Why does Adobe Acrobat 7 Standard secretly phone home? - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Why does Adobe Acrobat 7 Standard secretly phone home? - Firewalls ; Erica Eshoo wrote: > 3. But you could add an entry specific for Adobe.com in the hosts file that > would redirect any request specifically to Adobe to 127.0.0.1 > > 4. But, what is with this socket stuff (SOCKOPT_NO_HOSTS)? ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 28 of 28

  1. Re: Why does Adobe Acrobat 7 Standard secretly phone home?

    Erica Eshoo wrote:

    > 3. But you could add an entry specific for Adobe.com in the hosts file that
    > would redirect any request specifically to Adobe to 127.0.0.1
    >
    > 4. But, what is with this socket stuff (SOCKOPT_NO_HOSTS)?

    SOCKOPT_NO_HOSTS is a well-documented standard way for letting every
    unprivileged application resolve hostnames while bypassing the HOSTS file.
    It effectively makes your 127.0.0.1 entry void. And since it uses a
    hardwired list of IP addresses anyway, and could merely bypass the stub
    resolver using kernel sockets, or simply change the entry back while
    masquerading it, and simply does its own resolving, it's futile anyway.

  2. Re: Why does Adobe Acrobat 7 Standard secretly phone home?

    Erica Eshoo wrote:

    > On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 07:50:47 -0500, Leythos wrote:
    >> If you don't mind, why do you use Adobe software and then object when
    >> they want their software to phone home for any reason?

    > As a matter of habit and good computer hygiene, I block all "phone-home"
    > requests. I bought the software - not a monitoring service.

    Since you had the chance to read the documentation (which mentions the
    monitoring) before installing the software, you could have just returned it.
    If you informed yourself earlier, you wouldn't even have bought this software.

  3. Re: Why does Adobe Acrobat 7 Standard secretly phone home?

    Erica Eshoo wrote:
    > On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 19:21:47 +0100, Sebastian G. wrote:
    > On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 19:21:47 +0100, Sebastian G. wrote:
    >>> How about modifying the HOSTS file then?

    >> setsockopts(&socket, SOCKOPT_NO_HOSTS);

    > I don't fully understand.
    >
    > 1. I (now) understand there is no option to stop Adobe Acrobat 7 (the
    > writer) from connecting to Adobe upon startup.
    >
    > 2. You can't software firewall block the "application" from connecting to
    > the Internet because Acrobat web page capture won't work then.
    >
    > 3. But you could add an entry specific for Adobe.com in the hosts file that
    > would redirect any request specifically to Adobe to 127.0.0.1
    >
    > 4. But, what is with this socket stuff (SOCKOPT_NO_HOSTS)?
    > I don't fully understand.

    it's a system call with arguments the memory address of a pointer and
    optional options (SOCKOPT_NO_HOSTS).

  4. Re: Why does Adobe Acrobat 7 Standard secretly phone home?

    Tia B. McMahon wrote:
    > Re: Why does Adobe Acrobat 7 Standard secretly phone home?

    Because it misses its obese, over-bloated mummy?

  5. Re: Why does Adobe Acrobat 7 Standard secretly phone home?

    On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 21:12:24 +0100, Sebastian G. wrote:

    > From: "Sebastian G."
    > Newsgroups: comp.text.pdf,comp.security.firewalls,alt.privacy. spyware
    > Subject: Re: Why does Adobe Acrobat 7 Standard secretly phone home?
    > Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 21:12:24 +0100
    >
    > Erica Eshoo wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 07:50:47 -0500, Leythos wrote:
    >>> If you don't mind, why do you use Adobe software and then object when
    >>> they want their software to phone home for any reason?

    >> As a matter of habit and good computer hygiene, I block all "phone-home"
    >> requests. I bought the software - not a monitoring service.

    > Since you had the chance to read the documentation (which mentions the
    > monitoring) before installing the software, you could have just returned it.
    > If you informed yourself earlier, you wouldn't even have bought this software.

    My dear Sebastian,
    You are either joking, or unrealistic, or you really are a fastidious
    personality who painstakingly reads everyt word of the documentation BEFORE
    buying the software. I'm not.

    As such, I consider myself "normal" that I don't read the documentation
    until I get into trouble and then only to solve the problem. Certainly
    never before I purchase the software. Even so, I don't recall ever seeing
    in the "documentation" that the software must phone home and that there is
    nothing we can do about it.

    Even if the "documentation" did say that, Adobe would never answer the
    question posed here which would block their monitoring of my useage of
    their software for their marketing purposes. So, this question would
    *still* need to be asked.

    Or am I unrealistic?

    Since you obviously do read the documentation, unlike almost every single
    person I've ever met, before you buy the software - can you point me to the
    location that discusses this "feature" in the documentation?

  6. Re: Why does Adobe Acrobat 7 Standard secretly phone home?

    On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 21:12:24 +0100, Sebastian G. wrote:
    > Since you had the chance to read the documentation (which mentions the
    > monitoring) before installing the software, you could have just returned it.
    > If you informed yourself earlier, you wouldn't even have bought this software.

    My dear Sebastian,

    You are either joking, or unrealistic, or you really are a fastidious
    personality who painstakingly reads every word of the documentation BEFORE
    buying the software. I'm not.

    As such, I consider myself close to "normal" that I don't read the
    documentation until/unless I get into trouble and then only to solve the
    problem. Certainly never before I purchase the software. Even so, I don't
    recall ever seeing in the "documentation" that the software must phone home
    and that there is nothing we can do about it.

    Even if the "documentation" did say that, Adobe would never answer the
    question posed here which would block their monitoring of my useage of
    their software for their marketing purposes. So, this question would
    *still* need to be asked. Why does Adobe phone home every day anyway?

    What business benefit do they get out of this monitoring activity?
    Is that in the documentation?

    Can you point me to then location that discusses this "feature" in the
    documentation and why Adobe monitors our activity?

  7. Re: Why does Adobe Acrobat 7 Standard secretly phone home?

    Erica Eshoo wrote:

    > You are either joking, or unrealistic, or you really are a fastidious
    > personality who painstakingly reads everyt word of the documentation BEFORE
    > buying the software. I'm not.

    Well, you're free to not do so. But then accept that the consequences are
    *your* problem, not the problem of the software vendor.

    > Even so, I don't recall ever seeing in the "documentation" that the

    > software must phone home and that there is nothing we can do about it.

    The communication behaviour of the Adobe License Manager service is
    documented in there.

    > Even if the "documentation" did say that, Adobe would never answer the
    > question posed here which would block their monitoring of my useage of
    > their software for their marketing purposes. So, this question would
    > *still* need to be asked.

    The real reason is much less conspirative: If you'd actually block it, the
    software would simply cease to function.

    > Since you obviously do read the documentation, unlike almost every single
    > person I've ever met, before you buy the software - can you point me to the
    > location that discusses this "feature" in the documentation?

    Page 47, License Manager Configuration

  8. Re: Why does Adobe Acrobat 7 Standard secretly phone home?

    > If you don't mind, why do you use Adobe software and then object when
    > they want their software to phone home for any reason? This is an
    > honest question, I really never understand the complaint about using
    > a vendors software that phones home.

    There can be a world of difference between the mission of the
    programmers and that of the marketing department at large software
    companies. Most software does not explicitly divulge that it phones
    home.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2