ATTN: Leythos - Hardware Firewall Solution - Firewalls

This is a discussion on ATTN: Leythos - Hardware Firewall Solution - Firewalls ; I'm working on wiring up a small condo association and they want to share an internet connection. Of course they are all seniors, so they are terrified of the net. I can't spend an arm and a leg, but I ...

  1. ATTN: Leythos - Hardware Firewall Solution

    I'm working on wiring up a small condo association and they want to share
    an internet connection. Of course they are all seniors, so they are
    terrified of the net.

    I can't spend an arm and a leg, but I want to make sure they are
    sufficiently protected.

    Have you any experience with the D-Link DFL-210, D-Link DFL-700, and the
    Firebox X10E.

    Thanks to you, or anybody else, willing to render an educated opinion.

  2. Re: ATTN: Leythos - Hardware Firewall Solution

    In article ,
    Spender@Mars.org says...
    > I'm working on wiring up a small condo association and they want to share
    > an internet connection. Of course they are all seniors, so they are
    > terrified of the net.
    >
    > I can't spend an arm and a leg, but I want to make sure they are
    > sufficiently protected.
    >
    > Have you any experience with the D-Link DFL-210, D-Link DFL-700, and the
    > Firebox X10E.
    >
    > Thanks to you, or anybody else, willing to render an educated opinion.

    I have used all of them.

    The X10e will not handle very many nodes, 10, max of 15. You want the
    device to handle at least double the number you have expected because
    each device will register (so if each of them have a computer, then they
    add wireless to their home, then they have a couple grandkids visit with
    laptops.... that's one for each of those).

    The DFL-700 will do what you want, but you have to understand that every
    user will be on a joined network, all on the same LAN - so one person
    being compromised will spread it to all others.

    We did a small building with 16 office companies in it - came in to a 24
    Port network switch from the ISP device, setup 16 Linksys BEFSR41 NAT
    routers on a fixed IP each, so that each company had their own public
    IP, and then we set each of the Linksys lans to a different Subnet:

    LOC PUBLIC IP PRIVATE IP

    CO1 X.Y.Z.1 192.168.101.1/24
    CO2 X.Y.Z.2 192.168.102.1/24
    CO3 X.Y.Z.3 192.168.103.1/24
    CO4 X.Y.Z.4 192.168.104.1/24
    CO5 X.Y.Z.4 192.168.105.1/24

    This means that each office company has their own LAN, they can't
    compromise the other LAN's in the building, and they are entitled to
    their own port forwarding, etc....

    You could get a Firebox X550 series, in Drop-In mode, so that you have
    the same IP on the WAN and then LAN, then you could put in the routers
    like I show above and give then all public IP's. You could use the DMZ
    port for free wireless coverage - locking it down to DNS, HTTP, HTTPS
    for guess access....

    If you put them all on one network you will regret it and they will grow
    to hate you.

    --

    Leythos
    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

  3. Re: ATTN: Leythos - Hardware Firewall Solution

    Spender wrote:

    > Of course they are all seniors, so they are terrified of the net.

    Hey, wait a minute - I'm what you lot across the pond call a 'senior',
    and I'm not 'terrified of the net'!
    8^(

    Jim Ford

  4. Re: ATTN: Leythos - Hardware Firewall Solution

    In article ,
    jaford@watford53.freeserve.co.uk says...
    > Spender wrote:
    >
    > > Of course they are all seniors, so they are terrified of the net.

    > Hey, wait a minute - I'm what you lot across the pond call a 'senior',
    > and I'm not 'terrified of the net'!
    > 8^(

    Most seniors know more about the "Net" than most younger people give
    them credit for - I know I was really surprised about what my Mother and
    Mother inlaw actually do on the Internet.

    --

    Leythos
    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

  5. Re: ATTN: Leythos - Hardware Firewall Solution

    Leythos wrote:
    > In article ,
    > jaford@watford53.freeserve.co.uk says...
    >> Spender wrote:
    >>
    >>> Of course they are all seniors, so they are terrified of the net.

    >> Hey, wait a minute - I'm what you lot across the pond call a 'senior',
    >> and I'm not 'terrified of the net'!
    >> 8^(

    > Most seniors know more about the "Net" than most younger people give
    > them credit for - I know I was really surprised about what my Mother and
    > Mother inlaw actually do on the Internet.

    I'm glad you said 'surprised' and not 'shocked'!
    ;^)

    Jim Ford

  6. Re: ATTN: Leythos - Hardware Firewall Solution

    In article ,
    jaford@watford53.freeserve.co.uk says...
    > Leythos wrote:
    > > In article ,
    > > jaford@watford53.freeserve.co.uk says...

    > >> Hey, wait a minute - I'm what you lot across the pond call a 'senior',
    > >> and I'm not 'terrified of the net'!
    > >> 8^(

    > > Most seniors know more about the "Net" than most younger people give
    > > them credit for - I know I was really surprised about what my Mother and
    > > Mother inlaw actually do on the Internet.
    > >

    > I'm glad you said 'surprised' and not 'shocked'!
    > ;^)

    The only time I've been "Shocked" was when I first started doing work
    for Sororities - the things that todays young adult women have on their
    PC's, not to mention in their dorm rooms....

    --

    Leythos
    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

  7. Re: ATTN: Leythos - Hardware Firewall Solution

    Leythos wrote:
    > In article ,
    > jaford@watford53.freeserve.co.uk says...
    >> Leythos wrote:
    >>> In article ,
    >>> jaford@watford53.freeserve.co.uk says...

    >>> Most seniors know more about the "Net" than most younger people give
    >>> them credit for - I know I was really surprised about what my Mother and
    >>> Mother inlaw actually do on the Internet.
    >>>

    >> I'm glad you said 'surprised' and not 'shocked'!
    >> ;^)

    > The only time I've been "Shocked" was when I first started doing work
    > for Sororities - the things that todays young adult women have on their
    > PC's, not to mention in their dorm rooms....

    Do tell!
    ;^)

    Jim Ford

  8. Re: ATTN: Leythos - Hardware Firewall Solution

    In article <%H%Ui.4566$%j2.1407@newsfe2-win.ntli.net>,
    jaford@watford53.freeserve.co.uk says...
    > Leythos wrote:
    > > In article ,
    > > jaford@watford53.freeserve.co.uk says...

    > >> I'm glad you said 'surprised' and not 'shocked'!
    > >> ;^)

    > > The only time I've been "Shocked" was when I first started doing work
    > > for Sororities - the things that todays young adult women have on their
    > > PC's, not to mention in their dorm rooms....
    > >

    > Do tell!

    LOL - Can't, NDA and all

    It's funny, when we get a call it's almost like a fight to see who will
    provide service - but I never let anyone else handle it - I've had a
    number of sexual harassment training classes and always ask (require)
    and escort from a house mother if we have to go anywhere other than the
    common areas.

    --

    Leythos
    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

  9. Re: ATTN: Leythos - Hardware Firewall Solution

    On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 11:11:29 GMT, Jim Ford
    wrote:

    >Spender wrote:
    >
    >> Of course they are all seniors, so they are terrified of the net.

    >Hey, wait a minute - I'm what you lot across the pond call a 'senior',
    >and I'm not 'terrified of the net'!

    I apologize for the generalization. But the fact is that the residents of
    this condo project are afraid of their television remotes.

  10. Re: ATTN: Leythos - Hardware Firewall Solution

    In article ,
    Spender@Mars.org says...
    > On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 11:11:29 GMT, Jim Ford
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Spender wrote:
    > >
    > >> Of course they are all seniors, so they are terrified of the net.

    > >Hey, wait a minute - I'm what you lot across the pond call a 'senior',
    > >and I'm not 'terrified of the net'!

    > I apologize for the generalization. But the fact is that the residents of
    > this condo project are afraid of their television remotes.

    He was kidding, in case it didn't come across that way.

    --

    Leythos
    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

  11. Re: ATTN: Leythos - Hardware Firewall Solution

    Spender wrote:
    > On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 11:11:29 GMT, Jim Ford
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Spender wrote:
    >>
    >>> Of course they are all seniors, so they are terrified of the net.

    >> Hey, wait a minute - I'm what you lot across the pond call a 'senior',
    >> and I'm not 'terrified of the net'!

    > I apologize for the generalization. But the fact is that the residents of
    > this condo project are afraid of their television remotes.

    It's mobile 'phones I hate. The only time I ever want to use mine, when
    I'm backpacking in the Scottish Mountains and want to reassure my wife
    that I'm OK, the damn thing doesn't work because it can't acquire a signal!

    Jim Ford

  12. Re: ATTN: Leythos - Hardware Firewall Solution

    Leythos wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Spender@Mars.org says...
    >> On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 11:11:29 GMT, Jim Ford
    >> wrote:

    >>> Hey, wait a minute - I'm what you lot across the pond call a 'senior',
    >>> and I'm not 'terrified of the net'!

    >> I apologize for the generalization. But the fact is that the residents of
    >> this condo project are afraid of their television remotes.

    > He was kidding, in case it didn't come across that way.

    What, me kidding that I'm not afraid of the net?
    ;^)

    Jim Ford

+ Reply to Thread