Linksys WRT350N router - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Linksys WRT350N router - Firewalls ; I have a cat5 network at home. I want to keep one of the rooms from running napster like software that seems to send out a lot of outbound traffic to many different IPs. Can I prevent this with my ...

  1. Linksys WRT350N router

    I have a cat5 network at home. I want to keep one of the rooms from
    running napster like software that seems to send out a lot of outbound
    traffic to many different IPs. Can I prevent this with my router
    without limiting internet access?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Linksys WRT350N router

    In article <1194056131.363567.82790@y42g2000hsy.googlegroups.c om>,
    jobs@webdos.com says...
    > I have a cat5 network at home. I want to keep one of the rooms from
    > running napster like software that seems to send out a lot of outbound
    > traffic to many different IPs. Can I prevent this with my router
    > without limiting internet access?

    NO.

    --

    Leythos
    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

  3. Re: Linksys WRT350N router

    jobs wrote:
    > I have a cat5 network at home. I want to keep one of the rooms from
    > running napster like software that seems to send out a lot of outbound
    > traffic to many different IPs. Can I prevent this with my router
    > without limiting internet access?
    >
    > Thanks.

    It's quite difficult to limit internet access without limiting internet
    access.

    Sander

  4. Re: Linksys WRT350N router

    On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 19:15:31 -0700, jobs wrote:

    >I have a cat5 network at home. I want to keep one of the rooms from
    >running napster like software that seems to send out a lot of outbound
    >traffic to many different IPs. Can I prevent this with my router
    >without limiting internet access?

    It's already been pointed out that this can't be done with that router. I
    don't mean to contradict your premise of not limiting internet access, but
    perhaps social engineering might work. If you find Napster-like traffic in
    the router log, just prevent that system from accessing anything for one
    week.

  5. Re: Linksys WRT350N router

    well.. i'm not sure if this was the result of what I did. But my
    router does have a built in Firewall and I am able to limit what
    ports can be accessed by computer on my subnet. I noticed the problem
    was all outbound and to different ports going to countless IP
    addresses. With my router, I created 3 new access rules limiting
    access to ports 24 - 79 , 80-442 , and 444 to the max number on all my
    IP addresses and the traffic stopped. I've tested and I have no
    apparent problem surfing or serving.

  6. Re: Linksys WRT350N router

    "jobs" wrote in message
    news:1194194881.098898.318850@o38g2000hse.googlegr oups.com...
    > well.. i'm not sure if this was the result of what I did. But my
    > router does have a built in Firewall and I am able to limit what
    > ports can be accessed by computer on my subnet. I noticed the problem
    > was all outbound and to different ports going to countless IP
    > addresses. With my router, I created 3 new access rules limiting
    > access to ports 24 - 79 , 80-442 , and 444 to the max number on all my
    > IP addresses and the traffic stopped. I've tested and I have no
    > apparent problem surfing or serving.

    It's only a Band-Aid solution. You need to use tools and go look on the
    machines and see what is causing the outbound and stop it.

    http://www.windowsecurity.com/articl...vironment.html

    You can use Process Explore and go to Menu View/ Show Lower pane/Show all
    DLL(s) , and PE will show you everything that's being hosted by a running
    process in the upper pane. You can right-click a process in the upper pane
    and go to its Properties. You can do the same thing in the lower pane.

+ Reply to Thread