Can I selectively turn off my router's firewall only for certain devices connected to it? - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Can I selectively turn off my router's firewall only for certain devices connected to it? - Firewalls ; Is it possible to selectively disable my router's firewall only for certain devices connected to it? Let me explain. There are two devices connected to my router: my computer and a linksys cit400 skype phone. I use the linksys phone ...

  1. Can I selectively turn off my router's firewall only for certain devices connected to it?

    Is it possible to selectively disable my router's firewall only for
    certain devices connected to it? Let me explain. There are two devices
    connected to my router: my computer and a linksys cit400 skype phone.
    I use the linksys phone for skype but with the router firewall ON
    skype does not function. So can I turn off the firewall for the phone
    but not the computer? If so how?

  2. Re: Can I selectively turn off my router's firewall only for certaindevices connected to it?

    fd97207@gmail.com wrote:

    > Is it possible to selectively disable my router's firewall only for
    > certain devices connected to it? Let me explain. There are two devices
    > connected to my router: my computer and a linksys cit400 skype phone.
    > I use the linksys phone for skype but with the router firewall ON
    > skype does not function. So can I turn off the firewall for the phone
    > but not the computer? If so how?

    Since you're abusing MSIE as a webbrowser, I doubt that you're seriously
    concerned for any security. Just turn it off for all devices.

  3. Re: Can I selectively turn off my router's firewall only for certain devices connected to it?

    In article <1194407276.043428.39680@y27g2000pre.googlegroups.c om>,
    fd97207@gmail.com says...
    > Is it possible to selectively disable my router's firewall only for
    > certain devices connected to it? Let me explain. There are two devices
    > connected to my router: my computer and a linksys cit400 skype phone.
    > I use the linksys phone for skype but with the router firewall ON
    > skype does not function. So can I turn off the firewall for the phone
    > but not the computer? If so how?

    That's because Linksys doesn't offer a firewall device.

    If you had a firewall you could easily create rules to forward traffic
    to your phone and to allow traffic out from it, without compromising
    your network.

    --

    Leythos
    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

  4. Re: Can I selectively turn off my router's firewall only for certain devices connected to it?

    On Nov 6, 9:47 pm, fd97...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Is it possible to selectively disable my router's firewall only for
    > certain devices connected to it? Let me explain. There are two devices
    > connected to my router: my computer and a linksys cit400 skype phone.
    > I use the linksys phone for skype but with the router firewall ON
    > skype does not function. So can I turn off the firewall for the phone
    > but not the computer? If so how?

    Don't listen to those fools. Your Linksys should allow you to set
    forwarding rules or a DMZ bastion host. You can configure the
    firewall to make your SKype phone (for example) a host in the 'DMZ.'
    While in the DMZ this host (called a bastion host) will pretty much be
    open to the Internet.

    Granted - the terms used are not really representative of a
    traditional/REAL firewall topologies you would find outside of
    someone's home but the idea is the same.

    Try that and see how it works.

  5. Re: Can I selectively turn off my router's firewall only for certain devices connected to it?

    In article <1194469926.569442.154370@k79g2000hse.googlegroups. com>,
    sirus.cosmo@gmail.com says...
    > On Nov 6, 9:47 pm, fd97...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Is it possible to selectively disable my router's firewall only for
    > > certain devices connected to it? Let me explain. There are two devices
    > > connected to my router: my computer and a linksys cit400 skype phone.
    > > I use the linksys phone for skype but with the router firewall ON
    > > skype does not function. So can I turn off the firewall for the phone
    > > but not the computer? If so how?

    > Don't listen to those fools. Your Linksys should allow you to set
    > forwarding rules or a DMZ bastion host. You can configure the
    > firewall to make your SKype phone (for example) a host in the 'DMZ.'
    > While in the DMZ this host (called a bastion host) will pretty much be
    > open to the Internet.
    >
    > Granted - the terms used are not really representative of a
    > traditional/REAL firewall topologies you would find outside of
    > someone's home but the idea is the same.
    >
    > Try that and see how it works.

    Yea, and the DMZ is not a real DMZ like a proper firewall would offer.
    It's on the same network as the LAN, so there is a good chance that the
    LAN computers could be compromised.

    What he really wants to do is get a better device, firewall with a real
    DMZ, or just setup port forwarding in the LAN to the device.

    --

    Leythos
    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

  6. Re: Can I selectively turn off my router's firewall only for certain devices connected to it?

    On Nov 7, 3:22 pm, Leythos wrote:
    > In article <1194469926.569442.154...@k79g2000hse.googlegroups. com>,
    > sirus.co...@gmail.com says...
    >

    > > On Nov 6, 9:47 pm, fd97...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > > Is it possible to selectively disable my router's firewall only for
    > > > certain devices connected to it? Let me explain. There are two devices
    > > > connected to my router: my computer and a linksys cit400 skype phone.
    > > > I use the linksys phone for skype but with the router firewall ON
    > > > skype does not function. So can I turn off the firewall for the phone
    > > > but not the computer? If so how?

    > > Don't listen to those fools. Your Linksys should allow you to set
    > > forwarding rules or a DMZ bastion host. You can configure the
    > > firewall to make your SKype phone (for example) a host in the 'DMZ.'
    > > While in the DMZ this host (called a bastion host) will pretty much be
    > > open to the Internet.

    > > Granted - the terms used are not really representative of a
    > > traditional/REAL firewall topologies you would find outside of
    > > someone's home but the idea is the same.

    > > Try that and see how it works.

    > Yea, and the DMZ is not a real DMZ like a proper firewall would offer.
    > It's on the same network as the LAN, so there is a good chance that the
    > LAN computers could be compromised.
    >
    > What he really wants to do is get a better device, firewall with a real
    > DMZ, or just setup port forwarding in the LAN to the device.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Leythos
    > - Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.
    > - Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented worker" is like calling a
    > drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"
    > spam999f...@rrohio.com (remove 999 for proper email address)

    It's a freakin' HOME network - there's absolutely no reason why he
    needs to go spend $500+ for a more robust firewall when the $100
    Linksys does the job.

  7. Re: Can I selectively turn off my router's firewall only for certain devices connected to it?

    In article <1194534944.604392.147400@k35g2000prh.googlegroups. com>,
    sirus.cosmo@gmail.com says...
    > On Nov 7, 3:22 pm, Leythos wrote:
    > > In article <1194469926.569442.154...@k79g2000hse.googlegroups. com>,
    > > sirus.co...@gmail.com says...

    > > > Don't listen to those fools. Your Linksys should allow you to set
    > > > forwarding rules or a DMZ bastion host. You can configure the
    > > > firewall to make your SKype phone (for example) a host in the 'DMZ.'
    > > > While in the DMZ this host (called a bastion host) will pretty much be
    > > > open to the Internet.

    > > > Granted - the terms used are not really representative of a
    > > > traditional/REAL firewall topologies you would find outside of
    > > > someone's home but the idea is the same.

    > > > Try that and see how it works.

    > > Yea, and the DMZ is not a real DMZ like a proper firewall would offer.
    > > It's on the same network as the LAN, so there is a good chance that the
    > > LAN computers could be compromised.
    > >
    > > What he really wants to do is get a better device, firewall with a real
    > > DMZ, or just setup port forwarding in the LAN to the device.
    > >

    > It's a freakin' HOME network - there's absolutely no reason why he
    > needs to go spend $500+ for a more robust firewall when the $100
    > Linksys does the job.

    How do you know?

    --

    Leythos
    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

  8. Re: Can I selectively turn off my router's firewall only for certain devices connected to it?

    On Nov 8, 10:25 am, Leythos wrote:
    > In article <1194534944.604392.147...@k35g2000prh.googlegroups. com>,
    > sirus.co...@gmail.com says...
    >

    > > On Nov 7, 3:22 pm, Leythos wrote:
    > > > In article <1194469926.569442.154...@k79g2000hse.googlegroups. com>,
    > > > sirus.co...@gmail.com says...

    > > > Yea, and the DMZ is not a real DMZ like a proper firewall would offer.
    > > > It's on the same network as the LAN, so there is a good chance that the
    > > > LAN computers could be compromised.

    > > > What he really wants to do is get a better device, firewall with a real
    > > > DMZ, or just setup port forwarding in the LAN to the device.

    > > It's a freakin' HOME network - there's absolutely no reason why he
    > > needs to go spend $500+ for a more robust firewall when the $100
    > > Linksys does the job.

    > How do you know?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Leythos
    > - Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.
    > - Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented worker" is like calling a
    > drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"
    > spam999f...@rrohio.com (remove 999 for proper email address)- Hide quoted text -

    Gentlemen (and ladies),

    I think there has been some misunderstanding. My router is Belkin Pre-
    N F5D8230-4 v2 not linksys (re read my post). Could you explain me
    what is DMZ? You may want to see my other thread here:

  9. Re: Can I selectively turn off my router's firewall only for certain devices connected to it?

    AMR wrote in
    news:1194534944.604392.147400@k35g2000prh.googlegr oups.com:

    > It's a freakin' HOME network - there's absolutely no reason why he
    > needs to go spend $500+ for a more robust firewall when the $100
    > Linksys does the job.

    AMR: That dumb german, Sebastian, and his sidekick "Leythos the Clown" always
    do this kind of dance when someone asks a question. It's fun at first, then
    boring, then killfile meat.

    ChronJob
    _____________________________________
    "-When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."

  10. Re: Can I selectively turn off my router's firewall only for certain devices connected to it?

    In article , chronjob@yahoo.com
    says...
    > AMR wrote in
    > news:1194534944.604392.147400@k35g2000prh.googlegr oups.com:
    >

    > > It's a freakin' HOME network - there's absolutely no reason why he
    > > needs to go spend $500+ for a more robust firewall when the $100
    > > Linksys does the job.
    > >

    > AMR: That dumb german, Sebastian, and his sidekick "Leythos the Clown" always
    > do this kind of dance when someone asks a question. It's fun at first, then
    > boring, then killfile meat.

    No, it's only people that don't want to admit that they have nothing to
    protect that keep telling people that a firewall isn't necessary. While
    A cheap appliance can e had for about $300, that's the lowest end of
    what I've seen that I would ever consider for protecting a computer that
    has any personal information on it.

    You can live in the dream world where no persons computer is
    compromised, where they don't have any information loss, where they
    their identity means nothing, but most people don't live in your world.