OT: How secure is my connection - Firewalls

This is a discussion on OT: How secure is my connection - Firewalls ; I live an appartment in a basement of a home. Now the landlord had cable outlets in the basement already. I called Rogers and got RHSI. Ok can my landlord have a router/firewall box on their side of the house ...

  1. OT: How secure is my connection

    I live an appartment in a basement of a home. Now the landlord had
    cable outlets in the basement already. I called Rogers and got RHSI.

    Ok can my landlord have a router/firewall box on their side of the
    house before my connection hits the outside to filter out the
    connection in anyway ? How secure is my transmissions through this
    connection ? Can he listen to my connection after it leaves my modem
    but the signal has to go through my landlord side of the house before
    it hits box outside ?

    Any comments would be appreciated.

  2. Re: OT: How secure is my connection

    jhu wrote:
    > I live an appartment in a basement of a home. Now the landlord had
    > cable outlets in the basement already. I called Rogers and got RHSI.
    >
    > Ok can my landlord have a router/firewall box on their side of the
    > house before my connection hits the outside to filter out the
    > connection in anyway ? How secure is my transmissions through this
    > connection ? Can he listen to my connection after it leaves my modem
    > but the signal has to go through my landlord side of the house before
    > it hits box outside ?
    >
    > Any comments would be appreciated.

    he can read change, block all your packets

  3. Re: OT: How secure is my connection

    On Nov 11, 8:31 am, goarilla <"kevin DOT paulus AT skynet DOT be">
    wrote:
    > jhu wrote:
    > > I live an appartment in a basement of a home. Now the landlord had
    > > cable outlets in the basement already. I called Rogers and got RHSI.

    > > Ok can my landlord have a router/firewall box on their side of the
    > > house before my connection hits the outside to filter out the
    > > connection in anyway ? How secure is my transmissions through this
    > > connection ? Can he listen to my connection after it leaves my modem
    > > but the signal has to go through my landlord side of the house before
    > > it hits box outside ?

    > > Any comments would be appreciated.

    > he can read change, block all your packets

    Care to explain what sort of adapter card is needed (maybe something
    along the lines of a TV Tuner) ? I mean how does one take a bare
    coaxial cable and start listening to the signals ?

  4. Re: OT: How secure is my connection

    jhu wrote:
    > On Nov 11, 8:31 am, goarilla <"kevin DOT paulus AT skynet DOT be">
    > wrote:
    >> jhu wrote:
    >>> I live an appartment in a basement of a home. Now the landlord had
    >>> cable outlets in the basement already. I called Rogers and got RHSI.
    >>> Ok can my landlord have a router/firewall box on their side of the
    >>> house before my connection hits the outside to filter out the
    >>> connection in anyway ? How secure is my transmissions through this
    >>> connection ? Can he listen to my connection after it leaves my modem
    >>> but the signal has to go through my landlord side of the house before
    >>> it hits box outside ?
    >>> Any comments would be appreciated.

    >> he can read change, block all your packets

    > Care to explain what sort of adapter card is needed (maybe something
    > along the lines of a TV Tuner) ? I mean how does one take a bare
    > coaxial cable and start listening to the signals ?

    a modem and a NIC in promiscous mode is enough
    if the modem is just a layer 1/2 device

+ Reply to Thread