Zonealarm blocking all UDP servers - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Zonealarm blocking all UDP servers - Firewalls ; I'm having trouble getting Zonealarm to allow traffic to applications that serve on UDP. In particular I am noticing this on two games: Starsiege: Tribes and Quake II, and noticing it in a P2P program called eMule (using a network ...

  1. Zonealarm blocking all UDP servers

    I'm having trouble getting Zonealarm to allow traffic to applications
    that serve on UDP. In particular I am noticing this on two games:
    Starsiege: Tribes and Quake II, and noticing it in a P2P program
    called eMule (using a network called Kademlia).

    The applications are set to be allowed to act as servers, and they
    were working before I installed the firewall. I am also able to get
    traffic to servers on TCP, including my web server and my FTP server.
    The firewall is only causing problems to UDP.

    The setting "Allow uncommon protocols at high security" in the
    firewall tab under "Advanced" did nothing. I'm not sure what that
    does, but would like to know.

  2. Re: Zonealarm blocking all UDP servers

    beatme101 wrote:
    > I'm having trouble getting Zonealarm to allow traffic to applications
    > that serve on UDP. In particular I am noticing this on two games:
    > Starsiege: Tribes and Quake II, and noticing it in a P2P program
    > called eMule (using a network called Kademlia).

    You have a router with hardware firewall? Then you don't need ZoneAlarm
    running when playing those games. If you are on XP or Vista you don't
    need ZoneAlarm at all, just use the OS firewall. I only use ZoneAlarm on
    a Win2K box that has no built in firewall.

  3. Re: Zonealarm blocking all UDP servers

    On Nov 7, 10:58 pm, John Adams wrote:
    > beatme101 wrote:
    > > I'm having trouble getting Zonealarm to allow traffic to applications
    > > that serve on UDP. In particular I am noticing this on two games:
    > > Starsiege: Tribes and Quake II, and noticing it in a P2P program
    > > called eMule (using a network called Kademlia).

    > You have a router with hardware firewall? Then you don't need ZoneAlarm
    > running when playing those games. If you are on XP or Vista you don't
    > need ZoneAlarm at all, just use the OS firewall. I only use ZoneAlarm on
    > a Win2K box that has no built in firewall.

    Thanks for the response, but actually, I managed to fix it myself
    while I was waiting (I've been working on this all day). I had to
    adjust the security slider from high to medium.

    I have a hardware firewall (router), but I had so many services, and
    it was starting to not properly forward ports, so I decided to use the
    DMZ option and open up my computer to the world. So a firewall is a
    must. And I am on Windows 2000 Professional (favourite Windows
    version, wouldn't dare put any other on my system unless in a virtual
    machine), doesn't come with a firewall.

+ Reply to Thread