Firewall Selection Advice - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Firewall Selection Advice - Firewalls ; Good day. I'm starting a network consisting of 50 PCs through a satellite connection. I need a dedicated firewall which will be able to accomplish the following: -MAC Filtering for hardlined machines (the wireless router can handle MAC filtering for ...

  1. Firewall Selection Advice

    Good day. I'm starting a network consisting of 50 PCs through a
    satellite connection. I need a dedicated firewall which will be able
    to accomplish the following:

    -MAC Filtering for hardlined machines (the wireless router can handle
    MAC filtering for wireless)
    -Badwidth limits per MAC address for a specific time period
    -Logs of all traffic
    -Log specifically for bandwidth
    -Blocking of some P2P processes, but not all (don't allow gaming but
    do allow skype, etc)
    -DHCP
    -Normal DoS protection, etc
    -VPN is not important to us

    Any advice? I'm finding tons of equipment out there, but I'm hoping to
    spend less than $200. I've seen ZyXEL ZyWALL 2 Plus, which looks good,
    but I'm not 100% convinced.

    Thanks for your help.

  2. Re: Firewall Selection Advice

    wrote in message
    news:1194156283.714874.166120@50g2000hsm.googlegro ups.com...
    > Good day. I'm starting a network consisting of 50 PCs through a
    > satellite connection. I need a dedicated firewall which will be able
    > to accomplish the following:
    >
    > -MAC Filtering for hardlined machines (the wireless router can handle
    > MAC filtering for wireless)
    > -Badwidth limits per MAC address for a specific time period
    > -Logs of all traffic
    > -Log specifically for bandwidth
    > -Blocking of some P2P processes, but not all (don't allow gaming but
    > do allow skype, etc)
    > -DHCP
    > -Normal DoS protection, etc
    > -VPN is not important to us
    >
    > Any advice? I'm finding tons of equipment out there, but I'm hoping to
    > spend less than $200. I've seen ZyXEL ZyWALL 2 Plus, which looks good,
    > but I'm not 100% convinced.
    >
    > Thanks for your help.

    If wireless is involved, then you need to be posting to
    alt.internet,wireless to professionals that put those types of solutions
    together for clients.

  3. Re: Firewall Selection Advice

    > If wireless is involved, then you need to be posting to
    > alt.internet,wireless to professionals that put those types of solutions
    > together for clients.

    This is a network for both wireless and wired machines.

  4. Re: Firewall Selection Advice

    wrote in message
    news:1194179485.741505.215500@z9g2000hsf.googlegro ups.com...

    >> If wireless is involved, then you need to be posting to
    >> alt.internet,wireless to professionals that put those types of solutions
    >> together for clients.
    >>

    > This is a network for both wireless and wired machines.

    So? They work with both types of solutions in the wireless NG as clients
    have wired/wireless solutions they need help with to implement, and they can
    give you better advise on a wire/wireless solution. That's what they do.

    I can't say that you're posting to the wrong NG. But there are professionals
    over there that are just as savvy in wire/wireless FW solutions maybe even
    better than here. One thing they might say is keep the wireless out of the
    FW's trusted zone and not even get a wire/wireless FW appliance solution as
    an example and take another approach.

    I frequent both NG(s).

  5. Re: Firewall Selection Advice

    > I'm finding tons of equipment out there, but I'm hoping to spend less than
    > $200.

    Here is the cost figure to keep in mind: Between $50 and $100 in direct and
    indirect costs for EACH customer record inadvertently exposed.

    Perimeter protection is not a place to skimp on costs.

    JJ

    wrote in message
    news:1194156283.714874.166120@50g2000hsm.googlegro ups.com...
    > Good day. I'm starting a network consisting of 50 PCs through a
    > satellite connection. I need a dedicated firewall which will be able
    > to accomplish the following:
    >
    > -MAC Filtering for hardlined machines (the wireless router can handle
    > MAC filtering for wireless)
    > -Badwidth limits per MAC address for a specific time period
    > -Logs of all traffic
    > -Log specifically for bandwidth
    > -Blocking of some P2P processes, but not all (don't allow gaming but
    > do allow skype, etc)
    > -DHCP
    > -Normal DoS protection, etc
    > -VPN is not important to us
    >
    > Any advice? I'm finding tons of equipment out there, but I'm hoping to
    > spend less than $200. I've seen ZyXEL ZyWALL 2 Plus, which looks good,
    > but I'm not 100% convinced.
    >
    > Thanks for your help.

  6. Re: Firewall Selection Advice

    On Nov 4, 12:04 am, "LTKave...@gmail.com" wrote:
    > Good day. I'm starting a network consisting of 50 PCs through a
    > satellite connection. I need a dedicated firewall which will be able
    > to accomplish the following:
    >
    > -MAC Filtering for hardlined machines (the wireless router can handle
    > MAC filtering for wireless)
    > -Badwidth limits per MAC address for a specific time period
    > -Logs of all traffic
    > -Log specifically for bandwidth
    > -Blocking of some P2P processes, but not all (don't allow gaming but
    > do allow skype, etc)
    > -DHCP
    > -Normal DoS protection, etc
    > -VPN is not important to us
    >
    > Any advice? I'm finding tons of equipment out there, but I'm hoping to
    > spend less than $200. I've seen ZyXEL ZyWALL 2 Plus, which looks good,
    > but I'm not 100% convinced.
    >
    > Thanks for your help.

    Less than $200 per seat or less than $200 TOTAL for the entire
    firewall solution??

  7. Re: Firewall Selection Advice

    In article <1194277996.135676.233620@22g2000hsm.googlegroups.c om>,
    sirus.cosmo@gmail.com says...
    > On Nov 4, 12:04 am, "LTKave...@gmail.com" wrote:
    > > Good day. I'm starting a network consisting of 50 PCs through a
    > > satellite connection. I need a dedicated firewall which will be able
    > > to accomplish the following:
    > >
    > > -MAC Filtering for hardlined machines (the wireless router can handle
    > > MAC filtering for wireless)
    > > -Badwidth limits per MAC address for a specific time period
    > > -Logs of all traffic
    > > -Log specifically for bandwidth
    > > -Blocking of some P2P processes, but not all (don't allow gaming but
    > > do allow skype, etc)
    > > -DHCP
    > > -Normal DoS protection, etc
    > > -VPN is not important to us
    > >
    > > Any advice? I'm finding tons of equipment out there, but I'm hoping to
    > > spend less than $200. I've seen ZyXEL ZyWALL 2 Plus, which looks good,
    > > but I'm not 100% convinced.
    > >
    > > Thanks for your help.

    > Less than $200 per seat or less than $200 TOTAL for the entire
    > firewall solution??

    If it's less than $200 then it's not a firewall.

    --

    Leythos
    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

  8. Re: Firewall Selection Advice

    In article , spider.2zlg9m@mail
    says...

    > Hi,
    >
    > ZyWALL2 Plus is perfect for less than 10 users network, but you are
    > talking about 50 PCs in your network.
    >
    > I think you have to think of ZyWALL 35 or even ZyWALL 70 for your
    > network and I prefer that you go with UTM models for full Internet
    > protection ( Anti-virus, Anti-Spam, IDS/IPS, Content filtering,
    > firewalling .... etc) which is supported on ZyXEL ZyWALL UTM models
    > like 5,35,70 and 1050.

    And what happens when the load is increased....

    My experience with ZyXel support is about the same as Dell support,
    sucks.

    --

    Leythos
    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

  9. Re: Firewall Selection Advice

    On Nov 5, 10:06 am, Leythos wrote:
    > In article <1194277996.135676.233...@22g2000hsm.googlegroups.c om>,
    > sirus.co...@gmail.com says...
    >

    > > On Nov 4, 12:04 am, "LTKave...@gmail.com" wrote:
    > > > Good day. I'm starting a network consisting of 50 PCs through a
    > > > satellite connection. I need a dedicated firewall which will be able
    > > > to accomplish the following:

    > > > -MAC Filtering for hardlined machines (the wireless router can handle
    > > > MAC filtering for wireless)
    > > > -Badwidth limits per MAC address for a specific time period
    > > > -Logs of all traffic
    > > > -Log specifically for bandwidth
    > > > -Blocking of some P2P processes, but not all (don't allow gaming but
    > > > do allow skype, etc)
    > > > -DHCP
    > > > -Normal DoS protection, etc
    > > > -VPN is not important to us

    > > > Any advice? I'm finding tons of equipment out there, but I'm hoping to
    > > > spend less than $200. I've seen ZyXEL ZyWALL 2 Plus, which looks good,
    > > > but I'm not 100% convinced.

    > > > Thanks for your help.

    > > Less than $200 per seat or less than $200 TOTAL for the entire
    > > firewall solution??

    > If it's less than $200 then it's not a firewall.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Leythos
    > - Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.
    > - Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented worker" is like calling a
    > drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"
    > spam999f...@rrohio.com (remove 999 for proper email address)

    that's a ridiculous statement

  10. Re: Firewall Selection Advice

    Responding to the original Question the Juniper SSG 5 (Netscreen) is a
    great choice for what you are wanting to do. It gives you Wireless
    with multiple SSIDs, IDS/IPS, client filtering, spam and virus
    filtering as well as IPSEC VPN termination.

    It is going to cost you more than $200 but it is quite a bit cheaper
    than offerings from Cisco.

    The other you you could consider is going with a product you could
    build from someplace like routerboard.com or on a software platform
    such as any linux distro and use IPTABLES. Moonwall would be
    something you would want to research of you were going to go the linux
    route.

    Hope this helps.

    Josh
    http://www.staticnat.com