly break network functionality and opening security holes.

    That's awful programming. I've got a friend who has a PC where AOL was (at
    least partially) installed. He's not using AOL thank god but the box is
    awfully slow, even for a Windows machine... let me guess, uninstalling AOL
    leaves behind the packet filter driver? People should be taken out at dawn
    and shot for writing malware like this .

  12. Re: Installing a firewall on home network

    Jamin Davis wrote:

    > That's awful programming. I've got a friend who has a PC where AOL was (at
    > least partially) installed. He's not using AOL thank god but the box is
    > awfully slow, even for a Windows machine... let me guess, uninstalling AOL
    > leaves behind the packet filter driver?

    Just like almost any other "personal firewall" crap.

    Or it modified some TCP/IP performance options. Not much better either.

    > People should be taken out at dawn and shot for writing malware like this .

    Why? The irony in the claims of what the software is supposed to achieve
    couldn't be any more obvious.

+ Reply to Thread