need advice on h/ware firewall - Firewalls

This is a discussion on need advice on h/ware firewall - Firewalls ; I'm your basic, simple internet surfer.....don't have a network, use a single pc. I've tried most of the freeware firewalls and am currently using McAfee, supplied by my ISP. The program is an anchor dragging my pc down. I'm tired ...

  1. need advice on h/ware firewall

    I'm your basic, simple internet
    surfer.....don't have a network, use a single pc.
    I've tried most of the freeware firewalls and am
    currently using McAfee, supplied by my ISP. The
    program is an anchor dragging my pc down. I'm
    tired of all the alerts the free programs utilize.
    I'd like to try the hardware, router type
    firewall for a change. I've read the NetGear
    311-314 is ok. I really don't need all the
    features of a router, (wouldn't understand them
    anyway), just the firewall aspect. Any suggestions?

  2. Re: need advice on h/ware firewall

    Ed Mc wrote:

    > I'd like to try the hardware, router type firewall for a change.
    > I've read the NetGear 311-314 is ok. I really don't need all the
    > features of a router, (wouldn't understand them anyway), just the
    > firewall aspect. Any suggestions?

    Divert an old PC from the scrap heap and install:

    http://leaf.sourceforge.net/bering-uclibc/

    It doesn't need a fancy spec, a P100 up will do (even a 486) and doesn't
    need a HD, it'll run off a floppy.

    There are other similar Linux based firewall/router distros that others
    may recommend.

    Jim Ford

  3. Re: need advice on h/ware firewall

    Ed Mc after much thought,came up with this jewel
    in news:2Z-dnTH2Kocn5rHanZ2dnUVZ_qelnZ2d@comcast.com:

    > I'm your basic, simple internet
    > surfer.....don't have a network, use a single pc.
    > I've tried most of the freeware firewalls and am
    > currently using McAfee, supplied by my ISP. The
    > program is an anchor dragging my pc down. I'm
    > tired of all the alerts the free programs utilize.
    > I'd like to try the hardware, router type
    > firewall for a change. I've read the NetGear
    > 311-314 is ok. I really don't need all the
    > features of a router, (wouldn't understand them
    > anyway), just the firewall aspect. Any suggestions?

    I use a netgear router-works well-pretty easy to setup.
    Passed all of the firewall checks I found on the web.
    max
    Friends don't let fr
    --
    Virus Removal http://max.shplink.com/removal.html
    Keep Clean http://max.shplink.com/keepingclean.html

  4. Re: need advice on h/ware firewall

    Ed Mc wrote:

    > I'm your basic, simple internet
    > surfer.....don't have a network, use a single pc.
    > I've tried most of the freeware firewalls and am
    > currently using McAfee, supplied by my ISP.

    McAfee Personal firewall? And you've already expercised ruining your system
    with the other "personal firewall" **** as well? You really have too much time.

    > The program is an anchor dragging my pc down.

    As it's supposed to do.

    > I'm tired of all the alerts the free programs utilize.

    Then why did you install those?

    > I really don't need all the features of a router,
    > (wouldn't understand them anyway),

    You don't have a clue about networking, yet you want to implement a firewall?

    > just the firewall aspect.

    You want a routing firewall that doesn't route?

  5. Re: need advice on h/ware firewall

    In article <2Z-dnTH2Kocn5rHanZ2dnUVZ_qelnZ2d@comcast.com>,
    namvtn@noway.com says...
    > I'd like to try the hardware, router type
    > firewall for a change. I've read the NetGear
    > 311-314 is ok. I really don't need all the
    > features of a router, (wouldn't understand them
    > anyway), just the firewall aspect. Any suggestions?

    A 314 is a simple NAT router, as long as you change the default subnet,
    change the password, disable UPnP and remote management, and update the
    firmware, then you're about as safe from unsolicited inbound connections
    as you can get without owning a real firewall.

    With a NAT Router you don't even need the crappy Windows firewall, and
    you can stop using one on your PC, but you want to maintain quality AV
    software at all times.

    You also want to enable the router logging and learn how to read it so
    that you can see what is leaving/reaching your PC in case you have
    malware you don't know about.

    --

    Leythos
    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"