Why does Adobe Acrobat 7 Standard secretly phone home? - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Why does Adobe Acrobat 7 Standard secretly phone home? - Firewalls ; How do I stop Adobe Acrobat from phoning home upon startup? When I open any PDF document, my Windows firewall says - ACROBAT.EXE, Process ID: 1111 - (Adobe Acrobat 7.0, Adobe Systems Incorporated, Ver. 7.0.0.1333) - Attempting network activity. - ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

  1. Why does Adobe Acrobat 7 Standard secretly phone home?

    How do I stop Adobe Acrobat from phoning home upon startup?

    When I open any PDF document, my Windows firewall says
    - ACROBAT.EXE, Process ID: 1111
    - (Adobe Acrobat 7.0, Adobe Systems Incorporated, Ver. 7.0.0.1333)
    - Attempting network activity.
    - Do you want to trust acrobat.exe?
    To which I always say no.

    I've checked all the settings and can't figure out how to stop Adobe
    Acrobat 7.0 Standard from phoning home, particularly:
    - edit > preferences > updates
    - do not automatically check for critical updates

    How do I stop Adobe Acrobat 7 from constantly phoning home?

  2. Re: Why does Adobe Acrobat 7 Standard secretly phone home?

    http://foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php

    --
    -bts

  3. Re: Why does Adobe Acrobat 7 Standard secretly phone home?

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > In alt.privacy.spyware, Tia B. McMahon wrote:
    >

    >>How do I stop Adobe Acrobat from phoning home upon startup?

    > http://foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php

    How does Foxit keep Adobe Acrobat from phoning home?

  4. Re: Why does Adobe Acrobat 7 Standard secretly phone home?

    In alt.privacy.spyware, PDFrank wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> In alt.privacy.spyware, Tia B. McMahon wrote:
    >>>How do I stop Adobe Acrobat from phoning home upon startup?

    >> http://foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php

    > How does Foxit keep Adobe Acrobat from phoning home?

    Just in case that is actually a serious question:

    1. You uninstall the bloated, home-phoning Adobe Acrobat Reader.
    2. You install the slim, non-home-phoning FoxIt Reader.

    --
    -bts

  5. Re: Why does Adobe Acrobat 7 Standard secretly phone home?

    PDFrank after much thought,came up with this jewel
    in news:35WdnVdCkL8PBLvanZ2dnUVZ_tLinZ2d@rcn.net:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> In alt.privacy.spyware, Tia B. McMahon wrote:
    >>

    >>>How do I stop Adobe Acrobat from phoning home upon startup?

    >> http://foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php
    >>

    > How does Foxit keep Adobe Acrobat from phoning home?

    Using add+remove programs,replace acrobat with foxit.
    There is no stopping Adobe-resistance is futile.
    Some pages require Acrobat(like TaxAct).
    You could use a old version of Acrobat for those(I use V4).
    max
    --
    Virus Removal http://max.shplink.com/removal.html
    Keep Clean http://max.shplink.com/keepingclean.html

  6. Re: Why does Adobe Acrobat 7 Standard secretly phone home?

    Tia B. McMahon wrote:
    > How do I stop Adobe Acrobat from phoning home upon startup?
    >
    > When I open any PDF document, my Windows firewall says
    > - ACROBAT.EXE, Process ID: 1111
    > - (Adobe Acrobat 7.0, Adobe Systems Incorporated, Ver. 7.0.0.1333)
    > - Attempting network activity.
    > - Do you want to trust acrobat.exe?
    > To which I always say no.
    >
    > I've checked all the settings and can't figure out how to stop Adobe
    > Acrobat 7.0 Standard from phoning home, particularly:
    > - edit > preferences > updates
    > - do not automatically check for critical updates
    >
    > How do I stop Adobe Acrobat 7 from constantly phoning home?

    I use Foxit but all Acrobat is doing is checking for a new version.

  7. Re: Why does Adobe Acrobat 7 Standard secretly phone home?

    "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:

    >In alt.privacy.spyware, Tia B. McMahon wrote:
    >
    >> How do I stop Adobe Acrobat from phoning home upon startup?

    >http://foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php

    I think it's worth pointing out that the original poster is talking
    about Adobe Acrobat, not the free Adobe Reader (to which Foxit Reader
    can be compared).
    Aandi Inston

  8. Re: Why does Adobe Acrobat 7 Standard secretly phone home?

    Tia B. McMahon wrote:
    > How do I stop Adobe Acrobat from phoning home upon startup?
    >
    > When I open any PDF document, my Windows firewall says
    > - ACROBAT.EXE, Process ID: 1111
    > - (Adobe Acrobat 7.0, Adobe Systems Incorporated, Ver. 7.0.0.1333)
    > - Attempting network activity.
    > - Do you want to trust acrobat.exe?
    > To which I always say no.
    >
    > I've checked all the settings and can't figure out how to stop Adobe
    > Acrobat 7.0 Standard from phoning home, particularly:
    > - edit > preferences > updates
    > - do not automatically check for critical updates
    >
    > How do I stop Adobe Acrobat 7 from constantly phoning home?

    There should be a setting in preferences. I'll look for it today when I
    get to work.

    If not, though, you can download this:

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys.../AutoRuns.mspx

    or this:

    http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

    --
    Rhonda Lea Kirk

    Some are tempted to think of life in cyberspace as insignificant,
    as escape or meaningless diversion. It is not. Our experiences there
    are serious play. We belittle them at our risk. Sherry Turkle

  9. Re: Why does Adobe Acrobat 7 Standard secretly phone home?

    "Tia B. McMahon" wrote in message
    news:hqwVi.15854$lD6.6884@newssvr27.news.prodigy.n et...
    > How do I stop Adobe Acrobat from phoning home upon startup?
    >
    > When I open any PDF document, my Windows firewall says
    > - ACROBAT.EXE, Process ID: 1111
    > - (Adobe Acrobat 7.0, Adobe Systems Incorporated, Ver. 7.0.0.1333)
    > - Attempting network activity.
    > - Do you want to trust acrobat.exe?
    > To which I always say no.

    Probably one of those "tattle tale" features, as I like to call
    them, that report back to the company on all software
    that is install, an anti-piracy feature, to make sure that
    all installed copies of the product are legit.

  10. Re: Why does Adobe Acrobat 7 Standard secretly phone home?

    Chilly8 wrote:

    > Probably one of those "tattle tale" features, as I like to call
    > them, that report back to the company on all software
    > that is install, an anti-piracy feature, to make sure that
    > all installed copies of the product are legit.

    This feature was remove in Acrobat 6. Even further, you'd rather see the
    Adobe License Manager Service doing so, not Acrobat itself (and neither
    impersonated).

  11. Re: Why does Adobe Acrobat 7 Standard secretly phone home?

    Tia B. McMahon wrote:
    > How do I stop Adobe Acrobat from phoning home upon startup?
    >
    > When I open any PDF document, my Windows firewall says
    > - ACROBAT.EXE, Process ID: 1111
    > - (Adobe Acrobat 7.0, Adobe Systems Incorporated, Ver. 7.0.0.1333)
    > - Attempting network activity.
    > - Do you want to trust acrobat.exe?
    > To which I always say no.
    >
    > I've checked all the settings and can't figure out how to stop Adobe
    > Acrobat 7.0 Standard from phoning home, particularly:
    > - edit > preferences > updates
    > - do not automatically check for critical updates
    >
    > How do I stop Adobe Acrobat 7 from constantly phoning home?

    Install a software firewall and rig it to block Adobe Reader from
    calling out. That's what I do. There are several freeware firewalls out
    there. Perhaps you might want to look at here:

    http://www.snapfiles.com/Freeware/se...wfirewall.html

    --
    John Corliss

  12. Re: Why does Adobe Acrobat 7 Standard secretly phone home?

    John Corliss wrote:

    >> How do I stop Adobe Acrobat 7 from constantly phoning home?

    > Install a software firewall and rig it to block Adobe Reader from
    > calling out.

    LOL. Not just that you're trying to treat the symptoms instead of solving
    the problem (configuring the application correctly), we're talking about
    Adobe Acrobat, not Adobe Reader. Adobe Acrobat's License Managing Service
    uses Raw Sockets to easily bypass any NDIS layer packet filter, which from
    its perspective is an annoyance anyway since only stupid users would try
    stopping a privileged service from accessing network resources since it's
    futile by design.

    > That's what I do. There are several freeware firewalls out
    > there. Perhaps you might want to look at here:
    >
    > http://www.snapfiles.com/Freeware/se...wfirewall.html

    Aside from the fact that none of the mentioned software products could ever
    implement a firewall, where exactly on this website is stated that these
    software products are known broken and highly vulnerable implementations
    which actually introduce new security vulnerabilities?

  13. Re: Why does Adobe Acrobat 7 Standard secretly phone home?

    On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 20:39:51 +0100, Sebastian G. wrote:
    >> Install a software firewall and rig it to block Adobe Reader

    > LOL. Not just that you're trying to treat the symptoms instead of solving
    > the problem (configuring the application correctly), we're talking about
    > Adobe Acrobat, not Adobe Reader.

    I have the same problem.

    Acrobat (the writer, not the reader) is used often to print an entire web
    hierarchy to a PDF so you can't just block ourgoing connections
    indiscriminately. If you do, then you'll never be able to capture an entire
    web hierarchy (as many levels deep as you like) to a multi-page PDF with
    clickable links that take you to all the web pages.

    So, the problem is how to RECONFIGURE ACROBAT so that it stops connecting
    to the mother ship without stopping connections that you actually want it
    to make to a desired web page.

    Is there any option in Adobe Acrobat (the writer, not the reader) that will
    tell it to stop connecting to the mother ship at Adobe upon every use?

  14. Re: Why does Adobe Acrobat 7 Standard secretly phone home?

    Erica Eshoo wrote:

    > Is there any option in Adobe Acrobat (the writer, not the reader) that will
    > tell it to stop connecting to the mother ship at Adobe upon every use?

    No. And this is documented.

  15. Re: Why does Adobe Acrobat 7 Standard secretly phone home?

    Good Man wrote:

    > Erica Eshoo wrote in
    > news:hK%Xi.2583$RR6.593@newssvr22.news.prodigy.net :
    >

    >> So, the problem is how to RECONFIGURE ACROBAT so that it stops
    >> connecting to the mother ship without stopping connections that you
    >> actually want it to make to a desired web page.
    >>
    >> Is there any option in Adobe Acrobat (the writer, not the reader) that
    >> will tell it to stop connecting to the mother ship at Adobe upon every
    >> use?

    > No, but as mentioned, use a firewall with specific rule definitions... ie:
    > don't allow Acrobat to connect to the 'mothership' IP address, but all
    > other IPs are fine.

    Filtering by application? Sounds like you're suggesting to use the typical
    "personal firewall" scam.

    An any rate, it doesn't work since the Adobe License Manager Service uses
    the Raw Sockets API to simply circumvent it (which I think is legitimate).

  16. Re: Why does Adobe Acrobat 7 Standard secretly phone home?

    "Sebastian G." wrote in

    > Good Man wrote:
    >

    > Filtering by application? Sounds like you're suggesting to use the
    > typical "personal firewall" scam.

    Scam? That piques my interest... how so?

    > An any rate, it doesn't work since the Adobe License Manager Service
    > uses the Raw Sockets API to simply circumvent it (which I think is
    > legitimate).

    How about modifying the HOSTS file then?

  17. Re: Why does Adobe Acrobat 7 Standard secretly phone home?

    Good Man wrote:

    >> Filtering by application? Sounds like you're suggesting to use the
    >> typical "personal firewall" scam.

    > Scam? That piques my interest... how so?

    They're promising a lot of things they can't hold even remotely, and due to
    horribly broken implementations actually make the system more vulnerable?

    >> An any rate, it doesn't work since the Adobe License Manager Service
    >> uses the Raw Sockets API to simply circumvent it (which I think is
    >> legitimate).

    > How about modifying the HOSTS file then?

    setsockopts(&socket, SOCKOPT_NO_HOSTS);

    Why are you even suggesting to try playing the cat-and-mouse game? There's
    no chance that you could win.

  18. Re: Why does Adobe Acrobat 7 Standard secretly phone home?

    On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 19:21:47 +0100, Sebastian G. wrote:
    On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 19:21:47 +0100, Sebastian G. wrote:
    >> How about modifying the HOSTS file then?

    > setsockopts(&socket, SOCKOPT_NO_HOSTS);

    I don't fully understand.

    1. I (now) understand there is no option to stop Adobe Acrobat 7 (the
    writer) from connecting to Adobe upon startup.

    2. You can't software firewall block the "application" from connecting to
    the Internet because Acrobat web page capture won't work then.

    3. But you could add an entry specific for Adobe.com in the hosts file that
    would redirect any request specifically to Adobe to 127.0.0.1

    4. But, what is with this socket stuff (SOCKOPT_NO_HOSTS)?
    I don't fully understand.

  19. Re: Why does Adobe Acrobat 7 Standard secretly phone home?

    In article ,
    evesunflor@sbcglobal.net says...
    > On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 19:21:47 +0100, Sebastian G. wrote:
    > On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 19:21:47 +0100, Sebastian G. wrote:
    > >> How about modifying the HOSTS file then?

    > > setsockopts(&socket, SOCKOPT_NO_HOSTS);

    > I don't fully understand.
    >
    > 1. I (now) understand there is no option to stop Adobe Acrobat 7 (the
    > writer) from connecting to Adobe upon startup.
    >
    > 2. You can't software firewall block the "application" from connecting to
    > the Internet because Acrobat web page capture won't work then.
    >
    > 3. But you could add an entry specific for Adobe.com in the hosts file that
    > would redirect any request specifically to Adobe to 127.0.0.1
    >
    > 4. But, what is with this socket stuff (SOCKOPT_NO_HOSTS)?
    > I don't fully understand.

    If you don't mind, why do you use Adobe software and then object when
    they want their software to phone home for any reason? This is an honest
    question, I really never understand the complaint about using a vendors
    software that phones home.

    --

    Leythos
    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

  20. Re: Why does Adobe Acrobat 7 Standard secretly phone home?

    On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 07:50:47 -0500, Leythos wrote:
    > If you don't mind, why do you use Adobe software and then object when
    > they want their software to phone home for any reason?

    As a matter of habit and good computer hygiene, I block all "phone-home"
    requests. I bought the software - not a monitoring service.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast